BYU vs. Utah Dread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU vs. Utah Dread

Does anyone besides Jarid dread this game and all the attendant bullshit and invective?
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Does anyone besides Jarid dread this game and all the attendant bullshit and invective?
    I havent really seen it this year. Mostly I get "meh" when I ask around.

Comment

With the outcome of the Holy War having significant implications for the Deseret Duel Championship, I don't know how anyone could dread this game.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        With the outcome of the Holy War having significant implications for the Deseret Duel Championship, I don't know how anyone could dread this game.
        Personally, I'm enjoying this year. Last year the pressure was suffocating, with all that was at stake. This year we have our laurels to rest on, and this game really does belong to BYU. We have nothing to prove, no expecations. Every fan deserves a respite year like this. As Katy says, the past few weeks we've just been perparing our brilliant young qb for future glory years. Pressure's off. It feels good! On the other hand, if BYU doesn't run away with this game every BYU fan really needs to ask him- or herself WTF?
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I haven't attended a Holy War in years, mainly due to distance and its proximity to Thanksgiving. I find a vocal few from both fanbases to be real buttfungi (one of the best entries into the non-vulgar insults thread) that I can't stand to talk to under normal circumstances and absolutely hate during rivalry week.

As far as the game itself, it has almost become unwatchable to me. I pace, swear, throw things, mutter under my breath, throw things. It is like a 3 hour prostate exam. I guess some people find it enjoyable, but for me it is relief when it mercifully comes to an end.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
            I haven't attended a Holy War in years, mainly due to distance and its proximity to Thanksgiving. I find a vocal few from both fanbases to be real buttfungi (one of the best entries into the non-vulgar insults thread) that I can't stand to talk to under normal circumstances and absolutely hate during rivalry week.

As far as the game itself, it has almost become unwatchable to me. I pace, swear, throw things, mutter under my breath, throw things. It is like a 3 hour prostate exam. I guess some people find it enjoyable, but for me it is relief when it mercifully comes to an end.
            If I didn't have such a strong dislike for BYU I'd wish a respite year for you like we Ute fans are enjoying. But I want the canker of unfulfilled expectations to devour all you BYU fans because you root for BYU. Sorry, just being honest!

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Personally, I'm enjoying this year. Last year the pressure was suffocating, with all that was at stake. This year we have our laurels to rest on, and this game really does belong to BYU. We have nothing to prove, no expecations. Every fan deserves a respite year like this. As Katy says, the past few weeks we've just been perparing our brilliant young qb for future glory years. Pressure's off. It feels good! On the other hand, if BYU doesn't run away with this game every BYU fan really needs to ask him- or herself WTF?
              Sadly I haven't had the pleasure of reading your posts during rivalry week before. Is there a point durinng the week where you actually make some serious points or is it all about reading your own posts and manipulating yourself while doing so.

Comment

If I didn't have such a strong dislike for BYU I'd wish a respite year for you like we Ute fans are enjoying. But I want the canker of unfulfilled expectations to devour all you BYU fans because you root for BYU. Sorry, just being honest!
                Your honesty can really hurt sometimes.

Comment

How does one get fitted for an ass hat? Any haberdashers on the board that could help SU in this regard?
                  "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

This is why Utah is still trying to get to the top. The top tier teams don't have respite years. They reload. I don't care if we win the National Championship next year. I want to get back to the top level, where we have All-American quarterback after All-American quarterback. I want to get back to beating the pants off Utah every year. I want every team in the conference to hate BYU, because we dominate them ever season. That is what being a top tier team is all about. You can enjoy your season every 4 years. I have higher expectations.
                    "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
                    —Abraham Maslow

Comment

Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
                      This is why Utah is still trying to get to the top. The top tier teams don't have respite years. They reload. I don't care if we win the National Championship next year. I want to get back to the top level, where we have All-American quarterback after All-American quarterback. I want to get back to beating the pants off Utah every year. I want every team in the conference to hate BYU, because we dominate them ever season. That is what being a top tier team is all about. You can enjoy your season every 4 years. I have higher expectations.
                      BYU has been taking it easy for 13 years.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Regarding the rivalry, this is the one week that I can enjoy. It is about the game and the teams that are currently playing the game. The game is the pinnacle of the rivalry because the winner has the ultimate trump card for the whole year: SCOREBOARD. The winner gets to strut and primp, and the loser gets to plan for next year.

The trouble is all of the drivel that usually fills the remainder of the year:

First and foremost is the idiots who use the game as an outlet to express their religious biases.
                        The rest:
                        Drunken Ute bear spray smack
                        Uptight, condescending Cougar fan smack
                        Fanbase smack
                        February Championship Smack
                        Is Smith or Beck a bigger bust
                        4th and 18
                        Harline is still open....and so is Krugar
                        Stadium Smack
                        BCS game smack
                        MNC smack

The rivalry is about the game. The rest of the above has little bearing on who will win Saturday yet it .

So I enjoy this week above all because it can be about the rivalry and none of the other garbage.
                        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Is Smith or Beck a bigger bust
                          This is an argument?

Comment

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

SU one week ago:
                              http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showpo...71&postcount=1

SU now:
                              We're cool. No pressure. We don't care about this game.

I wonder where he'll be on Saturday?
                              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Working...
                              X