No announcement yet.

Utah's and BYU's National Presence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BYU can claim significant fan bases (whether BYU grads, or LDS-cheerers) in the following top-50 media markets: LA #2, Bay-area #6, Phoenix #12, Seattle #14, Denver #18, Sacramento #20, Portland #23, San Diego #27, and Las Vegas #43. Then, add high concentrations of BYU fans in niche markets (Idaho, Hawaii, smaller CA markets), and respectable clusters of fans/alumni/LDS in other top media markets (Dallas/FW #5 and D.C. #9) and you truly have a national following of which TV contracts negotiators will take note. In fact, during the '90s the Cougs frequently appeared on ESPN and, according to our associate athletic director, BYU had five of the top 10 highest-rated football telecasts in ESPN history (at least up until that point).

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      BYU can claim significant fan bases (whether BYU grads, or LDS-cheerers) in the following top-50 media markets: LA #2, Bay-area #6, Phoenix #12, Seattle #14, Denver #18, Sacramento #20, Portland #23, San Diego #27, and Las Vegas #43. Then, add high concentrations of BYU fans in niche markets (Idaho, Hawaii, smaller CA markets), and respectable clusters of fans/alumni/LDS in other top media markets (Dallas/FW #5 and D.C. #9) and you truly have a national following of which TV contracts negotiators will take note. In fact, during the '90s the Cougs frequently appeared on ESPN and, according to our associate athletic director, BYU had five of the top 10 highest-rated football telecasts in ESPN history (at least up until that point).
      Hearsay and conjecture by a BYU homer.
      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
        Hearsay and conjecture by a BYU homer.
        Five of the top 10 highest-rated football telecasts in ESPN history! Read it and weep!

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
          You mean 2 of the 3 lowest BCS bowl TV ratings in history?
          Wrong

I can't get too mad at you. If I got all my info from reading CB, TBS, Dick Harmon and the Daily Herald I would probably think BYU's exclusion from the PAC 10 was an abomination as well.
          Last edited by DU Ute; 06-24-2010, 08:57 AM.
          "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
          "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
          "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

This thread is cute. What ever distracts you from reality.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
              This thread is cute. What ever distracts you from reality.
              Yeah... you're right. Both BYU and Utah suck when it comes to national presence and attendance. I have been to high school football games with twice the attendance of what a Utah State vs. Utah game can draw.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                You mean the data that you make up in your imagination?
                Sorry, you WFB, you guys have to deal with modern reality, and not what BYU's sports information people put out. Here you go:

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819384

The evidence is that not a whole lot of people want to watch BYU football in bowl games. Only a few more want to watch Utah, unless they play in a Sugar Bowl.

Face it, BYU and Utah are located in a time zone with 6% of the US population in it. That's tough to overcome. BYU can draw Mormons to a stadium where they are playing, because of the Church's sponsorship, not because they are a big draw for college football fans. By the way, I talk to lots of college football fans from all over the USA, and only BYU fans seem to try attendance smack. It's pretty lame when you think about it.

Last edited by LA Ute; 06-24-2010, 11:08 AM.
                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                  Sorry, you WFB, you guys have to deal with modern reality, and not what BYU's sports information people put out. Here you go:

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819384
                  Hmm... TCU vs. BSU in the Fiesta bowl got a higher TV rating (8.23) than Utah vs. Alabama in the Sugar Bowl (7.80). Boise State also got a higher TV rating playing Oklahoma in the Fiesta bowl (8.40).
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Nugent View Post
                    Hmm... TCU vs. BSU in the Fiesta bowl got a higher TV rating (8.23) than Utah vs. Alabama in the Sugar Bowl (7.80). Boise State also got a higher TV rating playing Oklahoma in the Fiesta bowl (8.40).
                    Yup. Pretty interesting. BTW, I didn't mean to be nasty. That's just how YO and I communicate. He deserves it.
                    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

I thought this thread was about BYU's national appeal, not its inability to get into a BCS bowl game.

Comment

Here is an interesting article on crowd draw for BYU and Utah football...

I was at the 2005 BYU at ND, 2007 BYU at Tulsa, 2009 BYU vs. OU at Jerry's World, and 2009 BYU at Tulane games mentioned. I have given up on going to that hell hole called Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas, however.

Edit: I have to add watching BYU playing at ND was truly a religious experience for me.
                        If this means anything, then I am sure the Big 12-2 will be delighted to snap up BYU.
                        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                          If this means anything, then I am sure the Big 12-2 will be delighted to snap up BYU.
                          :box:
                          ― W.H. Auden

Comment

Working...
                          X