MWC bending rules that they wouldn't bend for BYU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I think BYU should shore up the USU program by making them our official rival. Utah will be paired with some Pac12 team, and their AD completely disrespects BYU, as shown in his radio interview when he said,

(Granted, he said this when negotiations for a game next year were stalled, and Utah was attempting to take a hard line that BYU would have to play at RES two years in a row, but his head is seriously in the clouds)

I really wouldnt mind Utah State. They're good for a string of wins, but they're dangerous enough to beat the Cougs on a down year. And they hate us with as much passion as the utes do. The basketball games would be entertaining and a serious pissing contest. The rivalry would be good for their program and maybe they can finally get a new stadium.
    You took that one statement by Chris Hill seriously? Someone needs their sarcasm meter taken to the shop.

Comment

I think BYU should shore up the USU program by making them our official rival. Utah will be paired with some Pac12 team, and their AD completely disrespects BYU, as shown in his radio interview when he said,

(Granted, he said this when negotiations for a game next year were stalled, and Utah was attempting to take a hard line that BYU would have to play at RES two years in a row, but his head is seriously in the clouds)
      Chris Hill isn't the one that "disrespects" BYU. His comments in June indicated he had every intention of maintaining the BYU rivalry on a yearly basis. It's the Ute fans that think BYU would benefit more from the game because of their independence, and therefore don't want the series to continue, who have contacted Dr. Hill and voiced their "disrespect".
      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
        The bottom of the MWC is stronger, but not by much. It will depend on what happens with TV negotiations.
        exactly. The leagues are close enough without TCU, Utah and BYU that the loss of ESPN makes it a net negative IMHO.
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          BSU move to the MWC is still a good move for them. The new MWC (even without BYU, TCU and Utah) is better than the old WAC. The WAC is the big loser here. They didn't get BYU's other sports and I don't think adding Texas State and U of Denver is going to help them much.

The question I have is the mtn channel going to survive without the big three. It seems the ads on the mtn are mostly targeted for Utah viewers. Without the addition of USU to the MWC it seems the mtn will need a whole new set of advertisers to pay the bills.
          Undoubtedly the WAC is the biggest loser but Boise isn't really better off now that they lose ESPN.
          Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
            Hawaii to the MWC in football only? Really?

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...109083259.html
            You bend that rule to accommodate a team that gives you an extra 5 home games to schedule every decade. Do that math -- it's worth a lot more to MWC schools to have Hawaii as a football-only member than it does BYU.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
              You bend that rule to accommodate a team that gives you an extra 5 home games to schedule every decade. Do that math -- it's worth a lot more to MWC schools to have Hawaii as a football-only member than it does BYU.
              Sure, (and trust me, I'm not complaining at all that we didn't stay in the MWC) I just find it funny that they were such sticklers with the rule stating that all sports MUST be a member of the conference. No concessions whatsoever! Now they go out and are thinking of giving concessions to Hawaii. It's just funny. Hair is a total hypocritical moron.

Comment

Sure, (and trust me, I'm not complaining at all that we didn't stay in the MWC) I just find it funny that they were such sticklers with the rule stating that all sports MUST be a member of the conference. No concessions whatsoever! Now they go out and are thinking of giving concessions to Hawaii. It's just funny. Hair is a total hypocritical moron.
                He might be hypocritical, but this isn't the move a moron would make. He let the WAC act to get its membership to an acceptable level, then went back and took another school.

Comment

The 5 extra home games still does not make up for the lost revenue of losing BYU in fact it is not even close.
                  *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    The 5 extra home games still does not make up for the lost revenue of losing BYU in fact it is not even close.
                    So you have access to the schools books to verify this fact and that it isn't even close.
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

"I dunno... BYU... the stakes have changed in our negotiations with them. Some of our supporters have recommended that we do a 7-for 1... 8-for-1 deal with them... (laughs)... we seriously have to rethink where we go from here..."
                      I am pretty sure that's not what he meant. Hill plans to have the rivalry game annually. He does joke about the extreme advice he gets from Utah fans both sides of the issue, and I think that's what he was doing in the radio interview.
                      Last edited by LA Ute; 11-19-2010, 03:28 PM.
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        Good for Boise. Leaving the WAC to join the more prestigious MWC, playing teams like Hawaii, Fresno State, Nevada, and possibly Utah State every year.
                        And on the mtn to boot.

They must be quivering with joy.

Comment

He might be hypocritical, but this isn't the move a moron would make. He let the WAC act to get its membership to an acceptable level, then went back and took another school.
                          He's a moron because he wouldn't give concessions to BYU. He stuck to his guns and now he ends up with Hawaii. Had he conceded to BYU, then BYU would have stayed. He blew it.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                            Dream on. There isn't a single team in the MWC whose gate is made or broken by having or not having BYU on the schedule. Hell, even UNLV drew 6,000 more for Wisconsin this year than it did for BYU last year. Nevada-Reno this year outdrew UNLV-BYU's game from last year as well.

Comment

He's a moron because he wouldn't give concessions to BYU. He stuck to his guns and now he ends up with Hawaii. Had he conceded to BYU, then BYU would have stayed. He blew it.
                              We don't know what the monetary concessions were to BYU. I'm guessing Hawaii's demands were significantly less, given the opportunity to place its sports in the Big West and further save on travel. No doubt this is a huge opportunity for Hawaii.

I doubt BYU really wanted to stay in the MWC with Utah being gone. It had to do what it did to prove to its fanbase that it is still relevant nationally. With that in mind, getting Hawaii is about as good of a replacement the MWC could get. It's schools get that revenue-padding 13th game every other year, and it gets a conference home game against a team that typically doesn't fare as well on the mainland.

Comment

I would be willing to bet that bringing on Hawaii for just football and what BYU was asking for were on very opposite ends of the spectrum.
                                "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Working...
                                X