Vicious hits in CF..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJF View Post
    I didn't play anywhere near the level you did and my body is a mess and it is mostly from football. Although some of it is from my mission. I've put off having knee replacement for a few years now. I don't know how much longer I can't put it off. I hurt 24/7. That doesn't include all the migraines I get that I think are some residual effects of several concussions. It has impacted me in just about every way possible. I love football and I loved being a missionary. I probably would have a much better body if I had never gotten involved with either football or the Church.

I've know quite a few NFL guys in my life. During the season they're a mess. In the off season they're usually insane. And all the things they do to help mask the pain to allow them to keep going is crazy. I love the sport, but honestly it just isn't worth it. I'll try to teach my kid to hit a curve ball and a three pointer.
    I was lucky enough to escape head injuries. Maybe if I would have experienced them I would have a different feeling. I will say this, if I ever have boys, I will push academics a lot more than my father did for me. In my home it was all football. I look back now and I wish I would have put as much into school as I did football.
    "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
      I hate to break it to you but chances are neither of your kids will go anywhere with football.
      Originally posted by fusnik View Post
      Question to devildog, would you allow your super awesome bone crushing teen to work as a crash test dummy?
      Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
      Hmmmm. Sounds like a call out to me... Maybe next time when sharing your experiences, don't be such a dick...
      Originally posted by CJF View Post
      Don't be so thick headed to think you're anything else in this case. It's that kind of attitude that cause kids to play hurt and that does impact their lives later.

Your head is 3 feet in the sand if don't think kids are at risk playing little league football.
      You guys crack me up.

I'm a dick for giving my perspective?

Hello pot.... this is kettle.

Rub some dirt on it.
      "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
      -Thucydides

"Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
      -Miyamoto Musashi

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by Devildog View Post
        You guys crack me up.

Rub some dirt on it.
        Welcome to CUF. I assume that you are all too familiar with a bit of hazing. It will come to end before long, as long as you are not a sensitive nancy.
        I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
          Did someone hack into your account or are you turning over a new leaf
          Piss off...

Comment

I never played football at any level. My parents thought it was too violent. Despite never playing football, I have difficulty walking in the morning because of all the other sports injuries. Fact is, every sport dings you up and every ding has a permanent result. I'll let my kid play whatever because no athletics is unacceptable and no sport will leave you free from pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Devildog View Post
              You guys crack me up.

Rub some dirt on it.
              Big Fat Meanie, let's put this one on the list.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                I never played football at any level. My parents thought it was too violent. Despite never playing football, I have difficulty walking in the morning because of all the other sports injuries. Fact is, every sport dings you up and every ding has a permanent result. I'll let my kid play whatever because no athletics is unacceptable and no sport will leave you free from pain.
                agreed. even non-contact sports (soccer, ice dancing) can lead to lasting damage, particularly to joints. my kids will have the option to play whatever sport they would like as long as they understand that is secondary to academics.
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                  agreed. even non-contact sports (soccer, ice dancing) can lead to lasting damage, particularly to joints. my kids will have the option to play whatever sport they would like as long as they understand that is secondary to academics.
                  I had a massive compound fracture in my lower leg and through the growth-plate from playing soccer in 8th grade. It still hurts every morning as I get out of bed.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                    I had a massive compound fracture in my lower leg and through the growth-plate from playing soccer in 8th grade. It still hurts every morning as I get out of bed.
                    The dig at soccer as non-contact is a joke, but I do think the non-contact sports cause a large amount of injury as well. I would wager that there are a lot of ex-high school pitchers with serious shoulder damage.
                    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

The Rutger's player who looks to be paralyzed is another sign of the seriousness of the hits these players take.

This is a large DL (6'2 270 pounds) who was on the Kick return team. After his hit it was scary and very similar to the hit Rodgers took against BSU. His legs went completely stiff along with his arms.. Then his head is seen moving up and down like he is trying to sit up but his arms or legs were not working..

Comment

I wasn't sure where to put this, but this seemed as good a place as any. NCAA is implementing what Husker fans are calling the "Kenny Bell Rule" against blocks on defenseless players.

http://www.cornnation.com/2013/6/12/...in-defenseless

For those who didn't watch the snoozer of a Big Ten championship game, there is a GIF of the hit embedded in the article. I understand wanting to protect players from blows to the head and lasting brain damage that appears to be a result. But if these rule changes continue football will be a completely different game. Maybe that should be the end goal, I don't know. But that looks like a textbook clean hit to me. It was severe because the Wisconsin player wasn't looking so he didn't brace for it at all.

The rule is essentially saying you are subject to ejection for throwing a hard block on someone who doesn't see you. That's seems crazy to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                          I wasn't sure where to put this, but this seemed as good a place as any. NCAA is implementing what Husker fans are calling the "Kenny Bell Rule" against blocks on defenseless players.

For those who didn't watch the snoozer of a Big Ten championship game, there is a GIF of the hit embedded in the article. I understand wanting to protect players from blows to the head and lasting brain damage that appears to be a result. But if these rule changes continue football will be a completely different game. Maybe that should be the end goal, I don't know. But that looks like a textbook clean hit to me. It was severe because the Wisconsin player wasn't looking so he didn't brace for it at all.

The rule is essentially saying you are subject to ejection for throwing a hard block on someone who doesn't see you. That's seems crazy to me.
                          Seems crazy to me too, but nothing they've done yet compares to the NFL's rule against a RB lowering his head. That is a game changer.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

I wish the GIF was a little slower to tell for sure - but it looks like the blocker catches the kid up high with a combination of shoulder pad and helmet. But it's tough to tell if the kid getting hit jerks his head due to whiplash from getting hit lower, or due to the blocker making contact with his helmet. Of course - it doesn't help that he then lands on his head (so even if there were contact with his helmet it is tough to say what might've caused any permanent harm.)

I don't bring up that point to say he was targeting the head - I think it was a legal good hit. I'm more wondering out loud how it was seen and wonder if we won't see the NCAA doing more and more in an attempt to get players to hit center of mass (chest & body) - and avoid any possibility that hits are causing head injuries.

Funny that the writer says "You can't watch that play and not conclude that the NCAA didn't change their rule just because of that big ht." Actually - while that hit might've gotten attention - I suspect that it is mounting concern about unpaid student athletes risking their future health for our entertainment. And while that hit is one piece of evidence - I would be surprised if any rule change was based solely on that one play.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                              I wish the GIF was a little slower to tell for sure - but it looks like the blocker catches the kid up high with a combination of shoulder pad and helmet. But it's tough to tell if the kid getting hit jerks his head due to whiplash from getting hit lower, or due to the blocker making contact with his helmet. Of course - it doesn't help that he then lands on his head (so even if there were contact with his helmet it is tough to say what might've caused any permanent harm.)

I don't bring up that point to say he was targeting the head - I think it was a legal good hit. I'm more wondering out loud how it was seen and wonder if we won't see the NCAA doing more and more in an attempt to get players to hit center of mass (chest & body) - and avoid any possibility that hits are causing head injuries.

Funny that the writer says "You can't watch that play and not conclude that the NCAA didn't change their rule just because of that big ht." Actually - while that hit might've gotten attention - I suspect that it is mounting concern about unpaid student athletes risking their future health for our entertainment. And while that hit is one piece of evidence - I would be surprised if any rule change was based solely on that one play.
                              Yeah it's a fan site so there is some hyperbole. But I think the point stands that if this block is going to get you ejected then football is going in a strange direction. This is the broadcast video which provides different iso angles starting at about 0:35:

And the rule change doesn't address targeting or hitting lower. It redefines a defenseless player to include someone receiving a blindside block. We're telling blockers to lay off someone who doesn't see you or you might get ejected. I can understand this if you lower the boom on someone not watching 30 yards from the ball. But this was right in the action on a pursuing tackler.
                              Last edited by Omaha 680; 06-13-2013, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Yeah it's a fan site so there is some hyperbole. But I think the point stands that if this block is going to get you ejected then football is going in a strange direction. This is the broadcast video which provides different iso angles starting at about 0:35:

And the rule change doesn't address targeting or hitting lower. It redefines a defenseless player to include someone receiving a blindside block. We're telling blockers to lay off someone who doesn't see you or you might get ejected. I can understand this if you lower the boom on someone not watching 30 yards from the ball. But this was right in the action on a pursuing tackler.
                                Agree, this is taking football in a strange direction. Blindside blocking will always be somewhat violent. The defender is focused on the ball carrier and may not see the blindside blocker coming (thus the name blindside). However, similar conditions occur when a lineman pulls and hits a blitzing linebacker in the backfield as he closes in on the ball carrier. In short, a blocker should not be penalized for not being seen when making a legal hit/block. It's part of the game. One other thing to consider, Kenny Bell (player who made the block) is Nebraska's leading receiver. He will take more than his fair share of hits while carrying the ball or trying to receiving it. I don't see much difference between a player being clocked immediately after going up for a reception and a defender being clocked as he closing in on a ball carrier. In both instances, a player's focus is elsewhere: either on the ball in the air or pursuing the ball carrier. In both instances, players should expect to get hit - it's part of the game.
                                “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                                "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Working...
                                X