Originally posted by UtahDan
View Post
Alex Smith hates BYU?
Collapse
X
-
But ironically most Utah fans ridicule BYU for supposedly asserting they are held to a higher standard until something like this happens, when they use the higher standard as a justification to ridicule otherwise very common conduct. Plenty of silliness to go around, IMO.PLesa excuse the tpyos.
-
Persecution complex?Originally posted by UtahDan View PostBy the way I just googled the Smith quote linked above just now and can see it is all over the internet the last couple of days. The funny, and not remotely surprising think, is that almost every BYU who comments on it immediately consults their persecution complex for an explanation. Double standard!
The fact is, it wasn't a story when he said it, because the contexts were remarkably different. This is beyond obvious. The other thing that is beyond obvious is that there is a double standard for BYU players, because they play atBYU. They hold themselves out as adhering to a higher standard.
This is a nice effort at tit for tat but even the most cursory effort at holding the two up side by side for content, context, timing, speaker, emotion, etc., real it for the sad attempt to change the subject that it is. But as I say, not a bad effort. Lots of people who are also anxious to immediately consult their persecution complexes will no doubt eat it up.
Yet another case of me being surprised at someone taking this all too seriously."There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
"It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
"Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
Comment
-
I'm not sure your post meets the high standards that you, BYU and I have set for you.Originally posted by creekster View PostBut ironically most Utah fans ridicule BYU for supposedly asserting they are held to a higher standard until something like this happens, when they use the higher standard as a justification to ridicule otherwise very common conduct. Plenty of silliness to go around, IMO.“There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
― W.H. Auden
"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
-- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Comment
-
Yes, yes, they are. The fanbases are very different in their (hyper)sensitivity/pansiness. That has now become "beyond obvious".Originally posted by UtahDan View PostThe fact is, it wasn't a story when he said it, because the contexts were remarkably different. This is beyond obvious.
At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
-Berry Trammel, 12/3/10
Comment
-
Another failure to meet the BYU standard. I am very disappointed in you. We are talking about graduates of the Lord's University here, doggonit! Not to mention the Harvard of the West.Originally posted by ERCougar View PostYes, yes, they are. The fanbases are very different in their (hyper)sensitivity/pansiness. That has now become "beyond obvious".
Last edited by LA Ute; 12-03-2009, 10:25 AM.“There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
― W.H. Auden
"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
-- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Comment
-
I can't quite wash the U med school out of me.Originally posted by LA Ute View PostAnother failure to meet the BYU standard. I am very disappointed in you. We are talking about graduates of the Lord's University here, doggonit! Not to mention the Harvard of the West.
At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
-Berry Trammel, 12/3/10
Comment
-
I posted this in one of the CUF Bot threads, but since no one reads those I'm putting it here too. I think it is a nice addendum to the above:
I just googled Lenny Gomes. Maybe people knew this, but he changed his last name to Lenny Gregory. After a career in the lumber industry he became a high school teacher and football coach in Georgia. He has directed at least one player BYU's way who would never have been on the kid's radar (Kori Gaines) though Gregory has never been LDS.Originally posted by SteelBlueSounds to me like they shared the company gas card with lots of friends over a long period of time? There's a Lenny Gomes joke in here somewhere, I just can't quite put it together.
Of his famous quote, he says he has regretted it for almost 17 years now.
As a coach, Gregory has sought to impart the wisdom he has gained from his experiences in life and in football to Gaines and the rest of the athletes that pass through the Grayson program. One of the things that he stresses is how to carry oneself as an athlete.
“I started 39 games at BYU and was a three-time all-conference player. But everyone remembers me for a stupid comment I made.”
Sounds like Lenny is genuinely a quality guy. I could take a page or two out of his book.
Comment
-
Nice read. My dad has similar feelings for lavell. Lavell had at least as big an impact on players off the field as he did on it. As good a coach as he was, he's a better person.Originally posted by UtahDan View PostI posted this in one of the CUF Bot threads, but since no one reads those I'm putting it here too. I think it is a nice addendum to the above:
I just googled Lenny Gomes. Maybe people knew this, but he changed his last name to Lenny Gregory. After a career in the lumber industry he became a high school teacher and football coach in Georgia. He has directed at least one player BYU's way who would never have been on the kid's radar (Kori Gaines) though Gregory has never been LDS.
Of his famous quote, he says he has regretted it for almost 17 years now.
Sounds like Lenny is genuinely a quality guy. I could take a page or two out of his book.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...t-of-the-story
This is also the reason i don't get bugged at broncos quirks.At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
-Berry Trammel, 12/3/10
Comment
Comment