The Big 12 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I like the style of the new one SC just put in.

For Ute fans that made the trek, how was the video screen in person?

Wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
      I stated as much above. Utah needs AQ funds and increases from donors to come up with stuff like that while byu historically was able to shuffle the accounting books to get the church to pay for improvements. Church or State, in the end it all comes down to whose teat you suckle and how politically expedient the improvements are(whether at 350 N. State St or at 50 E. North Temple St the issue is similar).

And it isn't exclusively 'catching up to byu' so much as it is greatly improving the overall game viewing experience to meet what is becoming the norm nationwide.
      The church has never paid for improvements to BYUs athletic facilities. You are truly a dumb ass.
      *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
        The church has never paid for improvements to BYUs athletic facilities. You are truly a dumb ass.
        And you are saying they don't own the new mall downtown. I didn't say 'tithing' paid for the improvements directly. But church support in other areas allows the athletic program to use incoming funds directly to pay for improvements.

I didn't pay for the new sweater my wife bought over the weekend either.

Comment

And you are saying they don't own the new mall downtown. I didn't say 'tithing' paid for the improvements directly. But church support in other areas allows the athletic program to use incoming funds directly to pay for improvements.

I'm curious. Does Utah use tuition money for its athletics programs?
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Actually the indoor practice field and new student athlete building were paid with donations. Not church funds. Donations from high level donors specifically for those two buildings.
            *Banned*

Comment

I fully realize it will take an extraordinarily SPECIAL year to go 13-0 or even 10-3 in the league. Call me a masochist but I prefer the parity. I just hope the up/down cycles for both of our teams are somehow levelled a bit. The bipolar quality of play needs to end, and my hope is we will both be able to recruit
              Unlike some fans, I never felt that 9-3 was special given the schedule that BYU has mostly played. Sure there were special moments over the years, but no really special seasons. In the Big 12 7-5 or 8-4 would be good seasons filled with special moments against superior competition. I will take that over 10-2 versus the dregs of the NCAA. 10-2 in the Big 12 would be special. (at least to me)
              Last edited by Flystripper; 10-03-2011, 02:07 PM.
              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Hoops practice facility: isn't Rose clamoring for some new practice digs? where would they build it?
                Why would BYU need a practice facility for hoops? What does a separate building give you that the MC doesn't? Do other schools have b-ball practice facilities?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
                  Why would BYU need a practice facility for hoops? What does a separate building give you that the MC doesn't? Do other schools have b-ball practice facilities?
                  I don't know but I thought he wanted one. Good question.

Every team in the NBA has separate practice facilities and your same question could be asked of that. I've never understood it for basketball, truthfully. The arena is big enough to house training/therapy/meeting/film rooms, as well as offices, I would imagine. Maybe not.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I don't know but I thought he wanted one. Good question.

Every team in the NBA has separate practice facilities and your same question could be asked of that. I've never understood it for basketball, truthfully. The arena is big enough to house training/therapy/meeting/film rooms, as well as offices, I would imagine. Maybe not.
                    So they can practice during Tuesday devotionals once they are in the B12 and finally start to ignore all that churchy stuff.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                      Actually the indoor practice field and new student athlete building were paid with donations. Not church funds. Donations from high level donors specifically for those two buildings.
                      I know for a fact this is true, as I stated earlier my wife's family donated multimillion in assets to help pay for the practice facility and other projects.

I'd love to see an upper deck and an HD hugescreen.

Finally, I'd LOVE for the lighting of the Y actually be the lighting of the Y.
                      "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

Not that it matters to any of you, but I agree with Lavell. Despite the 1 loss to a decent Baylor team, 1983 was a stellar year. They beat UCLA, Bowling Green, Air Force, and Missouri, all of whom were ranked higher than everybody they beat in 1984.

1984 was almost an afterthought by comparison, as their best win was against Hawaii.

Those were some special years for the state as far as football goes.
                        The trouble with BYU claiming 1983 as a "championship caliber" team is that there were several teams that were more accomplished than BYU that year. After losing their opener to Baylor in 1983, there was little to no chance at a MWC because the dominos did not fall for BYU near to the extent that they did the following year:

Same with 1996. Was that really a "championship caliber" team? In other words, did BYU really have a shot at a MWC?

I only bring this up because in the Big 12, if BYU puts together a similar team like 1983-84 or 1996; then it will have a conference schedule that will allow the Cougars to earn a better shot at a MNC/BCS title game. But then it will have a much tougher schedule to navigate to get to that point. Same with Utah in the PAC-12. If the Utes go undefeated, then they will most likely win a national title. A one-loss Utah may still not be out of BCS game consideration.
                        “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                        "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
                          The issue with the MC isn't for scheduled practices. The issue is when players want to come in early, stay late or on an off day. I don't care if other schools have a b-ball practice facility. If they don't, which I suspect most of the top tier programs do, let's be the trend setter. Anything that gives a recruiting edge, I'm all for. A dedicated practice facility would be a big deal if I was a recruit. That states emphatically that we are serious about basketball at our school.
                          "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
                          —Abraham Maslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                            The trouble with BYU claiming 1983 as a "championship caliber" team is that there were several teams that were more accomplished than BYU that year.
                            That's why we were using the term "championship caliber" rather than just plain old championship. Nobody has claimed BYU would have surely beaten all those other teams. But they probably would have had a good shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
                              The issue with the MC isn't for scheduled practices. The issue is when players want to come in early, stay late or on an off day. I don't care if other schools have a b-ball practice facility. If they don't, which I suspect most of the top tier programs do, let's be the trend setter. Anything that gives a recruiting edge, I'm all for. A dedicated practice facility would be a big deal if I was a recruit. That states emphatically that we are serious about basketball at our school.
                              This is exactly the reason. Tell the recruits that they will be given a key card to enter the practice facility and they can shoot around any time 24/7. Have dedicated study rooms, and even bring in tutors or schedule study hall time in the center. Tell them they can earn a reserved parking space.

Also every player can have his/her own hoop if desired. Stuff like this would seem to be huge in the mind of an 18 year-old.

PARABLE: It is like unto the kid who was the bishop's son and had the keys to the church. He would practice late at night and early in the morning when nobody was around. It probably didn't help his game much while he was in high school, but he certainly felt 'empowered' by having his own personal basketball gym.

The end.

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                              The trouble with BYU claiming 1983 as a "championship caliber" team is that there were several teams that were more accomplished than BYU that year.
                              Good point. Under the old system the 'champion' was usually the last one left standing. I still think the 1983 team was better overall, and they were blowing out better competition, than the 1984 team. But as you state there were 6-8 teams who deserved to 'rank higher' in the end in 1983.

Comment

• I'm Thinking Presser Wednesday 7:15 or Saturday 8pm.

Comment

Working...
                                X