Neb. is a top 30-60 team: now and forever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
    America's finest showed up by the thousands in Norman, notwithstanding the predicted blowout. By the fourth quarter, when everyone in the stadium recognized that Army might actually pull off the upset, the troops were going completely bananas. Very fun to watch.

(But seriously, with 350 yards on the ground and already 2 of 3 with an INT when passing, WTH was Army's QB thinking airing out the ball on fourth down in OT?!)
    What the heck was the deal with that game? I saw the score and tried to flip to the channel it was on... $55 PPV?!? Good thing some guy was filming it with his cell phone on twitch!
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      What the heck was the deal with that game? I saw the score and tried to flip to the channel it was on... $55 PPV?!? Good thing some guy was filming it with his cell phone on twitch!
      Yup. And my friends that shelled out 60 for the PPV said the feed didn't work and the carrier wouldn't refund the fee. I tried to sympathize but it's hard to care all that much when you're siting in lowers on the 40.

Comment

• From the Austin paper:

The Cornhuskers are a bad, bad football team, one of only four winless clubs in America, joining UCLA, UTEP and San Jose State. Frost took the job for all the wrong reasons, NU being his alma mater and a compelling decision to return home and be near family. He could have landed probably Florida State or Florida and would have been much better off. Nebraska will never be Nebraska again.

If “Nebraska will never be Nebraska again,” why? Is it conference realignment or scholarship limits or what?

Comment

If “Nebraska will never be Nebraska again,” why? Is it conference realignment or scholarship limits or what?
          Have you been to Nebraska? It's almost as white as Provo and is in the middle of nowhere. Football has gone black (for lack of a better term) and moved to the South. Nebraska is now in a conference in the midwest and heartland. They would be better off playing in Texas, where recruiting would be better. Ohio State is kind of the anomoly, but going back to Nebraska last NC it's been all southern teams except OSU.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            Have you been to Nebraska? It's almost as white as Provo and is in the middle of nowhere. Football has gone black (for lack of a better term) and moved to the South. Nebraska is now in a conference in the midwest and heartland. They would be better off playing in Texas, where recruiting would be better. Ohio State is kind of the anomoly, but going back to Nebraska last NC it's been all southern teams except OSU.
            Yikes
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Comment

• I blame Trump.

Comment

• I’m pretty sure there is a better term. Also, non-Ohio State/southern state teams have won since Nebraska. The SEC has been pretty dominant, but Oklahoma and USC have both won. USC has multiple titles.
                  A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
                    I’m pretty sure there is a better term. Also, non-Ohio State/southern state teams have won since Nebraska. The SEC has been pretty dominant, but Oklahoma and USC have both won. USC has multiple titles.
                    Oklahoma and USC are not in southern states? USC is pretty far south
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I think you’re arguing that Nebraska is landlocked in corn country with few avenues by which to recruit speed, which is true, as there only so many high schools in Kansas City. Oklahoma has Texas. USC and Oregon have California.

Your reference to Oklahoma’s title actually militates against the argument, though. It was 18 years ago and done with a team of almost entirely in-state recruits that had dreamed of playing for the Sooners and were willing to do so through a string of losing seasons. The running back was from a 3A school and ran a 5.0 40. Guys like that are now routinely passed over in favor of speedy prima donnas from Houston, DC, or Bishop Gorman. I’m not sure it’s a net gain when half of those 4 and 5 stars end up transferring out after they realize what it’s like to live in Oklahoma.

As far as the Dixieland South is concerned, ESPN has been wildly successful in promoting that part of the country, whether SEC or ACC, as the premiere place to play or watch college ball. It’s hard for kids from anywhere in the country to pass up that prestige.

Comment

I think you’re arguing that Nebraska is landlocked in corn country with few avenues by which to recruit speed, which is true, as there only so many high schools in Kansas City. Oklahoma has Texas. USC and Oregon have California.

Your reference to Oklahoma’s title actually militates against the argument, though. It was 18 years ago and done with a team of almost entirely in-state recruits that had dreamed of playing for the Sooners and were willing to do so through a string of losing seasons. The running back was from a 3A school and ran a 5.0 40. Guys like that are now routinely passed over in favor of speedy prima donnas from Houston, DC, or Bishop Gorman. I’m not sure it’s a net gain when half of those 4 and 5 stars end up transferring out after they realize what it’s like to live in Oklahoma.

As far as the Dixieland South is concerned, ESPN has been wildly successful in promoting that part of the country, whether SEC or ACC, as the premiere place to play or watch college ball. It’s hard for kids from anywhere in the country to pass up that prestige.
                        Oklahoma is an outlier, but I’d argue they are still relevant due to their ties to Texas (mainly Dallas). But a 1 in 18 anomaly doesn’t invalidate the premise. And don’t blame it on ESPN. The southern schools and their fans love football. They shovel out ungodly amounts of money to win. Look at aTm and Jimbo. FSU might just fire their coach and eat $20+ million just so they can win now instead of waiting five years.

Football is more important than church to these people. The Oklahoma’s and Ohio States have the history and fan base and Oklahoma has the recruiting. Nebraska had it but it’s gone and moving to the Big 10 didn’t help...it hurt.

Comment

Utah won in 08. But I guess you counted them as southern.

Comment

Oklahoma is an outlier, but I’d argue they are still relevant.
                            How gracious of you.

Comment

How gracious of you.
                              Ha, no wonder you and Niku got along so splendidly.

Comment

Warm weather states is a better description.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X