Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which schools give away student tickets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which schools give away student tickets?

I always thought attending games at BYU was a bargain as a student, and I was pre all-sports passes. I assumed tickets were likely more costly at other schools, since so much of BYU is subsidized by Ute tithing anyways. I was surprised to learn from my nephews that student tickets to Oregon games are free. Though, HFN or parrotface could likely give more accurate details, my understanding is all that is required per-registering online or over the phone, showing your student ID, and cramming into the student section every Saturday. Is this common at other schools? It seems like a great policy, though obviously a significant money loser.

Student tickets are free at Utah as well.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
      Student tickets are free at Utah as well.
      Sorry, I meant to say which schools, that are good, give away free tickets?

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
        I always thought attending games at BYU was a bargain as a student, and I was pre all-sports passes. I assumed tickets were likely more costly at other schools, since so much of BYU is subsidized by Ute tithing anyways. I was surprised to learn from my nephews that student tickets to Oregon games are free. Though, HFN or parrotface could likely give more accurate details, my understanding is all that is required per-registering online or over the phone, showing your student ID, and cramming into the student section every Saturday. Is this common at other schools? It seems like a great policy, though obviously a significant money loser.
        TINSTAAFL - No students ever get free tickets. Most schools give students "free" tickets and charge them an activity fee as part of their tuition.

Comment

There's no such thing as "free" student tickets. There's a student activity fee buried in all tuition.
          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            There's no such thing as "free" student tickets. There's a student activity fee buried in all tuition.

Comment

Sorry, I meant to say which schools, that are good, give away free tickets?
              Guess Oregon State doesn't count then. They were "free" when I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by BemidjiCoug View Post
                TINSTAAFL - No students ever get free tickets. Most schools give students "free" tickets and charge them an activity fee as part of their tuition.
                Yup. When I was in school the 'activity fee' broke down to about $15 per quarter hour, but I could get a 'guest pass' for a friend for $5 with a valid student ID card.

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                  Is it charged to all students or an optional add on fee? It seems like that would be great editorial fodder, in the school news rag, for many a non-sports liking liberal arts major, if all were charged the same.

Comment

Is it charged to all students or an optional add on fee? It seems like that would be great editorial fodder, in the school news rag, for many a non-sports liking liberal arts major, if all were charged the same.
                    All students. In that case, if all students are paying the same amount anyway, the tickets are indeed free.

If it were optional, then there would be more of a debate.

Comment

I'd venture that there are more non-sports-liking STEM majors than non-sports-liking Liberal Arts majors.
                      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

At most schools everyone pays the fees and it includes things like access to things other than sports like art shows, plays, concerts, etc.

Comment

It might also depend on supply. At some football schools, they cannot accomodate giving every student a ticket. A few instances from my expereince:
                          • At Nebraska, not all Freshman students could get tickets as the priority was given to upper class students.
                          • At BYU, a lottery system was used for the 1985 season where the winners got 2 tickets and the losers got nada . Less than half the student body were "winners" that year. Before that, there wasn't much problem getting tickets. Pretty sure the policy was changed where returning students were given priority since I didn't have difficulty getting tickets in later seasons.
                          • At Texas A&M, students purchase an athletic pass which allows them to get football tickets. It seems all students who want tickets and purchase the athletic pass get them.
                          Others will know the BYU football ticket policy better than I. But at Nebraska and Texas A&M, football tickets are purchased separately, they are not part of some student fee rolled into tuition.
                          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

When I was at Bama you had to pay $50 each for your season tickets. You could get two if you were married (which I was). You could sell your tickets to anyone but they had to pay a $26 a piece upgrade fee if they were not another student.

I took my father in law and friends to many different games in the six years that I had season tickets.

For away games you could get in on the allotment by buying at face value if you had a certain number of credit hours and had season tickets.

I am not sure if this has changed because Bama is at high tide( ), and enrollment is up by about 10k (but then again the stadium is up 20k in capacity since I left in 2004.

Comment

My freshman year at BYU we camped out for football989071649 season tickets. Basketball was the same (I'm almost positive it was 2 separate campouts). They weren't free but were cheap.

Comment

Working...
                              X