How many whiny, bitter "I hate Utah" threads will cougjunkie start by September?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SeattleUte
    Faith crisis consultant
    • Nov 2008
    • 20837

    #46
    Hey Junkie, if you go to Utefans you'll see that right after the OSU game I called it the Utes' Tyus Edney dash. What do you think of that? I'd say I called it. Wouldn't you?
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

    Comment

    • HuskyFreeNorthwest
      Time to camp
      • Nov 2008
      • 26082

      #47
      Clearly I am missing something, but I enjoyed your temple pics.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

      Comment

      • RobinFinderson
        Banned
        • Nov 2008
        • 10548

        #48
        Wow! One thing apparent from all of those temple photos is that the Mormon architectural style guide for modern temples begins and ends with Fank Lloyd Wright:







        Comment

        • SeattleUte
          Faith crisis consultant
          • Nov 2008
          • 20837

          #49
          Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
          Wow! One thing apparent from all of those temple photos is that the Mormon architectural style guide for modern temples begins and ends with Fank Lloyd Wright:
          Not all of them. Atlanta is Frank Lloyd Wright? Boston is faux parthenon. I think the conference center north of TS is very Albert Speer.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

          --Jonathan Swift

          Comment

          • RobinFinderson
            Banned
            • Nov 2008
            • 10548

            #50
            Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
            Not all of them. Atlanta is Frank Lloyd Wright? Boston is faux parthenon. I think the conference center north of TS is very Albert Speer.
            The Atlanta temple is still picking up Wright themes in the stained glass and wrought iron fence around the temple grounds:



            I sort of see what you are saying with the Boston temple, but rather than the Parthenon I see it straining not to look too Catholic. Those little Parthenon-lite facades on the sides? You just know they wanted to reach out a little farther (to let in more natural light, cross ventilation, etc.), but then it might begin to look like a cross.

            I haven't walked the conference center. The scale looks like Speer, but are there massive Romanesque colonnades? I still see Wright in the conference center (driving by it, not walking through it).
            Last edited by RobinFinderson; 02-08-2009, 11:39 PM.

            Comment

            • SeattleUte
              Faith crisis consultant
              • Nov 2008
              • 20837

              #51


              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

              --Jonathan Swift

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #52
                That first link reminds me of the scale models Hitler used for his Linz Museum project, with the great museum at the foot of the main throughway.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • SeattleUte
                  Faith crisis consultant
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 20837

                  #53
                  Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  That first link reminds me of the scale models Hitler used for his Linz Museum project, with the great museum at the foot of the main throughway.
                  It was Speer's model.

                  How'd this thread go from Junkie being a whiney BYU homer to temple threads. Weirdest hijack ever.
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                  --Jonathan Swift

                  Comment

                  • TripletDaddy
                    sweet triple
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 58186

                    #54
                    Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                    It was Speer's model.

                    How'd this thread go from Junkie being a whiney BYU homer to temple threads. Weirdest hijack ever.
                    Wow, so I was relatively close in my guess. Ok, so is that the Volkshalle? I guess I should have paid more attention.

                    The Linz Project layout was loosely based on Berlin's footprint, so no wonder it reminded me of it. Although the Linz Project did not have the Arch.

                    Now I am starting to wonder whether I should feel good about recognizing Nazi architecture from one simple black and white photo. That might not be a good thing.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • RobinFinderson
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 10548

                      #55




                      I can see what you mean. I still think the tall windows and doors and the cascading roof gardens are more Wrightian... but Speer was playing with some of that too, so I take your point.

                      Comment

                      • SeattleUte
                        Faith crisis consultant
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 20837

                        #56
                        Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post




                        I can see what you mean. I still think the tall windows and doors and the cascading roof gardens are more Wrightian... but Speer was playing with some of that too, so I take your point.
                        Thanks for setting the pictures like that. You see what I mean!? Come on. Look closely. It's uncanny.
                        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                        --Jonathan Swift

                        Comment

                        • RobinFinderson
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 10548

                          #57
                          Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                          Thanks for setting the pictures like that. You see what I mean!? Come on. Look closely. It's uncanny.
                          I said I take your point! You know one other Speer-like thing about the conference center... with the gardens growing down some of the sides of the building it almost looks like some Pre-Colombian ruin turned into a shopping mall. Well Wright was taking a lot of his inspiration from Pre-Columbian architecture (which probably explains the church's fascination with Wright (who was a total lech), since the Pre-Columbian angle dovetails nicely with Lamanite stories) as you can see in the image below. So here is the Speer connection -- Speer developed a concept called Ruin Value, in which he tried to design buildings that would create aesthetically pleasing ruins. Well I can't help but see some Ruin Value-lite in the conference center. Hitler loved Ruin value!

                          Finally, the design architects for the conference center were not the usual suspects from the HQ. Zimmer-Gunsal-Frasca is a major design office doing some fairly contemporary work. DDD would recognize all of the work they have done at Exposition Park.

                          Wow... I always knew I had it in me to contribute to the football category. Who would have thunk?

                          Last edited by RobinFinderson; 02-08-2009, 10:00 PM.

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69696

                            #58
                            Yet again, we see why SU is troll-of-the-year. Well done.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • wuapinmon
                              Soul Plumber
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 30711

                              #59
                              Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                              I said I take your point! You know one other Speer-like thing about the conference center... with the gardens growing down some of the sides of the building it almost looks like some Pre-Colombian ruin turned into a shopping mall. Well Wright was taking a lot of his inspiration from Pre-Columbian architecture (which probably explains the church's fascination with Wright (who was a total lech), since the Pre-Columbian angle dovetails nicely with Lamanite stories) as you can see in the image below. So here is the Speer connection -- Speer developed a concept called Ruin Value, in which he tried to design buildings that would create aesthetically pleasing ruins. Well I can't help but see some Ruin Value-lite in the conference center. Hitler loved Ruin value!

                              Finally, the design architects for the conference center were not the usual suspects from the HQ. Zimmer-Gunsal-Frasca is a major design office doing some fairly contemporary work. DDD would recognize all of the work they have done at Exposition Park.

                              Wow... I always knew I had it in me to contribute to the football category. Who would have thunk?

                              I miss threads like this....we go from baiting junkie to Fiyero's awesome temple photo collection to Robin talking about Wright to SU mentioning Speer, to DDD recognizing Nazi architecture and Robin ending with a photo of Mayan ruins (Uxmal, maybe?).
                              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                              Comment

                              Working...