Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski
View Post
The Independent Expansion Groundswell
Collapse
X
-
That's true, but it is of significantly less importance when your rival is gone. I don't think too many BYU fans care that much that TCU won the conference championship instead of BYU. I think TCU going to a BCS bowl game is a different story- we would really like to have gotten that opportunity.Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”
-
-
No, but I probably could suggest something that could help you pull that dead animal out of your ass.Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View PostYes, BCS teams that have finished in the top 25 the past four years straight are just lining up to play in Albuquerque. Don't be a rube. Don't you have some statistics to go dig up to show all of us how impossible it will be for BYU to schedule another one and one with a team ranked around #117?
Comment
-
How the hell did I make that list?Originally posted by beefytee View Post
I know a few people here and there, but I sure wouldn't call it very deep "insider info." Nor have I intentionally branded it as such.
Comment
-
Here is how I would rank things (in terms of importance to me):Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View PostThat's true, but it is of significantly less importance when your rival is gone. I don't think too many BYU fans care that much that TCU won the conference championship instead of BYU. I think TCU going to a BCS bowl game is a different story- we would really like to have gotten that opportunity.
1) BCS bowl bid
2) Conference championship
.
.
.
3) Non-BCS bowl bid"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
"It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
"Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
Comment
-
-
-
You've been pretty up front too. Labeling most of your "insider" posts as "stuff I've heard from media types".Originally posted by shoganai View Post*shrug* I don't think anything I've shared is Earth-shattering. I've picked up a few things from some media guys I'm still in touch with, but most of it has to do with the Pac-10.
Comment
-
It's not a move of desperation. If it happens BYU will make the move with alot of confidence that it is the absolute right move.Originally posted by Top Ute View PostIt's a short-term gain for BYU to try and build interest within a fanbase that's seeing its rival make a clear upgrade across the board in perception, prestige and finances.
This move would have been done already if it really was the financial and logistical slam-dunk some are making it out to be. It reeks of desperation. If this is BYU's way of countering Utah's move to the Pac-10 and trying to dissuade the 10-15 percent of its current fanbase from jumping ship, it will backfire badly."Not at the table Carlos"
Comment
-
I htink you are talking abotu ends and some of us are tlaking about process. I would certainly agree that any move BYU makes might end up being a failure. But that doesnt mean it was a rash decision, it just menas it was a failed choice.Originally posted by DapperDan View PostWell, sure they'll see it that way.
I am convinced that any move will be made after carful and due deliberation and will not be driven by an emotional response to Utah's move to the PAC-10. Reasonable minds can, of course, easily differ oin this one.PLesa excuse the tpyos.
Comment
-
Originally posted by creekster View PostI htink you are talking abotu ends and some of us are tlaking about process. I would certainly agree that any move BYU makes might end up being a failure. But that doesnt mean it was a rash decision, it just menas it was a failed choice.
I am convinced that any move will be made after carful and due deliberation and will not be driven by an emotional response to Utah's move to the PAC-10. Reasonable minds can, of course, easily differ oin this one.I guess I should have added a smileyOriginally posted by Surfah View PostThis is the same as SU droning on about due diligence and Utah and CU's admission to the Pac 10.
Comment
-
This is 100% correct. So what is the point of going independent when you continue to play a pathetic schedule similar to the one you are playing now? An extra million dollars or two? I don't believe money is the issue with this. BYU wants to compete at the top level of college sports. Independence will not offer that to them.Originally posted by CJF View PostWe're not Notre Dame. We're not getting decent schools to play us mid October on when conference schedules are in full swing. Look at Navy's schedule this year. Look at Army's. Those are closer to what we'll be looking at than what you're suggesting. And if that is the future, no thank you.
Like you said, BYU is not Notre Dame, they don't have the pull Notre Dame has and they don' t have the money to bring in teams to their place that Notre Dame has. Scheduling will be a huge issue for BYU if they go Independent.
Another thing, will going Independent make BYU a better program/team?(question not directed at you CJF) I don't think it will. Notre Dame can't even put out a successful program anymore while being independent what makes people think BYU will do better?
I am not saying that BYU won't go Independent, I am saying that if they do it will not be a wise decision."Take it to the Bank"
Comment
-
You're comparing one school to an entire conference? Talk about apples and oranges.Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View PostPure horseshit. Have the WAC teams not played MWC teams on an extremely routine basis since the MWC split off? This point isn't rational at all because the actual scheduling history between MWC and WAC teams suggests the exact opposite. There's absolutely no proof that the individual MWC teams would avoid BYU.
Holmoe to New Mexico AD: "Hey, do you want a one and one with us. Please keep in mind that your team finished around #117 last year and that we'll probably bring about 10-15k fans to your place to watch your shitty team play. Also, just like in the past your fans will probably come in to watch a hated rival. All in all it could be your most profitable game of the year."
New Mexico AD: "Naaah, I'm good. I'm on the horn with North Texas, I'll get back with you."
And New Mexico's most profitable game is when NMSU comes to town, followed by UTEP. Attendance for UNM-BYU was surpassed by three other schools last year, and NMSU outdrew BYU by over 10K. UNLV-UNM fell short of UNM-BYU by about 300 fans.
So you keep fantasizing over that "conversation." Your assertions are beyond hilarious. There's no basis in truth for any MWC school to feel the financial push to have BYU on their schedule every year. Absolutely none.
Comment
Comment