Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we get an Andy Reid v Bronco controversy started?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we get an Andy Reid v Bronco controversy started?

Now of course I'm mainly being facetious. I've been a Bronco supporter since even back before KWhitt went to the dark side and I think in all he's done a great job under difficult circumstances.

But I think the job has also taken its toll and he has indicated himself that he doesn't expect to be the type of guy who coaches into old age. Coincidentally I think Andy Reid has been wearing down in Philly and maybe things will coincide in the next 2-3 years in a way that Bronco wants to go surf, give firesides and break horses full time and Reid wants to get away from the NFL.....

All random hypothetical thinking on my part and I wouldn't want it unless Reid agreed to drop 40 pounds as part of the deal (don't like super fat guys running my team, nothing against fat guys, just think it's not the right example for a bunch of athletes), but... there are a lot of things I'd like about a Reid-as-HC scenario.

I like that he's a BYU grad. I like that he played with McMahon. I like that he's a convert so he can get both sides of the equation. Having an established NFL coach at the helm won't hurt recruiting. And so on.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Just how successful have ex-NFL head coaches been after moving on to be a collegiate head coach?

BTW, the complaints on local sports radio about Reid

1. He doesn't run enough

2. He's too predictable

3. Uses too many trick plays

4. He doesn't make good in-game adjustments

Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
      Now of course I'm mainly being facetious. I've been a Bronco supporter since even back before KWhitt went to the dark side and I think in all he's done a great job under difficult circumstances.

But I think the job has also taken its toll and he has indicated himself that he doesn't expect to be the type of guy who coaches into old age. Coincidentally I think Andy Reid has been wearing down in Philly and maybe things will coincide in the next 2-3 years in a way that Bronco wants to go surf, give firesides and break horses full time and Reid wants to get away from the NFL.....

All random hypothetical thinking on my part and I wouldn't want it unless Reid agreed to drop 40 pounds as part of the deal (don't like super fat guys running my team, nothing against fat guys, just think it's not the right example for a bunch of athletes), but... there are a lot of things I'd like about a Reid-as-HC scenario.

I like that he's a BYU grad. I like that he played with McMahon. I like that he's a convert so he can get both sides of the equation. Having an established NFL coach at the helm won't hurt recruiting. And so on.
      I will be absolutely roasted for this, but I think Reid's family situation will prevent him from ever being the BYU head coach.
      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        Just how successful have ex-NFL head coaches been after moving on to be a collegiate head coach?

1. He doesn't run enough

2. He's too predictable

Well I guess it depends on where you look. Pete Carroll did alright going from the NFL to the NCAA (and now back to the NFL). Al Groh has sucked but then he sucked in the NFL too. Dave Wannstedt has been mixed. Butch Davis is doing a mostly good job - jury still out - at UNC. So I'd have to say that it depends on local factors.
        Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

As Reid enters his 50s, he is not a good candidate for anything other than a short-term hire because his weight makes him a serious mortality risk. I wouldn't want to invest millions in hiring him only to have him suddenly depart and leave the program in a serious lurch.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
            I will be absolutely roasted for this, but I think Reid's family situation will prevent him from ever being the BYU head coach.
            Could well be. I won't roast ya.
            Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

Reid's expertise on offense dwarfs Anae's, I don't think this up for debate. If we had Reid I think we would pull in our best recruiting classes ever for a few years, but would they be able to follow the honor code? who knows.

Comment

As Reid enters his 50s, he is not a good candidate for anything other than a short-term hire because his weight makes him a serious mortality risk. I wouldn't want to invest millions in hiring him only to have him suddenly depart and leave the program in a serious lurch.
                I agree and I think BYU will go young again. So in that light, I think the young LDS coaching talent starts and stops with Brandon Doman in regards to the future BYU head coach. I don't see BYU and Reid ever working and for a lot of reasons. I can see BYU trying to steal Sitake away from Utah if Doman were hired to replace Bronco.
                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Another sign that he's BYU bound: The similarities in their QB situation and how they've handled it.

If Doman isn't the next coach at BYU I'd be mildly surprised.
                  "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

1. He doesn't run enough

2. He's too predictable

You missed my biggest complaint about Andy Reid -- clock management. There are only a couple of coaches in the NFL who are worse at managing timeouts and/or end of half/game clock management than Reid. He may be an offensive guru, but he has cost his team more than a few games because of this.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                      Another sign that he's BYU bound: The similarities in their QB situation and how they've handled it.

If Doman isn't the next coach at BYU I'd be mildly surprised.
                      OK - let's switch it up.

Let's get a DOMAN / Bronco controversy started.
                      Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post

I've always thought the best way for CU to manufacture a rivalry with Utah (and it's in the position where such manufacturing would be vital on CU's part, not so much on Utah) would be to make a run at Bronco Mendenhall, hiring him in 2012. He'd be a clear step up from Hawkins, he's got ties to the scene in the Rockies, and Reid could step in for 2012 after a year off in the broadcast booth. Win-win for everyone. But I'm with Indy ... there might be a little too much PR baggage for BYU to swallow to bring Reid into the fold.

Comment

Vanity of Vanities!
                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                            You missed my biggest complaint about Andy Reid -- clock management. There are only a couple of coaches in the NFL who are worse at managing timeouts and/or end of half/game clock management than Reid. He may be an offensive guru, but he has cost his team more than a few games because of this.
                            I think that's more on his QB than it is Reid. The slow-it-up offense in the Super Bowl vs. the Pats and not knowing about NFL OT rules ... all that blame fell on McNabb, not Reid.

Comment

Working...
                            X