I don't get why football is popular

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Levin
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 1152

    #1

    I don't get why football is popular

    Actually I do get it. The same reason the Romans loved the gladiators. The blood and violence. The possibility -- and likelihood -- that you'd get to witness someone get physically disfigured.

    But we know more about our bloodsport than the Romans did about theirs. We know that we're watching men damage their brains with each play. Literally causing brain atrophy with each helmet impact. How can you watch it? How can you watch the first chapters of a future murder?

    Football used to be a beautiful sport. But now it's no better than an amped up sex and violence fest set to metal music. It's the sport of Michael Mann and Jerry Bruckheimer. And people waste away their weekends and lives on that crap. When the history books are written after our civilization has ended, this all will be commented upon.

    But for me and my house, no thanks.
  • UtahDan
    *
    • Nov 2008
    • 14496

    #2
    You are a cotton headed ninny-muggins. And this effort is not your best, maybe a 2.

    Comment

    • Donuthole
      Official Outgayer
      • Nov 2008
      • 25268

      #3
      Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
      You are a cotton headed ninny-muggins. And this effort is not your best, maybe a 2.
      Avril Levin is definitely attempting to be incendiary, but I kind of agree with his premise. He's a little melodramatic, but i do think at some point in the future (50 years? 100?) we'll look back on football from 1950ish to now and realize how stupidly dangerous it was (is).
      Last edited by Donuthole; 12-09-2012, 01:32 AM.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

      There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

      Comment

      • Clark Addison
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 10312

        #4
        Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        Avril Levin is definitely attempting to be incendiary, but I kind of agree with his premise. He's a little melodramatic, but i do think at some point in the future (50 years? 100?) we'll look back on football from 1950ish to now and realize how stupidly dangerous it was (is).
        I forget whether we have discussed this or not, but Malcolm Gladwell agrees with you.

        From 2009: An offensive lineman can’t do his job without “using his head,” one veteran says, but neuropathologists examining the brains of ex-N.F.L. players have found trauma-related degeneration, Malcolm Gladwell writes.


        I didn't re-read the article, but his time frame is even shorter than yours. I think something like 20 years.

        Comment

        • Katy Lied
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 9435

          #5
          That Malcolm Gladwell changed my mind on football. (If it's the one that compares Michael Vick's pitbulls to football players) After reading it, I really think I don't want my sons to play.

          That article is significant.

          Comment

          • smokymountainrain
            Impressive Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 22593

            #6
            Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
            That Malcolm Gladwell changed my mind on football. (If it's the one that compares Michael Vick's pitbulls to football players) After reading it, I really think I don't want my sons to play.

            That article is significant.
            You hear all the tragic NFL related storie like Waters, Webster, Seau, etc, but how much is out there regarding football players who just played through HS? I don't know of any former HS football players who have had issues due to their having played the game. Let's face it, none of our kids will be playing in the NFL.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

            Comment

            • NorthShoreCoug
              Junior Member
              • Mar 2009
              • 327

              #7
              Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
              That Malcolm Gladwell changed my mind on football. (If it's the one that compares Michael Vick's pitbulls to football players) After reading it, I really think I don't want my sons to play.

              That article is significant.
              I've never wanted my kids to play organized football - to date, none of them have shown much interest, even though I've played backyard football with them. But college football is my favorite spectator sport - does this make me a hypocrite?

              Comment

              • FN Phat
                I ♥ gateway sex
                • Feb 2009
                • 8691

                #8
                Shocker.
                I'm your huckleberry.


                "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                Comment

                • ERCougar
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 10978

                  #9
                  I still like watching football, but I'm not disappointed at all that my oldest is more into soccer (I know...there are head injury issues there too).

                  Another guilty pleasure of our culture--MMA fighting. It's disgusting, brutal, and unapologetically violent. But I couldn't help but watch last night.
                  At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                  -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                  Comment

                  • ERCougar
                    Junior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10978

                    #10
                    Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                    You hear all the tragic NFL related storie like Waters, Webster, Seau, etc, but how much is out there regarding football players who just played through HS? I don't know of any former HS football players who have had issues due to their having played the game. Let's face it, none of our kids will be playing in the NFL.
                    You don't know any dumb former HS football players?

                    Yes, it's true that the forces aren't nearly as high, but the medical supervision is also pretty poor. I've heard some shaky stories of players being allowed to go back in the game. And then come to the ER AFTER the game. lol.

                    There are just much better sports for kids to get into. Swimming, Cross country, basketball, even track--all put you on a lifetime healthy fitness track. Football, not so much.
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                    Comment

                    • The_Douger
                      Athletic Supporter
                      • Jun 2012
                      • 5413

                      #11
                      I don't really get why soccer is popular either.
                      Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

                      Comment

                      • Bo Diddley
                        Senior
                        • Jul 2012
                        • 18802

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Levin View Post
                        But we know more about our bloodsport than the Romans did about theirs. We know that we're watching men damage their brains with each play.
                        Right. Because the Romans didn't know that a sword draws blood.

                        Comment

                        • smokymountainrain
                          Impressive Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22593

                          #13
                          Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                          You don't know any dumb former HS football players?

                          Yes, it's true that the forces aren't nearly as high, but the medical supervision is also pretty poor. I've heard some shaky stories of players being allowed to go back in the game. And then come to the ER AFTER the game. lol.

                          There are just much better sports for kids to get into. Swimming, Cross country, basketball, even track--all put you on a lifetime healthy fitness track. Football, not so much.
                          When I run down the list of my most successful friends from HS, I'd say close to 90% of them were football players. Sure there are dangers to playing football, but it can be dangerous simply walking down the street. I guess I'm not convinced that long term negative effects of playing football - at least through HS - outweigh the positive.

                          I admit I'm only drawing from personal experience and the sample size is small, but until we have studies that showing playing football through HS is detrimental to long term happiness/success, I'll let my kid play.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

                          Comment

                          • ERCougar
                            Junior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 10978

                            #14
                            Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            When I run down the list of my most successful friends from HS, I'd say close to 90% of them were football players. Sure there are dangers to playing football, but it can be dangerous simply walking down the street. I guess I'm not convinced that long term negative effects of playing football - at least through HS - outweigh the positive.

                            I admit I'm only drawing from personal experience and the sample size is small, but until we have studies that showing playing football through HS is detrimental to long term happiness/success, I'll let my kid play.
                            90% of the most successful people you know? or 90% of your friends from HS?

                            My numbers aren't even close to that. I have plenty of friends who played football, some of them successful, but definitely not the norm. I've mentioned my dad before and he's a big football success story*, so I'm not denying the benefits that football (or other organized team sports) can have--I just think the whole thing is so different now. I'm not sure it's so healthy (for lots of non-head trauma reasons too).

                            *of course, he's 80 lbs overweight...
                            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                            Comment

                            • smokymountainrain
                              Impressive Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22593

                              #15
                              Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                              90% of the most successful people you know? or 90% of your friends from HS?

                              My numbers aren't even close to that. I have plenty of friends who played football, some of them successful, but definitely not the norm. I've mentioned my dad before and he's a big football success story*, so I'm not denying the benefits that football (or other organized team sports) can have--I just think the whole thing is so different now. I'm not sure it's so healthy (for lots of non-head trauma reasons too).

                              *of course, he's 80 lbs overweight...
                              90% of the friends who I've stayed in contact with.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

                              Comment

                              Working...