The Scalley Apology

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jarid in Cedar
    CS Institutional Memory
    • Jun 2009
    • 13234

    #16
    Originally posted by CJF View Post
    It's been a few years but if I remember the conversations correctly, Morgan was preparing his lesson for his deacons and realized he had done something he would teach them not to do. It bothered him. He made the post to apologize. I called him when I saw it a couple of hours later to let him know I took it down. He was at church. He called me when he got home and said he could not in good conscience give a talk at a fireside that evening without apologizing. So he posted again without his number. I don't think he was worried about his image as much as he was worried about being hypocritical to kids. Morgan was about as humble of a kid as I've ever met. He comes from a very good family and I think he really regretted bringing bad press to them, the U, and the Church. As mild as that bad press was. Again, it's been 5 years so I could be remembering incorrectly some of the details.
    Morgan reiterated this story on Kall700 tonight.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

    "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

    "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

    -Rick Majerus

    Comment

    • ERCougar
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 10978

      #17
      Originally posted by CJF View Post
      It's been a few years but if I remember the conversations correctly, Morgan was preparing his lesson for his deacons and realized he had done something he would teach them not to do. It bothered him. He made the post to apologize. I called him when I saw it a couple of hours later to let him know I took it down. He was at church. He called me when he got home and said he could not in good conscience give a talk at a fireside that evening without apologizing. So he posted again without his number. I don't think he was worried about his image as much as he was worried about being hypocritical to kids. Morgan was about as humble of a kid as I've ever met. He comes from a very good family and I think he really regretted bringing bad press to them, the U, and the Church. As mild as that bad press was. Again, it's been 5 years so I could be remembering incorrectly some of the details.
      That's cool then. I knew his older brother much better but I have nothing bad to say about any of them. I can actually say that about all the Ute players I've known personally.

      Still, I don’t like Utah. In fact, I hate them. I hate everything about them. I hate their program, I hate their fans, I hate everything. I think the whole university, their fans and their organization, is classless.
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

      Comment

      • CJF
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 8497

        #18
        Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
        Morgan reiterated this story on Kall700 tonight.
        Really? Was I close?
        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

        Comment

        • Jarid in Cedar
          CS Institutional Memory
          • Jun 2009
          • 13234

          #19
          Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
          That's cool then. I knew his older brother much better but I have nothing bad to say about any of them. I can actually say that about all the Ute players I've known personally.

          Still, I don’t like Utah. In fact, I hate them. I hate everything about them. I hate their program, I hate their fans, I hate everything. I think the whole university, their fans and their organization, is classless.
          You are still welcome to come to my house regardless of your hatred
          "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

          "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

          "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

          -Rick Majerus

          Comment

          • falafel
            loves to talk on things
            • Mar 2009
            • 37988

            #20
            Originally posted by CJF View Post
            Really? Was I close?
            Sort of. He mentioned that his post was taken down by some prick, and that he had to put it up again.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

            Dig your own grave, and save!

            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • YOhio
              Hipster Mode
              • Nov 2008
              • 26165

              #21
              Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
              You are still welcome to come to my house regardless of your hatred
              I'm pretty sure ER Cougar doesn't want to go to your stupid house with all your dead deer (spikes, lol!) adorning the walls.

              Comment

              • Jarid in Cedar
                CS Institutional Memory
                • Jun 2009
                • 13234

                #22
                Originally posted by CJF View Post
                Really? Was I close?
                He was a little more verbose, but you captured the essense of it. He went into why he apologized even when others were saying that he didn't need to. His comment was that he needed to apologize for his own good in that even if it hadn't been recorded and broadcast, he still knew later that he was in the wrong and did not like the taste it left in his mouth. It was quite humbling to me to listen to him talk. You could still hear that it bothered him at little even now.
                "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                -Rick Majerus

                Comment

                • Jarid in Cedar
                  CS Institutional Memory
                  • Jun 2009
                  • 13234

                  #23
                  Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  I'm pretty sure ER Cougar doesn't want to go to your stupid house with all your dead deer (spikes, lol!) adorning the walls.
                  SCOREBOARD!!!

                  "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                  "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                  "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                  -Rick Majerus

                  Comment

                  • CJF
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 8497

                    #24
                    Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    Sort of. He mentioned that his post was taken down by some prick, and that he had to put it up again.
                    Sounds like I got it 100% right.
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

                    Comment

                    • falafel
                      loves to talk on things
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 37988

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                      SCOREBOARD!!!

                      Fun to see how hunting and religion rank in your house
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                      Dig your own grave, and save!

                      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69719

                        #26
                        Just to reiterate, I find his motives admirable and he sound like a nice guy. I just found some humor in the fact that he used CB as a venue to issue an apology. The fact that he included his phone number is further evidence that he must have been completely naive about internet message boards.

                        Bless his Ute heart.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        Working...