Anae back at BYU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    Yes, it was I but it wasn't so much the deep ball as it was the mid-tier passing game. I think long balls are nice but not really a huge component, but the ability to get 15-25 yards without much YAC is immensely important to BYU's offense. BYU is not going to historically get the types of athletes that will make big plays out of little plays out in space or whatever the cute term du jour means for kids with the ability to take it the distance on any play. They will get some on occassion but not enough to design an offense around. But BYU has had some really good offenses without that ability many times. The key to a good BYU offense is the ability to get the ball down the field in huge chunks. This requires a quarterback with a strong arm who can get throw deep crossing and out patterns. It requires an OL that can give the quarterback that type of time. It requires a competent rushing game to freeze LBs and it requires the least amount from receivers as any below average wide out can get a little space on a deep out or crossing pattern.

If opposing defenses genuinely have to respect the mid tier passing game it opens up a heck of a lot. Jake Heaps had that type of arm. I don't know if Taysom Hill has/does or will. I think Mangum will have that type of arm as well. However, without significant improvement on the OL it might not matter what type of arm the qb has. Also with the receivers BYU has next year they do have better ability to get YAC. But schematically, BYU's offense should put as big chunk yardage pressure as it can on the quarterbacks arm strength and the OL because methinks BYU will find those types of players more consistently than they will find Hoffmans and Apos.
    From earlier in this thread:

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
    One way to look at what Anae's passing offense is designed to do is by looking at the distribution of completions by yards gained.

x <= 5 Yards -- 21.4%
    5 > x >= 10 -- 31.9%
    10 > x >= 15 -- 21.9%
    15 > x >= 25 -- 16.8%
    x > 25 -- 7.9%

So over half of BYU's completions from 2005 to 2010 were for 10 yards or less. How do these categories compare against the rest of the nation?

x <= 5 Yards -- 112th
    5 > x >= 10 -- 30th
    10 > x >= 15 -- 5th
    15 > x >= 25 -- 23rd
    x > 25 -- 95th

21.9% of BYU's completions were between 10 and 15 yards. Only 4 other teams threw for that distance more frequently than BYU over that time period. Unsurprisingly, BYU is ranked very low (95th) on deep passes, but perhaps surprisingly to some, BYU also didn't throw little dinky passes (5 yards or less) anywhere near as often as the rest of the nation.

The fingerprint of the Anae offense is a solid intermediate passing game. If the OL can provide some measure of protection for the next BYU QB, that's the kind of throws I would expect to see in 2013.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

• With Anae as OC, #BYU had the highest passing efficiency (171.2) in the nation when in the 4th quarter trailing by 7 points or less.

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        With Anae as OC, #BYU had the highest passing efficiency (171.2) in the nation when in the 4th quarter trailing by 7 points or less.
        Didn't Max Hall have a near flawless record when trailing by 7 points or less in the 4th?
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          Didn't Max Hall have a near flawless record when trailing by 7 points or less in the 4th?
          Hall was 10-0 for his career in games decided by 7 points or less.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/coachingsearch/s...20074424057856

Sources tell me Sacramento State OC Paul Peterson has interviewed with BYU.

Comment

• DuPaix and Cahoon gone.

Greg Wrubell ‏@gregwrubell
              Hearing that BYU RB coach Joe DuPaix and WR coach Ben Cahoon were let go on Monday. Fmr OC Brandon Doman's status still to be determined.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                DuPaix and Cahoon gone.
                The only names I like with two capitals are Irish....or (mis)written by '71.

So the known coaching staff on offense is:

Anae OC/OL
                Atuaia RB
                Still to fill a receivers coach and a qb coach and the names mentioned are:

Paul Peterson
                Jason Beck
                Brandon Doman
                Max Hall
                Ty Detmer
                Perhaps Andy Reid or Mike Holmgren

I want Max Hall because he wanted to beat Utah and I hear that isn't important to Mendenhall. He just has the motto of showing up to play games at the right time in the right place. If he had fire like Kyle Whittingham he would probably never have a losing season.
                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

So the known coaching staff on offense is:

Anae OC/OL
                  Atuaia RB
                  Still to fill a receivers coach and a qb coach and the names mentioned are:

Paul Peterson
                  Jason Beck
                  Brandon Doman
                  Max Hall
                  Ty Detmer
                  Perhaps Andy Reid or Mike Holmgren

I want Max Hall because he wanted to beat Utah and I hear that isn't important to Mendenhall. He just has the motto of showing up to play games at the right time in the right place. If he had fire like Kyle Whittingham he would probably never have a losing season.
                  You can scratch Andy Reid from your list. I doubt he'll leave the Chiefs.

Sent from a Jelly Bean
                  Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                  - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                  - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
                    You can scratch Andy Reid from your list. I doubt he'll leave the Chiefs.

Sent from a Jelly Bean
                    Until BYU announces its staff I choose to keep an open mind.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Until BYU announces its staff I choose to keep an open mind.
                      Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brains spill out. BYU71 is a perfect example of this.

Comment

DuPaix and Cahoon gone.
                        Maybe some things are changing at BYU. Just isn't the organizations style to hire a guy for a couple of years and say, adios amigos.

Cahoon may just figure he doesn't need it and left on his own and Dupaix being a Doman guy doesn't like how things have been handled and left on his own.

If possible (meaning qualified), I would love to see AA and non member hires happen.

Comment

I think LaVell has a nice ring to it and he isn't Irish.

Comment

DuPaix and Cahoon gone.
                            One of those I couldn't care less about. The other one I'm pretty bummed about, although that may just be because I've been mesmerized by his boyish good looks.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                              Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brains spill out. BYU71 is a perfect example of this.
                              No kidding he is advocating hiring All Americans and folks who are not members of either the NRA or the Republican Party!

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                                And you all benefit by my willing to let you take a good look at my brains.

Comment

Working...
                                X