The Official High School Football Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
    We usually deal with this thing in Utah called "snow" that usually falls in November/December. I don't know if y'all have heard of it or not. And if there isn't snow, the temp is usually pretty cold. While it's fine to play a game in occasionally, it's probably not exactly conducive for HS kids to be out practicing in it 4 days a week. Unfortunately, our HS don't have indoor football facilities to combat the cold weather.
    Yes, we have seen that snow stuff a few times. It usually leaves the next day.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      I still can't over how big and athletic that East team is. But they got out-coached today. All that talent but they are one-dimensional with only 12 yards passing.

East is 33-4 over the last three years. Two losses to Logan and two losses to Timpview. Can't win the big games.
      Fight on you Thunderbirds, wherever you may be!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        Yes, we have seen that snow stuff a few times. It usually leaves the next day.
        Folks just need to understand Texas prep football or Friday Night Lights. Here's a two minute youtube video of my local team the Allen Eagles. They're undefeated and defending 5-A division I Texas state champions; have won their first two playoff games so the field of 64 is now at 16. Play again this weekend in Baylor's stadium. Their starting center is LDS and has verbaled to BYU. Their Jr. starting QB is being billed by some as the next Johnny Football and will probably end up signing with Texas A&M - Aggies have offered and is the son of a former Aggie QB.

Last edited by Paperback Writer; 11-25-2013, 09:03 AM.
        “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
        "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
          Folks just need to understand Texas prep football or Friday Night Lights. Here's a two minute youtube video of my local team the Allen Eagles. They're undefeated and defending 5-A division I Texas state champions; have won their first two playoff games so the field of 64 is now at 16. Play again this weekend in Baylor's stadium. Their starting center is LDS and has verbaled to BYU. Their Jr. starting QB is being billed by some as the next Johnny Football and will probably end up signing with Texas A&M - Aggies have offered and is the son of a former Aggie QB.
          I am planning to take a trip to Arlington to see the 5A championship games. I expect Allen will be there given how they have been playing and being ranked #1. It should be fun.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I am planning to take a trip to Arlington to see the 5A championship games. I expect Allen will be there given how they have been playing and being ranked #1. It should be fun.
            There is a Hawaiian family in my ward that has been taking the discussions and are set to be baptized next month (in Hawaii). Two of their sons play for Bishop Gorman (the family moved here so they could play there). The boys have been pretty quiet in church for the most part, but yesterday in priesthood the older boy stood up and invited the entire ward to the state championship game in two weeks, "if God blesses us to be there." They still have to beat Palo Verde next week in the semis. If they make it, I will be in the stands with my son at Sam Boyd.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
              There is a Hawaiian family in my ward that has been taking the discussions and are set to be baptized next month (in Hawaii). Two of their sons play for Bishop Gorman (the family moved here so they could play there). The boys have been pretty quiet in church for the most part, but yesterday in priesthood the older boy stood up and invited the entire ward to the state championship game in two weeks, "if God blesses us to be there." They still have to beat Palo Verde next week in the semis. If they make it, I will be in the stands with my son at Sam Boyd.
              Palo rules!
              I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                Palo rules!
                Palo DROOLS!
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

There are still so many good teams. If Allen beats The Woodlands next week (don't know much about that Houston area team) they will probably play Dallas Skyline. I think Allen can win those two but Skyline has a very good offense. Then Allen will most likely have DeSoto or Southlake Carroll waiting for them in the semis. DeSoto is as good as Allen and it's always difficult to defeat the same good team (Southlake Carroll) twice in the same season.

The next 5-A District I champion will come from that side of the bracket - the winner of Allen vs DeSoto/Southlake Carroll.
                  “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    Palo DROOLS!
                    :anger:
                    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

There are still so many good teams. If Allen beats The Woodlands next week (don't know much about that Houston area team) they will probably play Dallas Skyline. I think Allen can win those two but Skyline has a very good offense. Then Allen will most likely have DeSoto or Southlake Carroll waiting for them in the semis. DeSoto is as good as Allen and it's always difficult to defeat the same good team (Southlake Carroll) twice in the same season.

The next 5-A District I champion will come from that side of the bracket - the winner of Allen vs DeSoto/Southlake Carroll.
                      Yeah, I agree...

Allen should beat the Woodlands. I think Dallas Skyline beat them at their home. Dallas Skyline is pretty good but not as good as Allen. They beat Plano by a couple of touchdowns. Allen kicked the crap out of Plano in district play. So I suspect Allen will win Region 2 if they stay healthy.

Southlake Carroll and Trinity get to beat each other up this next week and the winner of that (most likely Carroll) will get to lose to DeSoto for Region 1. I hope that Caroll doesn't beat DeSoto. Allen has had bad luck playing them in the past. The semifinal game between Allen (ranked #1) and DeSoto (ranked #2) should be a good one. Yes, the winner of that I suspect will be the state champion for division 1. I suspect they will be playing Houston Lamar. The other good team coming out of Houston is Katy but they are in division 2.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yeah, I agree...

Allen should beat the Woodlands. I think Dallas Skyline beat them at their home. Dallas Skyline is pretty good but not as good as Allen. They beat Plano by a couple of touchdowns. Allen kicked the crap out of Plano in district play. So I suspect Allen will win Region 2 if they stay healthy.

Southlake Carroll and Trinity get to beat each other up this next week and the winner of that (most likely Carroll) will get to lose to DeSoto for Region 1. I hope that Caroll doesn't beat DeSoto. Allen has had bad luck playing them in the past. The semifinal game between Allen (ranked #1) and DeSoto (ranked #2) should be a good one. Yes, the winner of that I suspect will be the state champion for division 1. I suspect they will be playing Houston Lamar. The other good team coming out of Houston is Katy but they are in division 2.
                        I think you are spot on. Allen has beaten Southlake Carroll the last two seasons in non-division play. But has yet to defeat them in the playoffs and Southlake has knocked Allen out about 4-5 times. But I think Allen has finally turned the corner on Southlake but they are closely matched.

I wish Katy were in the Division I bracket. On second thought, maybe not. I think Katy was playing better football than Allen last year in the playoffs and would have beaten Allen had they played. Their OL looked like it was a BCS OL and their stud RB is redshirting at Nebraska this year.

Comment

I know everyone is interested in the MO 6A finals, so in the interest of everyone, at the end of the first quarter Blue Springs 7 - Rock Bridge - 0
                          Last edited by lambdacoug; 11-29-2013, 08:45 PM.
                          Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                          - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                          - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

Well, at the end if the half it looks like Blue Springs will repeat as State Champ. BSHS 28 - Rock Bridge - 7
                            Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                            - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                            - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

I think you are spot on. Allen has beaten Southlake Carroll the last two seasons in non-division play. But has yet to defeat them in the playoffs and Southlake has knocked Allen out about 4-5 times. But I think Allen has finally turned the corner on Southlake but they are closely matched.

I wish Katy were in the Division I bracket. On second thought, maybe not. I think Katy was playing better football than Allen last year in the playoffs and would have beaten Allen had they played. Their OL looked like it was a BCS OL and their stud RB is redshirting at Nebraska this year.
                              I just got back from watching HP go down to Denton Guyer at Allen's temple of the football gods. Guyer had a heck of a 4th quarter. I noticed the Eagles are down to DeSoto in the 4th quarter. It hasn't been a good football Saturday.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I just got back from watching HP go down to Denton Guyer at Allen's temple of the football gods. Guyer had a heck of a 4th quarter. I noticed the Eagles are down to DeSoto in the 4th quarter. It hasn't been a good football Saturday.
                                I suppose the day got better when Allen overcame a 15-point deficit to defeat DeSoto (42-35). Sometimes it's just good fortune that seperates two outstanding teams like having a short punt bounce off a blocker in the final minute. I couldn't believe the number of penalty flags thrown on both teams (100+ yards against each team).

Allen plays Pearland in the Division I 5-A finals at Jerry World/Cowboy AT&T Stadium. The other game, Divion II 5-A, is a rematch of last year's championship game: Katy vs Cedar Hill. Although I have a lot of respect for Katy, I'm rooting for Cedar Hill so Allen can claim they beat the other division's champion. Cedar Hill's only losses were against Allen and DeSoto.

Comment

Working...
                                X