BYU- AFA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU- AFA

I realize BYU is playing the Cadets on 9/11, and they won their opening game by 154 points (though still didn't' cover the spread interesting enough) but was shocked to see AFA initially opened up as a 2.5 point favorite. The wise guys must have jumped on that instantly because the line has already swung to AFA being a 1 to 1.5 dog. I have never wagered on a game, but if I was to I would feel very confident placing a substantial sum of money on the boys in royal blue from Provo.

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    I realize BYU is playing the Cadets on 9/11, and they won their opening game by 154 points (though still didn't' cover the spread interesting enough) but was shocked to see AFA initially opened up as a 2.5 point favorite. The wise guys must have jumped on that instantly because the line has already swung to AFA being a 1 to 1.5 dog. I have never wagered on a game, but if I was to I would feel very confident placing a substantial sum of money on the boys in royal blue from Provo.
    Air Force might be without their best corner this week.
    "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
      Air Force might be without their best corner this week.
      And even if he plays this week, will he be at full strength? It's going to be tough to make the proper cuts on a bum ankle.
      "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
      —Abraham Maslow

Comment

Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
        And even if he plays this week, will he be at full strength? It's going to be tough to make the proper cuts on a bum ankle.
        Hurt his neck and was removed on a stretcher. If he were a West Point cadet, instead of one from the Army Air Corps, he would have spit blood and got back up and continued to play and liked it! He would have demonstrated the spirit that motivated the embattled farmers who fired the shots heard round the world, but alas he needs some time to recuperate in air force "dormitories" and whatnot.

Pussies!
        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

What does AFA have back in the way of returning starters? AFA never worries me, but they do this year. I wish this young team had a few more games under their belts before this game.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            What does AFA have back in the way of returning starters? AFA never worries me, but they do this year. I wish this young team had a few more games under their belts before this game.
            Most of their offensive skill players and about half of their defense. If BYU hurts itself with turnovers and poor execution it could lose. If AFA hurts itself, BYU will get up fast and the game will be similar to the past few years. I think BYU pulls away to a 14-17 point victory. I think BYU's defense is going to put the clamps on AF in a big way. AF is returning its entire OL and I think BYU is going to dominate the LOS and I think BYU's athletic OLB and Rich are going to sniff out the option.
            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I've been worried about this game since the MWC scheduled it, but after Saturday I feel much better. Obviously the key to beating Air Force is stopping the option, and with such a young front seven, they need time to jell as a defensive unit, and trying to learn option defense in only your second game together is a tall task.

BYU's defense showed me enough in the second half against UW to tell me they're up to the challenge. Fuga is a beast and should do a good job stopping the fullback dive provided he doesn't break an ankle or leg. The LBs, including Hunter, were almost always in the right places to stop the run. Bradley and Logan generally provide good run support, although they had a few whiffs against the Huskies. If the cadets try anything fancy through the air, Rich will lay the wood like they haven't felt before (not THAT way, sickos!).

Anae's offense has consistently put up plenty of points against the flyboys. I don't see why that would be any different this week.

I originally said that I'd be happy if BYU wins 2 out of its first 3. After Saturday, I'd be very disappointed if they don't start 2-0.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
                I've been worried about this game since the MWC scheduled it, but after Saturday I feel much better. Obviously the key to beating Air Force is stopping the option, and with such a young front seven, they need time to jell as a defensive unit, and trying to learn option defense in only your second game together is a tall task.

BYU's defense showed me enough in the second half against UW to tell me they're up to the challenge. Fuga is a beast and should do a good job stopping the fullback dive provided he doesn't break an ankle or leg. The LBs, including Hunter, were almost always in the right places to stop the run. Bradley and Logan generally provide good run support, although they had a few whiffs against the Huskies. If the cadets try anything fancy through the air, Rich will lay the wood like they haven't felt before (not THAT way, sickos!).

Anae's offense has consistently put up plenty of points against the flyboys. I don't see why that would be any different this week.

I originally said that I'd be happy if BYU wins 2 out of its first 3. After Saturday, I'd be very disappointed if they don't start 2-0.
                Hunter was in perfect position to get blocked out of the first big run Washington had. AFA will be a better run blocking team than Warsh. I'm not as big on our D, especially LB'ers as most here. I am big on our secondary though, and that is the group that will need to be ready to tackle for this game.

Comment

I just looked it up and BYU has won and covered (quite easily) for the last 7 years. Heck Crowton even beat them sans-Staley.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                    I wish this young team had a few more games under their belts before this game.
                    Young but kinda disciplined, no? At least they appeared that way last Saturday.

BYU has always had AFA's number. I think it's a combination of Cougar discipline and Cougar size.

Everyone talks about the danger of AFA's brand of football which is radically different than every other team. Not so different for BYU.

But, I await with keen interest Utah vs. AFA.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                      Young but kinda disciplined, no? At least they appeared that way last Saturday.

BYU has always had AFA's number. I think it's a combination of Cougar discipline and Cougar size.

Everyone talks about the danger of AFA's brand of football which is radically different than every other team. Not so different for BYU.

But, I await with keen interest Utah vs. AFA.
                      I always scratch my head at the notion of cougar discipline. Given the fact that we often lead the league in penalties, I am wondering why this belief persists. What is it about BYU that would lead to greater discipline?
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        I always scratch my head at the notion of cougar discipline. Given the fact that we often lead the league in penalties, I am wondering why this belief persists. What is it about BYU that would lead to greater discipline?
                        BYU's LBs and safeties are assignment sound against the run....I don't think that means we are disciplined but that is why we do well against AF.
                        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Being disciplined isn't only about being the less penalized.

I also wonder how much correlation there is between penalties and wins. I don't doubt that football refs fall into the NBA ref trap and tend to call more penalties on the leading team/call less penalties on the losing team. I certainly don't think it's as extreme as the NBA.

The ten most penalized teams in 2008 (found after quick google search):

1. Hawaii
                          2. TCU
                          3. Georgia
                          4. South Florida
                          5. Florida International
                          6. USC
                          7. Florida (tie)
                          7. Oklahoma (tie)
                          7. Florida State (tie)
                          10. BYU

Six teams on this list had double digit wins in 2008.
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

I do not even think it has to do with being disciplined it has to do with BYU playing 100% zone defense. Everyone is responsible for a gap. Stay in your gap do not bite on the play fakes and you will beat Air Force. Obviously this is easier said than done as if you are going to play this way you must be confident that you can win all of the one on one battles against the Academy. BYU does a good job of this.
                            *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                              Being disciplined isn't only about being the less penalized.

I also wonder how much correlation there is between penalties and wins. I don't doubt that football refs fall into the NBA ref trap and tend to call more penalties on the leading team/call less penalties on the losing team. I certainly don't think it's as extreme as the NBA.

The ten most penalized teams in 2008 (found after quick google search):

1. Hawaii
                              2. TCU
                              3. Georgia
                              4. South Florida
                              5. Florida International
                              6. USC
                              7. Florida (tie)
                              7. Oklahoma (tie)
                              7. Florida State (tie)
                              10. BYU

Six teams on this list had double digit wins in 2008.
                              Disciplined does not always equal success. The old Miami team was arguably the least disciplined team in history and they won a lot of football games. AFA is often mentioned as extremely disciplined (I would concur), but they aren't a great team.

But your stats illustrate my point. On what basis would anyone consider BYU to be disciplined? I can't think of a better indicator than penalties. Sure there are other things, but it seems to me like that would be the primary barometer.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                              X