Boise earned a lot of respect

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Coach McGuirk
    1
    • Nov 2008
    • 12109

    #1

    Boise earned a lot of respect

    with that Oregon win, didn't they?

  • Indy Coug
    Heartless Bastard
    • Dec 2008
    • 18747

    #2
    Loads of additional data has come in over the last 8 weeks.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

    Comment

    • Coach McGuirk
      1
      • Nov 2008
      • 12109

      #3
      does all that data trump head to head?

      Comment

      • KillerDog
        a.k.a. K-dog
        • Feb 2009
        • 4196

        #4
        That is the tough part about college football. Head to head has little bearing on perception. Part of the reason for this is the home field advantage in some places (like Bronco Stadium and Autzen Stadium) that is overwhelming. I think BSU is better than Oregon but I think the game guaged it pretty accurately. The two teams are very close and whoever is at home would win.

        Comment

        • Indy Coug
          Heartless Bastard
          • Dec 2008
          • 18747

          #5
          Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
          does all that data trump head to head?
          Ask 1985 UTEP.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

          http://twitter.com/CougarStats

          Comment

          • il Padrino Ute
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 19161

            #6
            Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
            That is the tough part about college football. Head to head has little bearing on perception. Part of the reason for this is the home field advantage in some places (like Bronco Stadium and Autzen Stadium) that is overwhelming. I think BSU is better than Oregon but I think the game guaged it pretty accurately. The two teams are very close and whoever is at home would win.
            I don't know that BSU would beat Oregon in the blue turf this late in the season. When they played, it was the first game for both teams and that was the right scenario for Boise to get that win.
            "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


            "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

            Comment

            • SeattleUte
              Faith crisis consultant
              • Nov 2008
              • 20837

              #7
              Oregon would annihilate Boise now, even on the blue rug. NCAA basketball is superior to NCAA football precisely because it regonizes teams are works in progress, they jell, and so on.
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

              --Jonathan Swift

              Comment

              • ERCougar
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 10978

                #8
                Wuap, do we have a "Summon pelagius and Bayes' theorem" pic?
                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                Comment

                • Surfah
                  Where's Wallace?
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 33726

                  #9
                  Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                  Oregon would annihilate Boise now, even on the blue rug. NCAA basketball is superior to NCAA football precisely because it regonizes teams are works in progress, they jell, and so on.
                  I don't know about that.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • dabrockster
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 10951

                    #10
                    Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                    I don't know that BSU would beat Oregon in the blue turf this late in the season. When they played, it was the first game for both teams and that was the right scenario for Boise to get that win.
                    And I would say both teams have improved over that time as well..


                    I dislike this debate because it really rings very BCS'homish in my mind..

                    It is what BCS schools say when trying to place a team above say a TCU or BSU when they have one loss...

                    Comment

                    • il Padrino Ute
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19161

                      #11
                      Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                      And I would say both teams have improved over that time as well..


                      I dislike this debate because it really rings very BCS'homish in my mind..

                      It is what BCS schools say when trying to place a team above say a TCU or BSU when they have one loss...
                      You make a terrific point about BCS schools thinking that a one loss TCU or BSU don't deserve a lofty ranking.

                      I'll agree that BSU has improved since the beginning of the season, but has it improved as much as Oregon has? That, I suppose, is the question.
                      "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                      "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                      Comment

                      • OrangeUte
                        Max Hall hates me.
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 2294

                        #12
                        oregon was breaking in a new coach and had lost many new players. the team has come together since then. the team that beat USC last weekend would beat BSU on the blue turf right now.

                        Comment

                        • redrumu
                          Resident know it all
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 32

                          #13
                          If the game were played today (and yes it would be today, because it would be @Boise and therefore espn would put them in a "primetime" tv spot), Oregon would win walking away. But, they won't play today, or tomorrow, they play next year and Boise already beat them this year so can't take anything away from Boise.

                          This is again where the BCS gets fuzzy. It doesn't allow for teams to become better unless you depend on the human element to do so in the polls. But even if that's the case, who's to say without a doubt that Boise would lose? That's why they play the game... give us a playoff!

                          Comment

                          • dabrockster
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 10951

                            #14
                            Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                            You make a terrific point about BCS schools thinking that a one loss TCU or BSU don't deserve a lofty ranking.

                            I'll agree that BSU has improved since the beginning of the season, but has it improved as much as Oregon has? That, I suppose, is the question.
                            Let me even add more to my distaste for all things BCS and this argument..


                            If you have a TCU and a Boise State team that are undefeated, and a One loss BCS school like Oregon. You can bet that they will use this argument and more then likely put them in even though BSU beat Oregon...

                            Comment

                            • CardiacCoug
                              вот так штука
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 11013

                              #15
                              Originally posted by redrumu View Post
                              If the game were played today (and yes it would be today, because it would be @Boise and therefore espn would put them in a "primetime" tv spot), Oregon would win walking away.
                              How do you know?

                              Sure Oregon would be favored by ten points. But sometimes one team just doesn't match up well with another team. Boise could easily beat Oregon again next week.

                              If people are allowed to just discard the result of a head-to-head matchup when you compare two otherwise undefeated teams then the entire system has become a joke.

                              Assuming Florida and Alabama stay undefeated until the SEC Championship, it would be like keeping Florida ranked ahead of Alabana even if Alabama wins the game. Even if it was the first game of the season, the Oregon-Boise State game still counts. It wasn't an exhibition game.

                              Comment

                              Working...