Utes on the brink

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SeattleUte
    Faith crisis consultant
    • Nov 2008
    • 20837

    #1

    Utes on the brink

    Lost amid all the shock and dismay over the latest rumors--no, excuse me, the latest NEWS--about expansion, is clear-eyed and realistic recogniton that a year ago, or, absent the faniciful "rumors" of a "done deal" that only had Crimson/two utes types drooling, these latest developments would be miraculously positive for the Utes. A year ago, it seemed the status quo was rock solid. The usual response to Pac 10 expansion speculation was "why should the Pac 10 do anything?" The emerging upheavel could not be better news for the Utes, mired in the MWC. (How could we have ever thought this was going to be easy and anti-climactic?)

    I suppose it's possible that like the Cuban missile crisis a whole lot of seeming run up to a cataclysmic event could just suddenly wind up in continuance of the satus quo. But right now, that seems the least likely outcome (if you are laying odds) of the four scenarios, and whatever the Pac 10 does, if it does SOMETHING, the outcome will be very good for the Utes. Utes! We're on Larry Scott's whiteboard!

    Here is the Colorado site's open expansion forum, where many are agreeing with a Denver Post opinion that Colorado should just go join Utah, TCU et al. in creating a new order in middle America.

    Your best source for quality Colorado Buffaloes news, rumors, analysis, stats and scores from the fan perspective.


    Thus we see that BYU fans should be praying that Scott and the Texas legislature will have their way. If Utah and BYU do wind up in a greatly improved MWC or successor to the MWC, picking up the likes of Colorado, Kansas (the biggest prize of the B12 outside looking in teams, I maintain), Kansas State, and Iowa State, BYU WILL BE COATAILING UTAH. But I'm still hoping we go to the Pac with CU and get this caca off our shoe.

    No, JL, we are most emphaitcall NOT cancelling the PIE, at least in spirit. Utes, OUR DAY MAY AT LAST BE AT HAND!
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 06-06-2010, 08:43 PM.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift
  • myboynoah
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 21719

    #2
    Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Lost amid all the shock and dismay over the latest rumors--no, excuse me, the latest NEWS--about expansion, is clear-eyed and realistic recogniton that a year ago, or, absent the faniciful "rumors" of a "done deal" that only had Crimson/two utes types drooling, these latest developments would be miraculously positive for the Utes. A year ago, it seemed the status quo was rock solid. The usual response to Pac 10 expansion speculation was "why should the Pac 10 do anything?" The emerging upheavel could not be better news for the Utes, mired in the MWC. (How could we have ever thought this was going to be easy and anti-climactic?)

    I suppose it's possible that like the Cuban missile crisis a whole lot of seeming run up to a cataclysmic event could just suddenly wind up in continuance of the satus quo. But right now, that seems the least likely outcome (if you are laying odds) of the four scenarios, and whatever the Pac 10 does, if it does SOMETHING, the outcome will be very good for the Utes. Utes! We're on Larry Scott's whiteboard!

    Here is the Colorado site's open expansion forum, where many are agreeing with a Denver Post opinion that Colorado should just go join Utah, TCU et al. in creating a new order in middle America.

    Your best source for quality Colorado Buffaloes news, rumors, analysis, stats and scores from the fan perspective.


    Thus we see that BYU fans should be praying that Scott and the Texas legislature will have their way. If Utah and BYU do wind up in a greatly improved MWC or successor to the MWC, picking up the likes of Colorado, Kansas (the biggest prize of the B12 outside looking in teams, I maintain), Kansas State, and Iowa State, BYU WILL BE COATAILING UTAH. But I'm still hoping we go to the Pac with CU and get this caca off our shoe.

    No, JL, we are most emphaitcall NOT cancelling the PIE, at least in spirit. Utes, OUR DAY MAY AT LAST BE AT HAND!
    I hope you find what you're looking for.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

    Comment

    • New Mexican Disaster
      Suomalainen
      • Nov 2008
      • 4549

      #3
      Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      BYU WILL BE COATAILING UTAH. .

      !
      How is that again? I am used to tortured logic but not leaps and conclusory statements from you.

      Comment

      • Portland Ute
        Junior Member
        • Dec 2008
        • 5647

        #4
        Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
        How is that again? I am used to tortured logic but not leaps and conclusory statements from you.
        Too much vino this evening, perhaps?

        Comment

        • Shaka
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 10449

          #5
          On the brink of suicide? Shower rods everywhere are cowering in fear.

          Comment

          • SeattleUte
            Faith crisis consultant
            • Nov 2008
            • 20837

            #6
            Originally posted by Shaka View Post
            On the brink of suicide? Shower rods everywhere are cowering in fear.
            I'm sorry you guys aren't participating in this game. It must be hard. Really, this all should be an eye-opening reality check for you all. But I realize introspection is not among your strengths.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

            --Jonathan Swift

            Comment

            • BlueHair
              Boom Bitches!!!
              • Nov 2008
              • 2894

              #7
              I will concede that BYU is coattailing if Utah turns down an offer from the PAC 10 unless BYU is also included. Other than that, I can't think of any scenario where BYU could possibly be coattailing.
              Just try it once. One beer or one cigarette or one porno movie won't hurt. - Dallin H. Oaks

              Comment

              • SeattleUte
                Faith crisis consultant
                • Nov 2008
                • 20837

                #8
                Originally posted by BlueHair View Post
                I will concede that BYU is coattailing if Utah turns down an offer from the PAC 10 unless BYU is also included. Other than that, I can't think of any scenario where BYU could possibly be coattailing.
                BYU is simply nugatory.
                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                --Jonathan Swift

                Comment

                • Shaka
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 10449

                  #9
                  Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                  I'm sorry you guys aren't participating in this game. It must be hard. Really, this all should be an eye-opening reality check for you all. But I realize introspection is not among your strengths.

                  Really? I'm sure it's been a lot of fun getting all worked up only to realize that everything you've been told is B.S. I'm sure KWhitt is enjoying telling potential recruits that he may have be premature on the Utah to Pac-10 stuff.

                  Comment

                  • SeattleUte
                    Faith crisis consultant
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 20837

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                    Really? I'm sure it's been a lot of fun getting all worked up only to realize that everything you've been told is B.S. I'm sure KWhitt is enjoying telling potential recruits that he may have be premature on the Utah to Pac-10 stuff.
                    I never believed it was a done deal. My responses to the Hurd and Utefans and the like attest to that. Whit never said anything of the kind. You're in la la land like those who thought it was a done deal were. Right now, Utah is in as good a position as anyone could hope for. If the Big 11 stays intact we're more likely than not in the Pac 10 winners circle for one thing. It's probably less than 50/50 that Texas will go to the Pac 10.
                    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                    --Jonathan Swift

                    Comment

                    • All-American
                      Right, as Usual
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 15665

                      #11
                      Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                      I never believed it was a done deal. My responses to the Hurd and Utefans and the like attest to that. Whit never said anything of the kind. You're in la la land like those who thought it was a done deal were. Right now, Utah is in as good a position as anyone could hope for. If the Big 11 stays intact we're more likely than not in the Pac 10 winners circle for one thing. It's probably less than 50/50 that Texas will go to the Pac 10.
                      I think maybe not enough vino.
                      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                      Comment

                      • SeattleUte
                        Faith crisis consultant
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 20837

                        #12
                        Originally posted by All-American View Post
                        I think maybe not enough vino.
                        I'm not sure what the point of these infantile references are. I never said Utah to the Pac 10 was a done deal. On the contrary. I did say that once you heard Herd explain himself the whole thing sounded stupid; talk show windbaggery.

                        I always felt that if Scott bit on Pac 10 wants to expand, finally said those words--articulating ANY SCENARIO--that would move the Utes closer to the Pac 10. Okay, so he's going to try to get Texas first. Is that surprising? Do you disagree that it's still less than 50/50 that Texas joins the Pac 10?
                        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                        --Jonathan Swift

                        Comment

                        • LiveCoug
                          LA Ute loves me
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 18488

                          #13
                          Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                          BYU is simply nugatory.

                          I love how much you make use of your 2010 365 New Words Page-A-Day Calendar.

                          Comment

                          • myboynoah
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 21719

                            #14
                            Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                            I'm not sure what the point of these infantile references are. I never said Utah to the Pac 10 was a done deal. On the contrary. I did say that once you heard Herd explain himself the whole thing sounded stupid; talk show windbaggery.

                            I always felt that if Scott bit on Pac 10 wants to expand, finally said those words--articulating ANY SCENARIO--that would move the Utes closer to the Pac 10. Okay, so he's going to try to get Texas first. Is that surprising? Do you disagree that it's still less than 50/50 that Texas joins the Pac 10?
                            How can you or anyone else lay odds on such a thing? There isn't enough information. If you have real odds on the likelyhood of ND deciding to join the Big 10 within the next two weeks, then I would say those same odds apply to Texas to the Pac 10.

                            If Texas doesn't go, obviously Utah to the Pac 10 needs to increase revenues for Pac 10 members for that invitation to come. Have you run those numbers? I honestly don't know what those numbers would look like, but I suspect Utah comes up short. But if you can share, I'd like to see what you have.
                            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                            For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                            Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                            Comment

                            • jay santos
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 13652

                              #15
                              Locke has a good take on Utah and BYU expansion.

                              Utah: is a viable add on for a major conference expansion but only in that it fills a spot. It's not a reason for expanding, but if a conference NEEDS to expand to get to a required number and needs a spot to fill, it's an option

                              BYU: because of religious affiliation, no Sunday play, and difficulty to work with (i.e. committee of GA's are the decision makers) they will be left out of all major conference expansion unless someone is desperate


                              Neither are positions to thump your chest over.

                              Comment

                              Working...