Non-Conference Scheduling rumors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
    I could be wrong but I think it's been a long time since the Coliseum sold out. When BYU played there in 2003 the attendance was 75,315. By comparison, UCLA drew 93,172 to the Coliseum that year. The BYU game was the 4th-highest Coliseum crowd for USC that season. Average home attendance was 77,804.
    hmm 2003...I wonder if there was something happening that would make BYU less of a draw for both BYU fans and non BYU fans. I remember something about that year, can't quite remember what though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post
      hmm 2003...I wonder if there was something happening that would make BYU less of a draw for both BYU fans and non BYU fans. I remember something about that year, can't quite remember what though.
      I was just responding to the notion that USC wants to schedule BYU at the Coliseum because the game will be a sellout. The 2003 game is the only evidence we have of how well BYU draws in the Coliseum, and it wasn't a sellout. Turns out that in 2003 the Cougars drew about as well as all the Trojans' other opponents except UCLA, who drew 20,000 more people.
      Last edited by LA Ute; 05-24-2011, 10:38 AM.
      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I could be wrong but I think it's been a long time since the Coliseum sold out. When BYU played there in 2003 the attendance was 75,315. By comparison, UCLA drew 93,172 to the Coliseum that year. The BYU game was the 4th-highest Coliseum crowd for USC that season. Average home attendance was 77,804.

EDIT: I made an error. It was the 3rd-highest crowd, behind UCLA and Washington State. The home game attendance in 2003:

BYU 75,315
        Hawaii 73,654
        Stanford 68,341
        Washington State 82,478
        UCLA 93,172
        Oregon State 73,864

Football capacity at the Coliseum is 93,607.
        Surprised to find that BYU didn't bring more to the Coliseum. Going from memory, I think the Coliseum sold out in 2008 for USC-Ohio St. and in 2006 for USC-Nebraska. Would be surprised if it didn't sell out for UCLA in 2009 and 2007 and Notre Dame in in 2010 and 2008. Props to USC for scheduling home/home with teams like Minnesota, Virginia, and BYU. More of that is needed in college football.
        “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
        "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

I was just responding to the notion that USC wants to schedule BYU at the Coliseum because the game will be a sellout. The 2003 game is the only evidence we have of how well BYU draws in the Coliseum, and it wasn't a sellout. Turns out that in 2003 the Cougars drew about as well as all the Trojans' other opponents except UCLA, who drew 20,000 more people.
          If I remember correctly, that game was held before school started. When compared to other non-conference games held at that time of year in other seasons, BYU drew much better. Sellout? No. Increased revenue? Yes.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
            If I remember correctly, that game was held before school started. When compared to other non-conference games held at that time of year in other seasons, BYU drew much better. Sellout? No. Increased revenue? Yes.
            besides, how exciting was BYU football in 2003? We were at the bottom of the Crowton years.
            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
            Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...uled-against-n
              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
              ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

It was the 3rd-highest crowd, behind UCLA and Washington State.
                Couldn't outdraw Wazzu. That sounds embarassing.

But in defense of BYU, I remember that game. Wazzu was hot. They were a top 10 team & fresh off a Rose Bowl appearance. USC was quite good, too. Didn't they pick up a National Championship that year?

Still disappointing that BYU couldn't get a better turnout. Even in Wazzu's best years, they're not Notre Dame.

Comment

• Poster On CB with apparent sources says that deals with Penn State, Wisconsin, and Oklahoma State are done deals.
                  "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                    Poster On CB with apparent sources says that deals with Penn State, Wisconsin, and Oklahoma State are done deals.
                    "Those and more deals to be announced."

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                      Poster On CB with apparent sources says that deals with Penn State, Wisconsin, and Oklahoma State are done deals.
                      how many times have we heard "poster on CB with sources says we are close to deals with X, Y, and Z"

Comment

how many times have we heard "poster on CB with sources says we are close to deals with X, Y, and Z"
                        A second poster stated that the poster in question is indeed "legit", so it must be true.

Comment

• Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                          A second poster stated that the poster in question is indeed "legit", so it must be true.
                          So we are in the big 12 then. Yes!

Comment

yeah, I mean shouldn't we really be saying "a poseur on CB with sources says . . . "?
                            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                            Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• Goatnapper Alert:

CB poster reporting that Army's website now lists @BYU on their 2012 schedule with date TBD.
                              "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                                Goatnapper Alert:

CB poster reporting that Army's website now lists @BYU on their 2012 schedule with date TBD.
                                This seems to be a simple rumor to verify. has anyone looked at army's website?
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X