No announcement yet.

PAC12 announces all-conference teams...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USC had more players (12) voted all-conference than any other PAC school. 7 First team and 5 Second team. I know this announcement comes as absolutely no surprise to anyone here.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/colleg...,6329258.story

PS congratulations to the Utes for having 4 or 5 players announced. That is neat.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      USC had more players (12) voted all-conference than any other PAC school. 7 First team and 5 Second team. I know this announcement comes as absolutely no surprise to anyone here.

PS congratulations to the Utes for having 4 or 5 players announced. That is neat.
      I assume there are bonuses or similar incentives given for such accolades. Will that trigger some kind of luxury tax for SC?

Comment

It's a start. Last weeks choke job likely cost us a slot or two. It shows the talent gap that we need to close to be relevant in conference year in and year out. USC, Oregon, Cal should dominate this list. I am not sold on Stanford as a long term power.
        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by The Notorious J.I.C. View Post
          It's a start. Last weeks choke job likely cost us a slot or two. It shows the talent gap that we need to close to be relevant in conference year in and year out. USC, Oregon, Cal should dominate this list. I am not sold on Stanford as a long term power.
          JIC, as one of the most reasonable Ute fans I know, who is also knowledgeable of football. What is your long term prediction of Utah's place in the P12? Personally, I would put them in the UW/ASU/random team of the year category, a notch below the two perennial heavyweights (SC and UO). I see them generally in the top half of their division and making a serious title run every 5 years or so.

Lest I be called a trolling anti-uteite or some kind of warthog, I'm pretty realistic on BYU's place in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
            Don't you mean won the conference by default for the third straight year?
            No they will be the conference champs for the third straight year. There is no default, sorry you misunderstood my original post, I'll try to be more clear for you in the future.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              Are you talking about that game that was decided by a missed FG? I'm not sure it's very obvious at all what would happen if they had to play again.
              Not to mention, SC is a damn good football team, playing as well as anybody in the country right now. No shame in losing a close one to USC.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                JIC, as one of the most reasonable Ute fans I know, who is also knowledgeable of football. What is your long term prediction of Utah's place in the P12? Personally, I would put them in the UW/ASU/random team of the year category, a notch below the two perennial heavyweights (SC and UO). I see them generally in the top half of their division and making a serious title run every 5 years or so.

Lest I be called a trolling anti-uteite or some kind of warthog, I'm pretty realistic on BYU's place in the world.
                In the short term, we should be consistently where you see it. Long term depends on our ability to gain a potent offense(think top 30-35 nationally). QB has been such a scary position for us in the past that it is hard to see us consistently challenging for the conference unless we fix that. Our defense has the ability to make us a consistent player in the conference picture, but this year has shown that it can be exposed if the offense cannot carry its own weight. We will never have a defense that can hold down the fort all season with an inept offense. But pair it with an offense that can average 28 points in conference, we will be a consistent top 20 team and will be a yearly threat to play for the CCG. USC will be the perennial favorite in the South, but by developing a solid offense, we can be the team that they will need to account for to win the South, and we will cause them a few stumbles and take their place in that game on occasion.

But it all depends on developing a consistent offense. Which ultimately is tied to our ability to find and develop players at the quarterback position.
                "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                  UW/ASU are not the same. ASU is a once a decade team. UW was down for almost a decade, due to problems in the program but will rise again. UW has a long tradition and a trophy case full of Rose Bowl trophies.

Oregon is on a great run right now, but nothing is promised. The Ducks looked really similar to the Ducks now in 2000-01 winning a conf title, finishing ranked #2 in the country, then crapped the bed for the next 3 years. They are hot and trendy right now, one bad season and that fades away.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

It's a start.
                    I agree. Remember: I'm taking the high road!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                      Not to mention, SC is a damn good football team, playing as well as anybody in the country right now. No shame in losing a close one to USC.
                      You were down on Kiff and SC just 4 weeks ago. Of course, you were horribly wrong and I tried to tell you even then, but you wouldn't listen to me. It sounds like you are now speaking much wisdom and have reached the full measure of your creation!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        John Cullen made the list? Isn't that the guy the Utes thought was absolutely horrible?
                        Yes and he is absolutely horrible.
                        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                          Yes and he is absolutely horrible.
                          I dare you to tweet him and say that.

sigpic

Comment

The one thing that I'm missing in life is abuse on twitter. You are right, I should tweet him that.
                            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

better yet, get a Kansas teenager to do it for you.

Comment

In the short term, we should be consistently where you see it. Long term depends on our ability to gain a potent offense(think top 30-35 nationally). QB has been such a scary position for us in the past that it is hard to see us consistently challenging for the conference unless we fix that. Our defense has the ability to make us a consistent player in the conference picture, but this year has shown that it can be exposed if the offense cannot carry its own weight. We will never have a defense that can hold down the fort all season with an inept offense. But pair it with an offense that can average 28 points in conference, we will be a consistent top 20 team and will be a yearly threat to play for the CCG. USC will be the perennial favorite in the South, but by developing a solid offense, we can be the team that they will need to account for to win the South, and we will cause them a few stumbles and take their place in that game on occasion.

But it all depends on developing a consistent offense. Which ultimately is tied to our ability to find and develop players at the quarterback position.
                                I was talking with my son tonight about our QB situation and was impressed (again) by how tenuous next year's lineup looks. We'll start he season with a healthy Wynn, but how comfortable can we be that he'll stay healthy? Unless something changes we will be on the verge of beng in the same spot we were in for most of this season. Wilson will not be ready yet to back up Wynn. Shreeve is a big question mark. Robles can't do the job, apparently. So our most experienced guy will be Hays. Do you think Chow will be scouring the JC ranks for a more reliable backup? You're right, we really need to fix this.
                                Last edited by LA Ute; 11-29-2011, 06:30 AM.
                                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                                ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Working...
                                X