Sausan Shakerin career over following concussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Top Ute
    Junior Member
    • May 2010
    • 2194

    #16
    Bright side: Shakerin can still be on scholarship, but not count against the 85.

    As for next year, I'll venture that it's no worse than 50-50 that our starter in the 2011 opener isn't even on the roster yet. We can get a JUCO to step in here.

    Comment

    • old_gregg
      scaly man fish
      • Nov 2009
      • 16915

      #17
      This is too bad for Shak. He was great in HS at Alta. Unfortunately, running too upright caught up with him. I hope (and would bet) that the U will hold his scholarship.
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

      Comment

      • Top Ute
        Junior Member
        • May 2010
        • 2194

        #18
        Originally posted by camleish View Post
        This is too bad for Shak. He was great in HS at Alta. Unfortunately, running too upright caught up with him. I hope (and would bet) that the U will hold his scholarship.
        Utah has no reason to not live up to it, unless Shak seriously thinks he'll play again elsewhere. NCAA rules allow medical hardship scholarships for scholarship athletes -- under the condition you never play again. Go to oversigning.com, and you'll see that the rule can be abused. Nick Saban is famous for it.

        Comment

        • Katy Lied
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 9435

          #19
          Gunther spoke of a utah player who had a medical redshirt, then played the following year, so it can be done, if a player is dedicated/crazy enough to come back. I dont see anything wrong with it. I'd rather the NCAA be safe than sorry.

          Comment

          • kccougar
            9262
            • Nov 2008
            • 7020

            #20
            That's too bad, but probably not a bad thing to end things now. Shak just couldn't stay healthy from the beginning, and likely would continue from one injury to the next if he kept on playing.
            "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

            Comment

            • cougjunkie
              *Banned*
              • Nov 2008
              • 23223

              #21
              This is similar to the fate Steven Thomas of BYU is facing. He suffered 4 concussions in high school and 2 more at BYU. The coaches and team doctors have told him it is time to hang it up for good. He does not want to and is pushing to get back out on the field.

              BYU is making him pass some very rigorous tests and examinations before they even consider it. I believe they are also making him sign some sort of liability waiver as well.
              *Banned*

              Comment

              • Goatnapper'96
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 10924

                #22
                Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                This is similar to the fate Steven Thomas of BYU is facing. He suffered 4 concussions in high school and 2 more at BYU. The coaches and team doctors have told him it is time to hang it up for good. He does not want to and is pushing to get back out on the field.

                BYU is making him pass some very rigorous tests and examinations before they even consider it. I believe they are also making him sign some sort of liability waiver as well.
                I am no medical expert, but I think he should hang it up...He gets to keep his scholarship for another year.
                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                -General George S. Patton

                I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

                Comment

                • cougjunkie
                  *Banned*
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 23223

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                  I am no medical expert, but I think he should hang it up...He gets to keep his scholarship for another year.
                  I agree. Stephen Covey allegedly had a serious back injury and he is still on schollie, however I think it went more like this:

                  "look son you are on scholarship because of your name only, you have zero chance of ever seeing the field. So please tell your grandpa to continue making large donations we will pretend that you suffered a career ending injury and save you the embarrassment of having your scholarship just flat out pulled because you suck at football."
                  *Banned*

                  Comment

                  • Top Ute
                    Junior Member
                    • May 2010
                    • 2194

                    #24
                    Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    I agree. Stephen Covey allegedly had a serious back injury and he is still on schollie, however I think it went more like this:

                    "look son you are on scholarship because of your name only, you have zero chance of ever seeing the field. So please tell your grandpa to continue making large donations we will pretend that you suffered a career ending injury and save you the embarrassment of having your scholarship just flat out pulled because you suck at football."
                    See, I never got the idea Covey never belonged on the football field. Wasn't he highly recruited coming out of HS? Wasn't that detailed in the 1985 Sports Illustrated story on BYU players and the mission field, and the anguish some have over serving or not?

                    Comment

                    • SCcoug
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 7625

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
                      See, I never got the idea Covey never belonged on the football field. Wasn't he highly recruited coming out of HS? Wasn't that detailed in the 1985 Sports Illustrated story on BYU players and the mission field, and the anguish some have over serving or not?
                      Wrong Covey.

                      Comment

                      • TripletDaddy
                        sweet triple
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 58186

                        #26
                        Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                        I agree. Stephen Covey allegedly had a serious back injury and he is still on schollie, however I think it went more like this:

                        "look son you are on scholarship because of your name only, you have zero chance of ever seeing the field. So please tell your grandpa to continue making large donations we will pretend that you suffered a career ending injury and save you the embarrassment of having your scholarship just flat out pulled because you suck at football."
                        The 9th Habit of Highly Effective People: Have Insanely Wealthy Relatives
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69742

                          #27
                          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          The 9th Habit of Highly Effective People: Have Insanely Wealthy Relatives
                          You remembered that we already pinned down #8. I am impressed.

                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • OrangeUte
                            Max Hall hates me.
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 2294

                            #28
                            does thretton palamo factor in for RB next year? i posted a question about him in another thread, and it sounds like he's in line to play football for the U next year. he is a beast at rugby, so i could only imagine that he will be a beast on the girdiron as well.

                            Comment

                            • MarkGrace
                              Grooveshark dick tease
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 31546

                              #29
                              Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                              This is similar to the fate Steven Thomas of BYU is facing. He suffered 4 concussions in high school and 2 more at BYU. The coaches and team doctors have told him it is time to hang it up for good. He does not want to and is pushing to get back out on the field.

                              BYU is making him pass some very rigorous tests and examinations before they even consider it. I believe they are also making him sign some sort of liability waiver as well.
                              Thomas is done.
                              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                              Comment

                              • Non Sequitur
                                Where did I put my bodkin
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 5773

                                #30
                                Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                                In other news, Jimmy Smits latest series was cancelled.
                                "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                                Comment

                                Working...