No announcement yet.

USC 2 year post season ban/loses schollies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like this tweet on the issue I saw this morning.

Originally posted by @craigcalcaterra
    I for one am outraged that anyone other than the NCAA, USC and Nike made money off of Reggie Bush and O.J. Mayo's unpaid labor.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post

No kidding.

And Petey skates. I think they should punish him by assessing a 2-year penalty on any NCAA school that ever attempts to hire him in the future. Teach him to escape to the NFL when the cookie crumbles.
      Any everyone thought that Neuheisel was the definition of a weasel. Pete takes the cake.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallelujah View Post
        Any everyone thought that Neuheisel was the definition of a weasel. Pete takes the cake.
        the cake is a lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
          only?

These are huge. huge huge huge. And combined with the loss of the head coach. eeeg. I'm getting deja vu.
          Worst part was having to give up some wins from 2004. Who cares? If Chow and Sarkesian were involved, they should face some penalties as well. After all, it wasn't the 'school' it was individuals who violated NCAA rules. Penalty should follow the individuals as well......even more so.

Comment

The problem with this penalty is that USC is being punished for Reggie Bushs parents taking money from an agent. Reggie took nothing, his parents took a car and a house. So now NCAA programs have to police the parents of players as well?
            *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
              I didn't mean "only" to insinuate that the penalties were insignificant. I had read that this may only be a beginning - in particular, forfeiture of games.
              Yeah, I'm sure the wins will be vacated at least initially. That, though, is the part of the ruling I suspect the Trojans are most likely to appeal, and most likely to win.

Comment

The best part about this is that Kiffin gets to suffer through it.

Comment

Up to 30 scolies over 3 years. Wow. Nobody can say they didn't get the hammer dropped.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

The football team must vacate all wins in which Bush played while ineligible, starting in December 2004. The NCAA accepted USC's self-imposed penalty of vacating all wins in which Mayo competed during the 2007-08 season.
                    wow.

And the most damning of all...

The women's tennis program must vacate all wins in which the ineligible player competed between November 2006 and May 2009 -- a penalty which was self-imposed by USC.

Comment

So 30 scholarships over 3 years really means 10 scholarships over 3 years, right?

As in, they can only have 75 players instead of 85 for 3 years?

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
                        So 30 scholarships over 3 years really means 10 scholarships over 3 years, right?

As in, they can only have 75 players instead of 85 for 3 years?
                        They can only offer 15 per year over the next 3 years, instead of 25 per year. What that adds up to in terms of their 85 limit depends on a lot of different things, including transfers out and class balance.
                        Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                          They can only offer 15 per year over the next 3 years, instead of 25 per year. What that adds up to in terms of their 85 limit depends on a lot of different things, including transfers out and class balance.
                          So it doesn't actually affect the cap of 85? Still, that seems pretty serious, especially with the combination of no postseason and free transfers for upperclassmen.

Comment

They did drop the hammer. Bama was completely hamstrung during probation and for a couple of years thereafter and only was docked 21 scholarships. These sanctions, if they stand will be incredibly destructive to the program for at least 5 years.

Bama's record during the probation years 2003-2007-

4-9
                            6-6
                            10-2
                            6-7
                            7-6

Probation was not the only factor during all of this, but it really damaged recruiting and depth.

Comment

Yeah this actually seems ridiculously harsh. I'm all for parity so I guess it's fun to see one of the big boys brought down, but not like this.

Was the crime really severe enough to justify destroying the football program for 3 years? Is USC's recent track record sufficient for them to recover quickly when it's over?

It seems that the number of players who transfer asap will be a sign. I fell sorry for the incoming freshmen, who just got royally screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
                                Yeah this actually seems ridiculously harsh. I'm all for parity so I guess it's fun to see one of the big boys brought down, but not like this.

Was the crime really severe enough to justify destroying the football program for 3 years?
                                lol. This is way bigger than three years. I don't think you guys get just how harsh this is. Like I said earlier, and like NMD suggested, this is brutal.

I think USC will appeal and the sentence will be reduced, but it's clear that the NCAA wants to make a statement, and the next decade of USC football is going to be affected as a result.

Comment

Working...
                                X