Post Spring SI Top 25

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Coach McGuirk
    1
    • Nov 2008
    • 12109

    #1

    Post Spring SI Top 25

    TCU is 11, Utah is 19. BYU in others getting votes. That is a lot of respect earned for last year in my opinion. Stunned that ND is in at 25. They are like a cockroach in preseason top 25's.

    Last edited by Coach McGuirk; 04-30-2009, 08:45 AM.
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #2
    I know they are popping up on several radars, but I am not buying the Ole Miss hype. Not yet, anyway. And esp not Top 10.

    Hopefully they do turn out to be very good...then they can beat Florida.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • JohnnyLingo
      La Naranja
      • Nov 2008
      • 3976

      #3
      Good grief, something more inane than preseason rankings. I hate those things, and this actually manages to be worse.

      Here's to sportswriters everywhere justifying their salaries, I suppose.

      Comment

      • scottie
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 5247

        #4
        Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
        TCU is 11, Utah is 20. BYU in others getting votes. That is a lot of respect earned for last year in my opinion. Stunned that ND is in at 25. They are like a cockroach in preseason top 25's.

        http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....html?bcnn=yes
        They actually have Utah at #19.

        Comment

        • Coach McGuirk
          1
          • Nov 2008
          • 12109

          #5
          Originally posted by scottie View Post
          They actually have Utah at #19.

          oops sorry.

          Comment

          • Brian
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 2164

            #6
            Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
            Good grief, something more inane than preseason rankings. I hate those things, and this actually manages to be worse.

            Here's to sportswriters everywhere justifying their salaries, I suppose.
            Unless your team makes the list, right?
            I intend to live forever.
            So far, so good.
            --Steven Wright

            Comment

            • Indy Coug
              Heartless Bastard
              • Dec 2008
              • 18747

              #7
              Originally posted by Brian View Post
              Unless your team makes the list, right?
              The only preseason polls that matter are the AP and USA Today because of the head start they give you in the rankings if you end up having a great season. If someone goes 12-0 and was ranked #1 in the preseason, they will be ranked higher than someone that went 12-0 and was originally unranked.
              Everything in life is an approximation.

              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

              Comment

              • Coach McGuirk
                1
                • Nov 2008
                • 12109

                #8
                Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                The only preseason polls that matter are the AP and USA Today because of the head start they give you in the rankings if you end up having a great season. If someone goes 12-0 and was ranked #1 in the preseason, they will be ranked higher than someone that went 12-0 and was originally unranked.

                These pre-preseason polls influence preseason poll voters. That is my guess.

                Comment

                • Indy Coug
                  Heartless Bastard
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 18747

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                  These pre-preseason polls influence preseason poll voters. That is my guess.
                  That would be difficult to demonstrate.
                  Everything in life is an approximation.

                  http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                  Comment

                  • I.J. Reilly
                    Nobody's Fool
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 2949

                    #10
                    Preseason polls carry too much weight in how things ultimately unfold. They should delay the rankings of any major human polls for at least a couple of weeks.

                    Comment

                    • Babs
                      Not a Lawyer
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 17128

                      #11
                      Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
                      Preseason polls carry too much weight in how things ultimately unfold. They should delay the rankings of any major human polls for at least a couple of weeks.
                      The rankings don't change the first two weeks, as everybody is taking turns playing Utah State.

                      Comment

                      • TripletDaddy
                        sweet triple
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 58186

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Babs View Post
                        The rankings don't change the first two weeks, as everybody is taking turns playing Utah State.
                        SC opens against San Jose State at home.

                        The Spartans vs The Trojans!

                        I expect to see a lot of Classicists at the game, if anything out of pure academic interest.
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • Coach McGuirk
                          1
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 12109

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                          That would be difficult to demonstrate.

                          agreed, but that is where opinions are formed.

                          Comment

                          • cougjunkie
                            *Banned*
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 23223

                            #14
                            Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                            Good grief, something more inane than preseason rankings. I hate those things, and this actually manages to be worse.

                            Here's to sportswriters everywhere justifying their salaries, I suppose.
                            I cant wait for your 2011 NBA preview that is coming up in a few weeks.
                            *Banned*

                            Comment

                            • il Padrino Ute
                              Junior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19161

                              #15
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              SC opens against San Jose State at home.

                              The Spartans vs The Trojans!

                              I expect to see a lot of Classicists at the game, if anything out of pure academic interest.
                              Thanks in advance for your Trojans softening the Spartans for my Utes the following week.
                              "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                              "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                              Comment

                              Working...