Non-Conference Scheduling rumors

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #2836
    Of all the crappy bowls, I'd much prefer the Vegas bowl. In the alternative, BYU should create its own bowl and invite whomever it wants. For example, if the PAC is predicted to have 10 bowl eligible teams but only 7 bowl slots, invite one of those extra teams. Would be better than playing a MWC team.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69722

      #2837
      Boo.

      This is the worst part of independence. Tough to get a decent bowl tie-in.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • Sizzle
        #ThisIsY
        • Nov 2008
        • 9004

        #2838
        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        Of all the crappy bowls, I'd much prefer the Vegas bowl. In the alternative, BYU should create its own bowl and invite whomever it wants. For example, if the PAC is predicted to have 10 bowl eligible teams but only 7 bowl slots, invite one of those extra teams. Would be better than playing a MWC team.
        I'm not sure I totally agree. If the choice is playing the MWC champ in Vegas (borderline ranked team or ranked team, 11-1 or 10-2) or playing the 8th or 9th PAC team in an unknown destination, it probably means playing a Boise/Fresno type team or a Arizona/Wazzu/Utah type team (unranked, probably 6-6) where a win does little to boost credibility.

        I'm not sure either is "clearly" better.

        Comment

        • Sizzle
          #ThisIsY
          • Nov 2008
          • 9004

          #2839
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Boo.

          This is the worst part of independence. Tough to get a decent bowl tie-in.
          As opposed to the great Bowls we were going to as a part of the MWC.

          Comment

          • Maximus
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2009
            • 6024

            #2840
            Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
            As opposed to the great Bowls we were going to as a part of the MWC.
            las vegas is certainly better than Poinsettia.

            Comment

            • TexTechCoug
              Carbonite
              • Nov 2010
              • 891

              #2841
              Not that most of the world agrees with me, but Las Vegas in December is an awful destination.

              US Sevens rugby was originally in San Diego, at PETCO, and was awesome. Last year we went to the Sevens in Vegas and it was awful. Not only was the weather windy and cold, but Sam Boyd is still a dump located in the middle of nowhere.

              I know that fans in general love going to Las Vegas, but I would imagine that most BYU fans would prefer San Diego to Vegas for a winter trip.

              All that being said a MWC opponent is pretty blah.

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #2842
                Vegas is a really fun roadie for a bowl game. I'd rather play craps than walk around Old Town and visit the Mormon monument.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • YOhio
                  Hipster Mode
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 26165

                  #2843
                  I don't care too much. Both bowls are mediocre and pretty much look the same on TV.

                  Comment

                  • All-American
                    Right, as Usual
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 15671

                    #2844
                    BYU needs a few more years where neither jake heaps nor Riley Nelson is its quarterback before it can complain too much about lousy bowls.

                    I do think a likely target for BYU is the holiday bowl, with which it has a history and whose ties to the PAC 12 and Big 12 seem to be deteriorating. It wasn't that long ago that the holiday bowl featured the PAC 10 #2 v. the Big 12 #3. It's something like #3 and #5 now, right?

                    I wonder if the deals with the poinsettia bowl are somehow related to discussions with the holiday bowl.
                    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                    Comment

                    • ERCougar
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 10978

                      #2845
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Boo.

                      This is the worst part of independence. Tough to get a decent bowl tie-in.
                      Yup. If we could get a tie-in to the Holiday Bowl, like an automatic spot with a minimum BCS rank of 25 or something (which doesn't seem that unrealistic), I'd be completely satisfied with independence.
                      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                      Comment

                      • wapiti
                        Junior Member
                        • Apr 2012
                        • 2064

                        #2846
                        Vegas vs Poinsettia

                        Stadium: Vegas. Yes, Sam Boyd is a dump in the middle of no where. But the Q is an awful place to watch a football game. The seats are so far away from the field.
                        Opponent: Vegas. Vegas gets the MWC champ. Poinsettia gets a MWC also-ran.
                        Weather: Poinsettia. Been to a lot of Vegas bowls with lousy weather. And the hot chocolate at Sam Boyd sucks.
                        Things to do: Even. Gamble vs Golf. Yeah, you can golf in Vegas too but the weather could knock that out. This is the most subjective.
                        Ease of travel: Vegas. More fans can get to Vegas but both are easy to attend for most of the western fan base.

                        Vegas wins. But I like either game because they are easy for me to attend.

                        Comment

                        • Dwight Schr-ute
                          Members Only
                          • May 2011
                          • 4917

                          #2847
                          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          Vegas is a really fun roadie for a bowl game. I'd rather play craps than walk around Old Town and visit the Mormon monument.
                          It's a fort!
                          I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

                          Comment

                          • Clark Addison
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 10312

                            #2848
                            I send a monthly email to Tom Holmoe demanding he look into a tie in with the Belk Bowl (formerly known as the Meineke Car Care Bowl) We would not have to pay a lot for that bowl game. I guarantee it.

                            Comment

                            • Jeff Lebowski
                              Corporate lackey for Jesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 69722

                              #2849
                              Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                              I don't care too much. Both bowls are mediocre and pretty much look the same on TV.
                              You used to care about bowl games. Didn't you attend the Sugar Bowl?
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                              Comment

                              • Flystripper
                                Degenerate Gambler
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 14094

                                #2850
                                Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                                As opposed to the great Bowls we were going to as a part of the MWC.
                                Some mwc teams went to great bowls due to conference affiliation and BCS access.
                                Dyslexics are teople poo...

                                Comment

                                Working...