You can't give tickets away right now

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #31
    Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Oh, the waltz! I tried the Lambada. I didn't get tickets. I got arrested.
    Classic rookie mistake doing that dance outside of LES. Nobody will want to sit next to you if they think you may try to put your "feet" up next to them during the game.

    Save the Lambada for the Orange Bowl. Or the Fiesta Bowl. Or even the Emerald Bowl, actually.

    The waltz is your strategic dance of choice for BYU games, any of the service academies, the Harvard/Yale grudge match, and Rutgers home games.

    "Dancing with yourself" if you want to make friends at Ute games. Be careful!
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • byu71
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22070

      #32
      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      No, I was referring to the general populace. They are the ones that attend/not attend based on superfluous reasons, such as temperature. I don't doubt that you have attended more than your fair share of BYU games in bad weather or when the team was having a down period.

      I guess I was just concurring with Jay Santos in his thread premise. I am not sure what IndyCoug is trying to do by being obstinate with regards to a premise that is fairly self-evident: when a team is out of the running, it is tougher to get rid of tickets. Why do you need a sample size to prove that? How about this crazy premise: when a team is undefeated late in the season, tickets are generally more expensive, too. Shocker.

      I don't fault Jay Santos for skipping the BYU game to support his children. That is the right thing to do, of course. I do fault Jay Santos for being jealous of popular people, though.

      My point though for years has been you need that fringe fan base to fill the stadium. The fringe likes wins, big wins. Call them bandwaggoners if one wants to, but you aren't going to shame them or "convert" them to filling the stadium because BYU plays with honor and integrity.

      So 40,000-55,000 of the very righteous and devoted fans can sit in the stadium and pat themselves on the back about what wonderful fans they are and point from that spacious building to the rest who are watching the game on TV, on their couch, holding to the rod.

      Just an honest question here. Does anyone think the increase in CC donations and ticket sales has come as a result of the program promoting firesides or do you think it has come in anticipation of things even better than 10 win seasons and a couple of MWC championships.

      Comment

      • TripletDaddy
        sweet triple
        • Nov 2008
        • 58186

        #33
        Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
        So what if they say you should leave? Screw 'em.
        I actually believe you when you say this.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

        sigpic

        Comment

        • byu71
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 22070

          #34
          Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
          Come on, 71, you aren't really letting the TRUE FANS OF COUGARBORD drive you away, are you? So what if they say you should leave? Screw 'em.
          No, I am not saying that. However and anyone is welcome to rip on me if I am wrong, the aura that I hear coming from this program emboldens those type of fans.

          I have a friend who is, "active" in the church. He said the other day, I am sick and tired of paying the kind of money I do to be preached to. I get that from my wife and at church. Maybe it is a Utah phenominon (sp), but some people rub shoulders with the religiously enthused enough at church and church functions. They would like football to be an entertaining release.

          Comment

          • WashingtonCoug
            Monsters like me
            • Jan 2009
            • 1489

            #35
            I just figured most fans were going to be in Hawaii after the basketball game.
            "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
            —Abraham Maslow

            Comment

            • beefytee
              Board eye candy
              • Mar 2009
              • 7542

              #36
              Originally posted by byu71 View Post
              No, I am not saying that. However and anyone is welcome to rip on me if I am wrong, the aura that I hear coming from this program emboldens those type of fans.

              I have a friend who is, "active" in the church. He said the other day, I am sick and tired of paying the kind of money I do to be preached to. I get that from my wife and at church. Maybe it is a Utah phenominon (sp), but some people rub shoulders with the religiously enthused enough at church and church functions. They would like football to be an entertaining release.
              Why bother with CB then if it bothers you so much? I rarely look at anything over there anymore.

              The only place I get overloded with fireside stuff is from you on this board. I don't here about them at the game. Bronco doesn't talk about them much at the general press conferences and coaches shows...that I've notice. I'm not a CC member, so I don't know how much they are talked about at those functions. The Cougar emails I get have never mentioned them that I remember. The only place I've heard much about them is on CB.

              Comment

              • byu71
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 22070

                #37
                Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                Why bother with CB then if it bothers you so much? I rarely look at anything over there anymore.

                The only place I get overloded with fireside stuff is from you on this board. I don't here about them at the game. Bronco doesn't talk about them much at the general press conferences and coaches shows...that I've notice. I'm not a CC member, so I don't know how much they are talked about at those functions. The Cougar emails I get have never mentioned them that I remember. The only place I've heard much about them is on CB.
                You make some valid points. I probably shouldn't let those that don't contribute to the CC tell me what should and shouldn't bother me. I am going to work on it.

                Comment

                • SeattleUte
                  Faith crisis consultant
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 20837

                  #38
                  Guess what. Fans aren't fans to learn to endure loss and disappointment. There's plenty of that in real life. They want to be vicarious champions. Over on Utefans they naval gaze about why the basketball program attendance has declined steadily since 1999, with an upsurge in 2005. DUH!! Myself, I've never been ashamed to be a fair weather fan. I'm willing to write a few words on message boards about the need to give a coach his due and a chance to succeed. But don't expect me to go out of my way to watch a team that isn't possibly on a trajectory to greatness. Sorry, just being honest!
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                  --Jonathan Swift

                  Comment

                  • TripletDaddy
                    sweet triple
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 58186

                    #39
                    Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                    Guess what. Fans aren't fans to learn to endure loss and disappointment. There's plenty of that in real life. They want to be vicarious champions. Over on Utefans they naval gaze about why the basketball program attendance has declined steadily since 1999, with an upsurge in 2005. DUH!! Myself, I've never been ashamed to be a fair weather fan. I'm willing to write a few words on message boards about the need to give a coach his due and a chance to succeed. But don't expect me to go out of my way to watch a team that isn't possibly on a trajectory to greatness. Sorry, just being honest!
                    I am proud that have finally admitted that the 2008 Utes didn't really accomplish much other than win their bowl game.

                    If they were truly great, you would have attended the games.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • SeattleUte
                      Faith crisis consultant
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 20837

                      #40
                      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      I am proud that have finally admitted that the 2008 Utes didn't really accomplish much other than win their bowl game.

                      If they were truly great, you would have attended the games.
                      I watched Oregon State, TCU, BYU and Alabama.
                      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                      --Jonathan Swift

                      Comment

                      • byu71
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 22070

                        #41
                        Originally posted by beefytee View Post

                        The only place I get overloded with fireside stuff is from you on this board.
                        OK, I gave this some thought so I wouldn't answer in a smart ass fashion.

                        I don't think you can find a place where I have criticized Bronco for having the firesides. I actually don't know if they help or hurt the team. Therefor I have no opinion. If one were to ask me, I don't care if they have them or not.

                        For me, firesides are an easy metaphor for what I call the religion/football mentality. It is easier than talking about all the other things at the same time like:

                        The priority list, President Eyring not mentioning football when hiring Bronco, fireside being more fulfilling than football during the week, dissapointed in fan attendance and player attendance at fireside, recruits recruit BYU not the other way around, some may not like the priority list that tough luck, Colorado St. fans cheered their team and lastly the "BYU mission statement".

                        If you are honest you can't say a coaches show doesn't have some mention of the priorities. So in deference to your getting tired of hearing fireside, I will make a valid effort not to use the metaphor anymore. Mainly because it appears when I do, it is misunderstood.

                        I don't mind the religion aspect, I just don't want it constantly preached to me. I do have a choice though, don't I.

                        Comment

                        • Ruby Soho
                          Junior Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 120

                          #42
                          Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                          Demand for tickets is a pretty good gauge of what the interest in the program is. Going up a decent opponent and ticket demand is zilch. My guess is we'll have 55K in the stands.
                          Demand for a BYU/AFA Ticket might be low for a number of reasons.

                          #1 It's AFA, they play a brand of football that is boring as hell and BYU never loses this game unless Crowton is coaching it
                          #2 BYU doesn't have any exciting playmakers on Offense or Defense, like Collie & Kehl, and they play a brand of Defense that is boring as hell
                          #3 The Weather will suck
                          #4 The game is in HD on CBS-CS
                          #5 Bronco has been pissing on the fans this season. He's upset because attendance for the Home game firesides is down

                          Comment

                          • jay santos
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 13652

                            #43
                            Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                            Yep, just like my stocks I bought the tickets for $75 and sold them for $35. I am a frickin genius.
                            I'm talking about the ability to sell something worth $20 for $35.

                            Comment

                            • TripletDaddy
                              sweet triple
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 58186

                              #44
                              Originally posted by Ruby Soho View Post
                              Demand for a BYU/AFA Ticket might be low for a number of reasons.

                              #1 It's AFA, they play a brand of football that is boring as hell and BYU never loses this game unless Crowton is coaching it
                              #2 BYU doesn't have any exciting playmakers on Offense or Defense, like Collie & Kehl, and they play a brand of Defense that is boring as hell
                              #3 The Weather will suck
                              #4 The game is in HD on CBS-CS
                              #5 Bronco has been pissing on the fans this season. He's upset because attendance for the Home game firesides is down
                              I forgot that it will be in HD. I hope my Vegas grandparents have an HD TV since that is where we will be camping out tomorrow. Actually, I hope they have COx or Dtv. Not sure which cable carrier they use.
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • cougjunkie
                                *Banned*
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 23223

                                #45
                                Can someone tell me the last time BYU had less than 60,000 at a game? I am guessing it was at least 4-5 years ago. We will have more than 60,000 for AF. If not I am fine with that as well, less traffic.
                                *Banned*

                                Comment

                                Working...