Fire Ty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I have a buddy who was a non-LDS BYU prof. His dept chair told him he didn't care if he consumed beer/coffee at home as long as he kept everything on the down low.
    I still would see that as way too restrictive. You cannot have a beer, shot, or a glass of wine with a meal? Unless you buy your own draft system, you are going to have any beers on draft. You cannot go to Publik and get a nitro cold brew. The coffee you get a really good coffee shop is better than anything you are going to brew at home as well.

If you want to put absurd restrictions on people you have no religious basis for the restrictions, you are going to have to compensate them for it. BYU is not very good at compensating people for submitting to their bizarre regulations.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Do you have to breathe?
      Yes! I do.

The absurdity of the honor code has to be the most bizarre thing about BYU, which I consider to be an ultimately bizarre place. "You can drink coffee if you come here, just as long as it is hush-hush!" Huzzah for progress!

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
        I still would see that as way too restrictive. You cannot have a beer, shot, or a glass of wine with a meal? Unless you buy your own draft system, you are going to have any beers on draft. You cannot go to Publik and get a nitro cold brew. The coffee you get a really good coffee shop is better than anything you are going to brew at home as well.

If you want to put absurd restrictions on people you have no religious basis for the restrictions, you are going to have to compensate them for it. BYU is not very good at compensating people for submitting to their bizarre regulations.

A good rule of thumb is to gauge mpfunk's level of outrage and then dial it back by about 60-70%. That will give you the general public's perception of the issue.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
          Yes! I do.

The absurdity of the honor code has to be the most bizarre thing about BYU, which I consider to be an ultimately bizarre place. "You can drink coffee if you come here, just as long as it is hush-hush!" Huzzah for progress!
          Psshaw. You know that is not the official policy.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yes! I do.

I am 99% sure that is not an official policy. Just thought it was an interesting anecdote. Sorry to trigger you and funk.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Is Ed Lamb a good coach?
              Good coach. Great human being.

SUU was really sad when Lamb left, but a lot of that sting has gone since his successor (Demario Warren) just won a conference championship & earned a first-round bye in the FCS playoffs.

I already checked for you guys. Pretty sure Demario isn't LDS.
              "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
              -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

• Originally posted by Solon View Post
                Good coach. Great human being.

SUU was really sad when Lamb left, but a lot of that sting has gone since his successor (Demario Warren) just won a conference championship & earned a first-round bye in the FCS playoffs.

I already checked for you guys. Pretty sure Demario isn't LDS.
                Is he willing to restrict his coffee and alcohol intake to the privacy of his own home?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                  But the list doesn't account for the years Ty spent as a de facto QB coach in the NFL, where he taught Brett Favre what a nickel defense is.
                  Yeah, time to put that trope to bed. Being a stable older QB that knows the offense and can help explain it to the starter is a world away from setting a game plan, calling plays and overseeing a scheme.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

I am 99% sure that is not an official policy. Just thought it was an interesting anecdote. Sorry to trigger you and funk.
                    Pretty sure the official policy says it’s OK to have coffee in your car while driving to work also but under no circumstance can you bring it to your desk. Think of the children! Wouldn’t want them exposed to that.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                      Pretty sure the official policy says it’s OK to have coffee in your car while driving to work also but under no circumstance can you bring it to your desk. Think of the children! Wouldn’t want them exposed to that.
                      That would kill over on LA Ute’s board.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

That would kill over on LA Ute’s board.
                        Sorry. Good point. Nothing weird about coffee police.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                          Sorry. Good point. Nothing weird about coffee police.
                          Yes! Mormons are weird. Surprised you didn’t know that.

Comment

Yes! Mormons are weird. Surprised you didn’t know that.
                            Peculiar
                            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• I guess it's done. Who's up next for O.C.?
                              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                                I guess it's done. Who's up next for O.C.?
                                https://byucougars.com/story/footbal...dinator-duties

The official story is that Detmer is relieved of duties, and the new OC(whoever that will be) will pick the new staff.
                                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Working...
                                X