Utes moving into Pac-10 country

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • creekster
    It is NOT a monkey!
    • Nov 2008
    • 22661

    #1

    Utes moving into Pac-10 country

    So I am out at my lunch time walk today and I walk past a local sports themed restaurant (McCovey's). This place will sometimes hang banners and flags of teams that are playing in some significant sporting event. I was very surprised to see this today:



    3 PAC-10 schools (no Stanford, I notice), Florida Gators and the Utes? Weird. Maybe SU is right about something after all.


    (for those of you who are not tuned into the minutiae of my life, I live and work in a suburban area outside of San Francisco)
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.
  • BoylenOver
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 9146

    #2
    Ki Yi!
    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

    Comment

    • Donuthole
      Official Outgayer
      • Nov 2008
      • 25268

      #3
      Originally posted by creekster View Post
      So I am out at my lunch time walk today and I walk past a local sports themed restaurant (McCovey's). This place will sometimes hang banners and flags of teams that are playing in some significant sporting event. I was very surprised to see this today:



      3 PAC-10 schools (no Stanford, I notice), Florida Gators and the Utes? Weird. Maybe SU is right about something after all.


      (for those of you who are not tuned into the minutiae of my life, I live and work in a suburban area outside of San Francisco)
      I'm just happy you got a picture of Bob Kelso on his day off!
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

      There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

      Comment

      • DU Ute
        RIP CUF
        • Dec 2008
        • 7393

        #4
        Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        I'm just happy you got a picture of Bob Kelso on his day off!
        "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
        "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
        "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

        Comment

        • creekster
          It is NOT a monkey!
          • Nov 2008
          • 22661

          #5
          Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          I'm just happy you got a picture of Bob Kelso on his day off!
          good guess, but actually it was his almost doppleganger, Carleton Sheets.

          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

          Comment

          • PaloAltoCougar
            Semper infra dignitatem
            • Nov 2008
            • 16938

            #6
            Ute fans have had a couple of gatherings there to watch games. The flag says "please come again."

            Comment

            • TripletDaddy
              sweet triple
              • Nov 2008
              • 58186

              #7
              My guess is that the chain is owned by some grads from SC, UCLA, and Cal.

              The Utes and Gators wait tables but are treated like family.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • DU Ute
                RIP CUF
                • Dec 2008
                • 7393

                #8
                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                My guess is that the chain is owned by some grads from SC, UCLA, and Cal.

                The Utes and Gators wait tables but are treated like family.
                It's not a chain, the restaurant is a tribute to SF Giant great Willie McCovey. He played in the Pacific Coast League before he made the majors. It appears he was obviously impressed enough with the U when he came to town to play the Salt Lake Bees that he requested the flag be flown at the establishment bearing his name.
                "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

                Comment

                • creekster
                  It is NOT a monkey!
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 22661

                  #9
                  Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
                  It's not a chain, the restaurant is a tribute to SF Giant great Willie McCovey. He played in the Pacific Coast League before he made the majors. It appears he was obviously impressed enough with the U when he came to town to play the Salt Lake Bees that he requested the flag be flown at the establishment bearing his name.
                  Ther is a willie mcCovey room at the place. In the first couple of years the place was open he used to show up with some regularity. I haevnt seen him there in a long time.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                  Comment

                  • creekster
                    It is NOT a monkey!
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 22661

                    #10
                    Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    Ute fans have had a couple of gatherings there to watch games. The flag says "please come again."
                    Really? is that the case?
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                    Comment

                    • PaloAltoCougar
                      Semper infra dignitatem
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 16938

                      #11
                      Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      Really? is that the case?
                      Yes, I remember at least one such gathering being promoted on Utefans, and I'm pretty sure there were others.

                      BTW, I've had some fun get-togethers with HS buddies at McCovey's. Lots of fun Giants memorabilia, even if the food quality was not especially memorable.

                      Comment

                      • Lost Student
                        BAND!
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 4324

                        #12
                        Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        So I am out at my lunch time walk today and I walk past a local sports themed restaurant (McCovey's). This place will sometimes hang banners and flags of teams that are playing in some significant sporting event. I was very surprised to see this today:



                        3 PAC-10 schools (no Stanford, I notice), Florida Gators and the Utes? Weird. Maybe SU is right about something after all.


                        (for those of you who are not tuned into the minutiae of my life, I live and work in a suburban area outside of San Francisco)
                        Is that Texas between Utah and Cal?
                        "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                        "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                        This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                        "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                        "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

                        Comment

                        • creekster
                          It is NOT a monkey!
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22661

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
                          Is that Texas between Utah and Cal?
                          i dont think so. As you can tell from my time spent on this board I am a busy guy; far too busy to walk over and check it out up close, but in fact i think it was either a giants flag or somethign for the restaurant.

                          btw, PAC is correct, the food is at best so-so.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                          Comment

                          • Moliere
                            One man.....one pie
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 27886

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
                            Is that Texas between Utah and Cal?
                            Nope, I'm pretty sure Nevada is between Utah and Cal.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                            Comment

                            • Blueintheface
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 15382

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                              Nope, I'm pretty sure Nevada is between Utah and Cal.
                              You've seen pictures.

                              BTW, how does "The Machine" get to date Sharipova? How is that possible? Was she impressed by his play in the playoffs last year?
                              "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                              "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                              Comment

                              Working...