Playmakers

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TheAzzuri
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 454

    #16
    I really hate to get into semantics, but it really depends on how you define "talent." Physical tools?

    Looking at this group that you've listed, it's hard not to think about the 2006 group that includes Zac Collie, Matt Allen, Nate Meikle, Mike Reed, Johnny Harline, Dan Coats, Curtis Brown, and Fui Vakapuna. None of them will have great NFL careers, yet they were a pretty damn good offense.

    I have no idea what the current problems on offense are, but I don't think they're primarily related to a lack of playmakers or a lack of talent. While I have nothing to go on except a strong turn around by Bronco's defense, I lean towards coaching--even though these are, for the most part, the same coaches that existed in '06.

    Comment

    • TheBYUGuy
      Friend of Rodin
      • Sep 2009
      • 1442

      #17
      Maybe some of you football-smart people can help me with a reconciliation.

      1. Dennis Pitta was not offered a scholarship to play D1 football, implying that going into college, it would be a stretch to say that he had "D1 talent."
      2. By the time he graduated, Pitta was one of the best TEs in the country and arguably the best in BYU history against some pretty stiff competition.
      3. Complaints have been raised that Anae is a miserable coach as far as offensive player development.

      So the question: If the talent and coaching are not there, how does a guy become an outstanding player at his position?

      Comment

      • KillerDog
        a.k.a. K-dog
        • Feb 2009
        • 4196

        #18
        Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
        Maybe some of you football-smart people can help me with a reconciliation.

        1. Dennis Pitta was not offered a scholarship to play D1 football, implying that going into college, it would be a stretch to say that he had "D1 talent."
        2. By the time he graduated, Pitta was one of the best TEs in the country and arguably the best in BYU history against some pretty stiff competition.
        3. Complaints have been raised that Anae is a miserable coach as far as offensive player development.

        So the question: If the talent and coaching are not there, how does a guy become an outstanding player at his position?
        You touch on something I find interesting. Pitta isn't the only one of Anae's players to make the NFL. Is it just me or have a number of his TEs had NFL capability after he got through with them?

        Comment

        • MarkGrace
          Grooveshark dick tease
          • Dec 2008
          • 31546

          #19
          Pitta had NFL capability before Anae got done with him. As I recall Crowton was dying to get him to LSU after having him at BYU. Teams must have just whiffed on him coming out of HS, because I think the sentiment after he got to campus was that he was going to be big-time once he filled out.
          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

          Comment

          • TheAzzuri
            Junior Member
            • Mar 2009
            • 454

            #20
            Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
            Pitta had NFL capability before Anae got done with him. As I recall Crowton was dying to get him to LSU after having him at BYU. Teams must have just whiffed on him coming out of HS, because I think the sentiment after he got to campus was that he was going to be big-time once he filled out.
            Wasn't he offered by a few (albeit smaller) schools?

            Comment

            • Hsaru
              Junior Member
              • Mar 2009
              • 1109

              #21
              Pitta was a stud as a true frosh in 2004.

              Comment

              • TheAzzuri
                Junior Member
                • Mar 2009
                • 454

                #22
                Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                I don't think we lack talent. I think we lack maturity and cohesion. This team is broken and growing more broken. I predict Doman is gone before Anae is. How can we possibly give this kid a pass?
                I agree this is the issue, but I don't think it's as dire as you suggest. Bronco seems to have taken a big step forward by taking control of the defense.

                I also agree on Doman. I knew Brandon fairly well when he was a player, and he was a very likeable guy, but I'm not sure why people seem to be giving him a pass.

                Comment

                • cougjunkie
                  *Banned*
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 23223

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Hsaru View Post
                  Pitta was a stud as a true frosh in 2004.
                  17 receptions 176 yards and 2 tds.

                  Marcus Matthews is on pace to surpass that.
                  *Banned*

                  Comment

                  • Goatnapper'96
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10924

                    #24
                    Originally posted by TheAzzuri View Post
                    I agree this is the issue, but I don't think it's as dire as you suggest. Bronco seems to have taken a big step forward by taking control of the defense.

                    I also agree on Doman. I knew Brandon fairly well when he was a player, and he was a very likeable guy, but I'm not sure why people seem to be giving him a pass.
                    One thing I don't get about fans is the assistant coach drama. I have no idea how anyone can make conclusions about assistants. The only coach I can really feel comfortable evaluating is the head coach. Fish stink starts at head and if Mendenhall doesn't do what he needs to do, as far as his lieutenants, then he is the issue, not the lieutenants.

                    Saying that, I would hate for Doman to suck and have to go as I loved him as a BYU player. I might have loved Anae but he played when I was 10-12 and while I knew more about BYU than probably just about every other 10-12 year old, I did not follow OL happenings back then.
                    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                    -General George S. Patton

                    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

                    Comment

                    • KillerDog
                      a.k.a. K-dog
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 4196

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                      One thing I don't get about fans is the assistant coach drama. I have no idea how anyone can make conclusions about assistants. The only coach I can really feel comfortable evaluating is the head coach. Fish stink starts at head and if Mendenhall doesn't do what he needs to do, as far as his lieutenants, then he is the issue, not the lieutenants.

                      Saying that, I would hate for Doman to suck and have to go as I loved him as a BYU player. I might have loved Anae but he played when I was 10-12 and while I knew more about BYU than probably just about every other 10-12 year old, I did not follow OL happenings back then.
                      I believe this is why Doman gets a pass. The fans love the players that were recent and did great things. Doman holds a special place in Cougardom's heart and, as a result, he can do no wrong. Anae is farther removed and played O-line so he has lost that imperviousness. I recall when Bosco had the ability to avoid getting any of the mess on him but he lost it. Eventually Doman will lose it too.

                      I totally agree with you on the head coach thing. At the end of the day, Bronco has the ability to override and if he doesn't use it, he is on the hook.

                      Comment

                      • TheAzzuri
                        Junior Member
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 454

                        #26
                        Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                        I believe this is why Doman gets a pass. The fans love the players that were recent and did great things. Doman holds a special place in Cougardom's heart and, as a result, he can do no wrong. Anae is farther removed and played O-line so he has lost that imperviousness. I recall when Bosco had the ability to avoid getting any of the mess on him but he lost it. Eventually Doman will lose it too.

                        I totally agree with you on the head coach thing. At the end of the day, Bronco has the ability to override and if he doesn't use it, he is on the hook.
                        That's part of it, but I also think both recent head coaching searches have made it painfully obvious that there are precious few people out there that will fit the BYU head coaching mold--particularly as the BOT sees it. I think many fans see him as the heir-apparent. Group that with his alleged recruiting abilities (which I'm not doubting, I just have no first hand knowledge) and his heroics as a player, and you have a guy who is shielded from criticism.

                        Comment

                        Working...