Lavell Edwards about to be honored on ESPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
    Jeff Benedict just posted an excerpt from a biography he's working on with Steve Young. The excerpt is from Steve's freshman year at BYU and what sticks out the most is the amount of real talent that Lavell was able to assemble. The team and staff had future pro players, coaches and execs.

http://www.jeffbenedict.com/index.ph...ousand-spirals
    That was great. Very inspiring.

Stories like that (also Kurt Warner and Aaron Rodgers who had no D-1 offers) make me wonder how many guys there are out there who would have been HOF players but just never had coaches who would give them a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post

Stories like that (also Kurt Warner and Aaron Rodgers who had no D-1 offers) make me wonder how many guys there are out there who would have been HOF players but just never had coaches who would give them a chance.
      Didn't know that about Rodgers. Just looked at his wiki and it said not many teams were interested because he was 5'10" 160 lbs in HS.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post

Amy Winehouse, Jewel, Adele, Steven Tyler . . .
        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
          Amy Winehouse, Jewel, Adele, Steven Tyler . . .
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

How did Rogers end up at Cal? Did he just walk on and grow bigger?

Weird he would not have much interest.
            Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Douger View Post

He went to JC first.
              "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by The_Douger View Post

He had no offers coming out of high school so he went to an obscure JC upstate. Jeff Tedford (Cal's relatively new head coach) attended a game because he was recruiting a receiver (I don't remember the name). Tedford was to that point unaware of Rodgers but was dazzled by his performance. He was then stunned to learn that he wasn't being recruited by anyone else. Easy pickings.

Comment

That was a great read. Steve Young was my first BYU idol. I remember making my dad drive me from our house in Midvale to the old Orem Dairy Queen on 8th North and State Street because Steve Young was singing autographs that day. It was just some random Saturday and the guy was there for hours signing crap for what seemed half the kids in SL/UT counties. Pretty cool.
                  "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                    Jeff Benedict just posted an excerpt from a biography he's working on with Steve Young. The excerpt is from Steve's freshman year at BYU and what sticks out the most is the amount of real talent that Lavell was able to assemble. The team and staff had future pro players, coaches and execs.

http://www.jeffbenedict.com/index.ph...ousand-spirals
                    Don't know how I missed this the first time. Great read. Whittingham has always been an asshole.

Comment

This dude suggests that Young is the only NFL QB ever to make the transition from dual threat type to complete pocket passer.

I’ve given a lot of thought to the question of mobile quarterbacks, and specifically this: Can you be a mobile, movement quarterback who makes spontaneous running plays, and also a precise quarterback who masters all of the subtleties of playing the position in the pocket?

Theoretically, there has only been one quarterback that made the transition from spontaneous, spectacular mobile quarterback to a precision pocket quarterback, and that’s Steve Young. He was coached by arguably the greatest quarterback coach we’ve seen in Bill Walsh, who understood that the position starts and ends in the pocket and anything else is ancillary.
                      http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...185345656.html
                      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post
                        Don't know how I missed this the first time. Great read. Whittingham has always been an asshole.
                        Most linebackers are this way. The mentality goes with the position.

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post
                          well you know what they say about apples and trees and his mom is a bitch
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Working...
                          X