OU vs. Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
    Did you show those photos to Sister TD before posting them? Is she a Lindsey fan too?
    And what the heck are they doing in a thread about OU and Texas?

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
      I've gotta congratulate you, JL. You're playing the role of the Texas homer to a T. I imagine you're trolling, but I'll play:

I'm confused by your logic. How is it that the OU-Texas head-to-head counts, but the Tech-Texas head-to-head doesn't? You're comparing this to a playoff, but in a playoff all the games count. You don't get to pick and choose.

And is it really helpful to your cause to delineate all the weaknesses of the team that defeated the team you're trying to promote?

To defend Tech:
      Tech indeed barely got by Baylor today, but that was with Crabtree out of the game altogether, and Harrell playing injured, surgery expected this week. And as far as Baylor is concerned, the Longhorns struggled against Baylor the first half, and that was playing healthy and in Austin.

The truth is that no one of those three teams has any more legitimate argument than the other two. Hence, three-way tie. The sad aspect of the whole scenario is that we've reduced our head coaches to having to lobby for support. That's not sport. That's politics.
      Of course I am biased. I wonder even begin to argue that. And I believe everyone here knows my biases.

Yes, I will agree that TT makes it even messier. What I am saying is that if it boils down to OU vs. Texas (which is how it appears to me based on the the polls and the discussion in the national press) I fail to see how someone who believes in the concept of a playoff system would argue for OU. I don't think anyone has rebutted that yet.

Don't worry, you are still my favorite librarian/superhero/sooner fan.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Of course I am biased. I wonder even begin to argue that. And I believe everyone here knows my biases.

Yes, I will agree that TT makes it even messier. What I am saying is that if it boils down to OU vs. Texas (which is how it appears to me based on the the polls and the discussion in the national press) I fail to see how someone who believes in the concept of a playoff system would argue for OU. I don't think anyone has rebutted that yet.

Don't worry, you are still my favorite librarian/superhero/sooner fan.

That is the point you are missing, it doesnt boil down to OU vs Texas. There is a 3 way tie. Not a two way. Quick reminder:

[YOUTUBE]ZaN_ce47MOY[/YOUTUBE]
        *Banned*

Comment

It will be OU in the Big 12 championship and the whole state of Texas is gonna be pissed. Mack Brown will be whining about this for a long time.

Mizzou doesn't stand a chance against OU, either.

A Florida-OU matchup for the NC will be a great game, though. I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
            That is the point you are missing, it doesnt boil down to OU vs Texas. There is a 3 way tie. Not a two way. Quick reminder:
            Tech played a weaker overall schedule than either OU or Texas, and had two very close wins at home against Baylor and Nebraska. To me, that takes Tech out of the picture.

The problem, though, is that if you use the "beauty contest" criterion to take Tech out of the equation, it doesn't seem right to then switch from a "beauty contest" (which favors OU) to the "head-to-head" criterion to choose Texas over OU.

I think OU would win six out of ten games against Texas, but I'm not sure how I would vote if it were up to me.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
              Tech played a weaker overall schedule than either OU or Texas, and had two very close wins at home against Baylor and Nebraska. To me, that takes Tech out of the picture.

The problem, though, is that if you use the "beauty contest" criterion to take Tech out of the equation, it doesn't seem right to then switch from a "beauty contest" (which favors OU) to the "head-to-head" criterion to choose Texas over OU.

I think OU would win six out of ten games against Texas, but I'm not sure how I would vote if it were up to me.
              Weaker overall schedule? All three are 11-1 and all three played a very similar Big 12 schedule. Also a win is a win, I think its bullcrap if margin of victory is taken in to account. If you want margin of victory used then that should have been made the tiebreaker and I am sure Tech could have ran it up on a few more teams like Oklahoma.
              *Banned*

Comment

Out of conference schedules:

Texas Tech: Eastern Washington (1-AA), Massachusetts (1-AA), Nevada (7-5), SMU (1-10)

Texas: Florida Atlantic (5-7), Rice (9-3), Arkansas (5-7), UTEP (5-7)

Oklahoma TCU (10-2), Cincinatti (10-2), Chattanooga (1-AA), Washington (0-12)

Looks like Tech took the easy way out non-conference, Texas played a bit tougher schedule, but Oklahoma wanted a challenge.

Not that this means anything but you wonder why when you have a 3 way tie in the same conference that one team has a higher BCS ranking than another.
                *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                  Weaker overall schedule? All three are 11-1 and all three played a very similar Big 12 schedule. Also a win is a win, I think its bullcrap if margin of victory is taken in to account. If you want margin of victory used then that should have been made the tiebreaker and I am sure Tech could have ran it up on a few more teams like Oklahoma.
                  Yeah, remember all those games where Leach pulled Crabtree and Harrell out in the third quarter in order to avoid running up the score?

I agree that their schedules are very similar, but if you're looking for subtle ways to try to separate these teams, you can look at their unique wins: Texas crushed Mizzou, OU crushed TCU, and Tech beat Nevada on the road.

Tech also played two FCS teams in Massachussetts and Eastern Washington while Texas and OU handily beat (respectively) Rice and Cincinnatti teams that turned out to be pretty solid. It's not a big difference, but Texas and OU definitely played and beat better teams than Tech. Somebody should tell Leach to schedule a little tougher next time.
                  Last edited by CardiacCoug; 11-30-2008, 08:22 AM.

Comment

I remember a couple of days ago when TD was asking whether we were discussing who's the Pac 10 champ or who's playing in the Rose Bowl, which apparently aren't necessarily the same thing. I think there's similar ambiguity here.

I think JL is trying to argue that Texas should be ranked higher than Oklahoma, which is different than arguing over who won the Big 12 South. There's no way to get around the fact that there's a three-way tie for the south.

JL, there are legitimate (and pretty convincing) arguments as to why Texas should be ranked higher than Oklahoma. But I don't think the outcome of that one game is one of them, because if it were, Tech would be ranked ahead of Texas, Oregon State would be ahead of USC, and Ole Miss would be looking at heading to the national title game.

And I think your comparison to playoff argument is weakening your case, as it pulls the Tech loss back into the equation.

Comment

I get the sense that nobody is really arguing that Texas Tech should go in over Texas or Oklahoma. People are only trying to decide whether Texas or Oklahoma should get in.

I have the perfect solution: have Texas and Oklahoma play each other, and have the winner of that game go to the championship game.
                      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                        I have the perfect solution: have Texas and Oklahoma play each other, and have the winner of that game go to the championship game.
                        Ha! So Texas it is!

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                          I get the sense that nobody is really arguing that Texas Tech should go in over Texas or Oklahoma. People are only trying to decide whether Texas or Oklahoma should get in.
                          If I were a Red Raider fan, I'd be really pissed. For one thing, nobody gives a rats ass that my team knocked off the Longhorns. For another, I'm stuck living in Lubbock.

Comment

The assumption here is that the Big 12 south winner will defeat Missouri in the conference title game and then head to play for the national championship.

But here's some fun:

If Missouri upsets the south winner (UT/OU) in the Big 12 title game, then there's a good likelihood that the left out southern team (OU/UT) will play for the national title. Then Missouri gets the conference's auto-bid (having won the conference), and both Tech and the winner of the south division end up left out of the BCS altogether.

So how backwards is that? The winner of what is arguably (I said arguably) the strongest division in the strongest conference in all of college football would not only get shut out of the national title game, it wouldn't even get a BCS bid.**

**preemptive aside to Il Pad: yes, we know you won't shed any tears for the Big 12 south.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                              **preemptive aside to Il Pad: yes, we know you won't shed any tears for the Big 12 south.
                              secondary aside to Il Pad: that sounded more acrid than it was supposed to. Sorry about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                                Ha! So Texas it is!
                                Why, I suppose so.

Also-- I anxiously await the new rule that says that no team that fails to win its conference is eligible for the championship game. Certainly they must win their division.
                                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Working...
                                X