Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
    Lol.
    If any of my kids have the choice of a free education at Stanford or BYU, I hope they make the right decision.
    Stanford should NEVER lose a recruiting battle. To anyone, over anyone.
    This explains why Harvard is such a football powerhouse.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      this really has nothing to do with BYU. your argument by definition makes this about every other team in college football, which is why it is a stupid position to take. Dont take my word for it, you can refer to the thousands of recruiting battles stanford has lost over the decades. in fact, has stanford ever had a top recruiting class? i doubt it. either everyone else is wrong and you are right and every single recruit that qualifies should go to Stanford or you are being a dunce and overstating your point.
      Or you could look at nearly every other D1 sport where the super promising NFL future doesn't loom. How does Stanford do there?

Damn cup holders.
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
        or the Ivy League in general. all recruits that qualify should go Ivy.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
          Great point.
          Or not, actually.
          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• I guess it DOES need to be pointed out. The ivy league doesn't offer athletic scholarships.
            (Sorry...the caps is for emphasis. You know, because I thought everyone knew that.)
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Great point.
              Or not, actually.
              Why not?? A Harvard education is second to NONE (except maybe Yale and a couple others depending on your personality, social habits, and emphasis of study) And for someone to choose BYU over HARVARD???? What a JOKE!! They should NEVER lose a recruit EVER to ANYONE for ANY REASON!!!

*caps are for emphasis.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Or you could look at nearly every other D1 sport where the super promising NFL future doesn't loom. How does Stanford do there?

Damn cup holders.
                i dont disagree with that but you are still being a dunce. refine your argument and stop sounding like an imbecile. you went from "never" to "rarely" to now focusing on the athlete that might not play in the NFL. here is what you should do: re-think the point you are trying to make and then come back in a bit and try again in a way that doesnt rely on words like "NEVER" to add emphasis. let your dunce pill wear off, have some coffee, and then you can make your point anew in a bit. I think you will be surprised how many people actually agree with what it is you are trying to articulate but for some reason cannot.

sigpic

Comment

I've never said that. I have concerns about BYU, but it's still the best bang for the buck.
                  Now, if there's no buck to be paid....

You seriously would rather your kids go to BYU over Stanford, costs being equal?
                  I would be proud to have a kid get accepted to Stanford. And ecstatic to have them be both accepted and receive free tuition.

But - in all honesty - I could see my children's mother not being quite as excited. Sure, she would leave the decision up to them and let them go. But I can promise you that she would "rather" they stay closer to home.

Comment

I guess it DOES need to be pointed out. The ivy league doesn't offer athletic scholarships.
                    (Sorry...the caps is for emphasis. You know, because I thought everyone knew that.)
                    what is the relevance there? The Ivies still recruit players. Your argument was about recruiting battles, not scholarships. stop being a dunce.

sigpic

Comment

The ivy league doesn't offer athletic scholarships.
                      Yeah, but they pretty much get around that.

Comment

what is the relevance there? The Ivies still recruit players. Your argument was about recruiting battles, not scholarships. stop being a dunce.
                        I have a friend who played football at an Ivy school. They still give scholarships to recruit athletes but they just don't call them "athletic" scholarships.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• This conversation sounds familiar. I'll just repeat my long-help position that a Stanford education is no better than any education. (Maybe their students read different history textbooks?) But I'm sure the certificate is prettier. And I'd be pleased if my children opted to refuse a Stanford scholarship, and even avoid college altogether to do something more profitable and more useful.

Comment

i dont disagree with that but you are still being a dunce. refine your argument and stop sounding like an imbecile. you went from "never" to "rarely" to now focusing on the athlete that might not play in the NFL. here is what you should do: re-think the point you are trying to make and then come back in a bit and try again in a way that doesnt rely on words like "NEVER" to add emphasis. let your dunce pill wear off, have some coffee, and then you can make your point anew in a bit. I think you will be surprised how many people actually agree with what it is you are trying to articulate but for some reason cannot.

DDD at 1:57
                            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Oh goodness.
                              Free education at Stanford vs free education at anywhere else, with the agreement to play a sport. Stanford should win, almost always. They don't often, in football, the only difference being the chance of a NFL career. These are infinitesimal odds, making that decision irrational for all but the rarest of cases. I'm going to leave it to you to see how the ivy league, which doesn't offer a free education, doesn't really apply here.

Solon is laughing at you. He's just too nice to say it. What a dunce.
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Oh goodness.
                                Free education at Stanford vs free education at anywhere else, with the agreement to play a sport. Stanford should win, almost always. They don't often, in football, the only difference being the chance of a NFL career. These are infinitesimal odds, making that decision irrational for all but the rarest of cases. I'm going to leave it to you to see how the ivy league, which doesn't offer a free education, doesn't really apply here.

Solon is laughing at you. He's just too nice to say it. What a dunce.
                                Solon isn't laughing, he's being this
                                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X