College football viewers in the state of Utah

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Hot Lunch
    Out of Office
    • Nov 2008
    • 7842

    #1

    College football viewers in the state of Utah

    So I was listening to Scotty G. on 1320 kfan this afternoon while driving home from work and I was shocked at a stat he gave. He wanted to share a surprising number that really puts Utah and BYU fans in their place when it comes to how valuable we really think our teams are because of their respective followers.

    Sorry if this has been posted already. Basically he said that along the Wasatch front there are a little over a million households. On Saturday during the fall, the Wasatch front only averages 33,000 homes watching college football on Saturday from week to week. This isn't just Utah and BYU games, this is all of college football in general including our beloved Utes and Cougars. He also mentioned that this would rank 2nd or 3rd to last when compared to all BCS markets across the country.

    I guess college football isn't as popular as I thought it was in Utah.

    I can also see this number going up with Utah going to the Pac-10. With better competition being played in this state, I think the state will see an increase in viewers.
    "Take it to the Bank"
  • Surfah
    Where's Wallace?
    • Nov 2008
    • 33726

    #2
    That number seems incredibly low. But maybe not.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

    Comment

    • All-American
      Right, as Usual
      • Nov 2008
      • 15669

      #3
      Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
      So I was listening to Scotty G. on 1320 kfan this afternoon while driving home from work and I was shocked at a stat he gave. He wanted to share a surprising number that really puts Utah and BYU fans in their place when it comes to how valuable we really think our teams are because of their respective followers.

      Sorry if this has been posted already. Basically he said that along the Wasatch front there are a little over a million households. On Saturday during the fall, the Wasatch front only averages 33,000 homes watching college football on Saturday from week to week. This isn't just Utah and BYU games, this is all of college football in general including our beloved Utes and Cougars. He also mentioned that this would rank 2nd or 3rd to last when compared to all BCS markets across the country.

      I guess college football isn't as popular as I thought it was in Utah.

      I can also see this number going up with Utah going to the Pac-10. With better competition being played in this state, I think the state will see an increase in viewers.
      Wow. I find that hard to believe, especially where BYU is putting 65k in the seats and Utah is putting 45k.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

      Comment

      • Hot Lunch
        Out of Office
        • Nov 2008
        • 7842

        #4
        Originally posted by All-American View Post
        Wow. I find that hard to believe, especially where BYU is putting 65k in the seats and Utah is putting 45k.
        I didn't see the numbers and I don't know where he got them from. Just reporting what he was talking about. I was shocked as well.

        Maybe those people going to the home games aren't watching the weeks they are on the road. Who knows?
        "Take it to the Bank"

        Comment

        • All-American
          Right, as Usual
          • Nov 2008
          • 15669

          #5
          Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
          I didn't see the numbers and I don't know where he got them from. Just reporting what he was talking about. I was shocked as well.

          Maybe those people going to the home games aren't watching the weeks they are on the road. Who knows?
          I guess one thing I want to know is how many people are watching per home. When you've got 12 home games between the two schools, you have an average weekly attendance AT THE GAMES of 55k, including weeks when the team is playing away. I can't believe that more people go to the games than watch them at home, but I absolutely can't believe that more people go to the home game than watch the away game (figuring that most people who go to the home game watch the away game).
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

          Comment

          • BoylenOver
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 9146

            #6
            Originally posted by All-American View Post
            I guess one thing I want to know is how many people are watching per home. When you've got 12 home games between the two schools, you have an average weekly attendance AT THE GAMES of 55k, including weeks when the team is playing away. I can't believe that more people go to the games than watch them at home, but I absolutely can't believe that more people go to the home game than watch the away game (figuring that most people who go to the home game watch the away game).
            Not only that, but I would also assume there's a certain percentage of the population that are football fans who don't support either BYU or Utah.

            That number truly is incredibly low.
            "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
            "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

            Comment

            • beelzebabette
              Golf & Cubs Disrespecter
              • Nov 2008
              • 2907

              #7
              Must be fun to throw out a completely random, made up stat and see how many times you're subsequently cited.

              Comment

              • old_gregg
                scaly man fish
                • Nov 2009
                • 16915

                #8
                kfan's staff (other than when they play rome) are a bunch of morons. david locke thinks he is the savior of the basketball world and is a real prick. bagley is the only one i can even remotely stand to listen to, and that's when he's not being called an idiot by locke. there is obviously no way that this stat is even accurate in the least. by the way, locke is a completely uninformed numbnuts when it comes to anything that is not the nba.
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                Comment

                • falafel
                  loves to talk on things
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 37988

                  #9
                  How can there be 1 million households along the wasatch front alone? It was my impression that there are only about 2 million people in utah in the first place. Surely a household averages 2 people, probably more. I think Scotty's full of crap.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                  Dig your own grave, and save!

                  "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                  "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • All-American
                    Right, as Usual
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 15669

                    #10
                    Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    How can there be 1 million households along the wasatch front alone? It was my impression that there are only about 2 million people in utah in the first place. Surely a household averages 2 people, probably more. I think Scotty's full of crap.
                    Must be all those people who own two homes.
                    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                    Comment

                    • SCcoug
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 7625

                      #11
                      Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      How can there be 1 million households along the wasatch front alone? It was my impression that there are only about 2 million people in utah in the first place. Surely a household averages 2 people, probably more. I think Scotty's full of crap.
                      There are around 944,060 tv households in the SLC media market. Utah has around 2.7 million people. Still that 33,000 household stat is wrong.

                      Comment

                      • Blueintheface
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2009
                        • 15382

                        #12
                        Originally posted by camleish View Post
                        kfan's staff (other than when they play rome) are a bunch of morons. david locke thinks he is the savior of the basketball world and is a real prick. bagley is the only one i can even remotely stand to listen to, and that's when he's not being called an idiot by locke. there is obviously no way that this stat is even accurate in the least. by the way, locke is a completely uninformed numbnuts when it comes to anything that is not the nba.
                        Your avatar is judging me.
                        "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                        "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                        Comment

                        • Bengal Cougar
                          Captain Sexy Pants
                          • Jun 2010
                          • 109

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                          So I was listening to Scotty G. on 1320 kfan this afternoon while driving home from work and I was shocked at a stat he gave. He wanted to share a surprising number that really puts Utah and BYU fans in their place when it comes to how valuable we really think our teams are because of their respective followers.

                          Sorry if this has been posted already. Basically he said that along the Wasatch front there are a little over a million households. On Saturday during the fall, the Wasatch front only averages 33,000 homes watching college football on Saturday from week to week. This isn't just Utah and BYU games, this is all of college football in general including our beloved Utes and Cougars. He also mentioned that this would rank 2nd or 3rd to last when compared to all BCS markets across the country.

                          I guess college football isn't as popular as I thought it was in Utah.

                          I can also see this number going up with Utah going to the Pac-10. With better competition being played in this state, I think the state will see an increase in viewers.
                          I would really like to get a look at the numbers Gerrard was using, because that sounds like a really low number to me.
                          "Not at the table Carlos"

                          Comment

                          • UtahDan
                            *
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 14496

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                            Your avatar is judging me.
                            No, it merely holds the scepter of judgment over you.

                            Comment

                            • Uncle Ted
                              The Big 12 money shot.
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 28853

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                              So I was listening to Scotty G. on 1320 kfan this afternoon while driving home from work and I was shocked at a stat he gave. He wanted to share a surprising number that really puts Utah and BYU fans in their place when it comes to how valuable we really think our teams are because of their respective followers.

                              Sorry if this has been posted already. Basically he said that along the Wasatch front there are a little over a million households. On Saturday during the fall, the Wasatch front only averages 33,000 homes watching college football on Saturday from week to week. This isn't just Utah and BYU games, this is all of college football in general including our beloved Utes and Cougars. He also mentioned that this would rank 2nd or 3rd to last when compared to all BCS markets across the country.

                              I guess college football isn't as popular as I thought it was in Utah.

                              I can also see this number going up with Utah going to the Pac-10. With better competition being played in this state, I think the state will see an increase in viewers.
                              I call BS on this one...

                              The BYU vs. USU game drew a 7.5 rating. There are 114.9 million television households in the USA so 8,617,500 million USA television households watched this game. Salt Lake City has 0.822% of the television households in the USA. Therefore, at least 70,835 television households in Utah watched just this college football game given that Utah would be the primary market.

                              Sources:

                              Explore the News Articles featuring Technology, Business, Entertainment, and Science & Health topics. Access reports, insights, and stories.




                              [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_ratings"]Nielsen ratings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              Working...