Finally Some Success For My Football Team

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Shaka
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 10450

    #1

    Finally Some Success For My Football Team

    I posted a few times about the little league football team I coach out in Saratoga Springs. My brother and I took on the job when there weren't any other takers to coach. People thought I was nuts to drive all the way down there from Murray just to coach my nephews team. We ended up picking up a couple other guys to help but I was the only one that had played a significant amount of football.

    The season is now over and everyone had a lot of fun. Unfortunately the season wasn't successful from a win/loss standpoint. I found out after the season that the league has a rule about a player being able to drop down an age division if he weighs ten lbs or more under the X-man 120 lb limit. (If you weigh 120 or over you have to play interior line) The other teams in the league took advantage of this rule while ours did not. We ended up playing against offensive lines that were far larger than ours and a year older. I could see the point if they were letting really small kids play down a division but not guys who are so close to the X-man weight limit. Needless to say I'm going to fight to get this rule changed next year.

    Most of the guys on the team had not played tackle football until this year. They made strides every week and the improvement was noticable. Unfortunately the improvement still wasn't enough to overcome the weird play down rules. We have several players that have potential to be very good players. One of those is my nephew who is the quarterback. While not usually the case our passing game was our best offensive weapon throughout the season. I felt bad for the kid because he was constantly running for his life.

    Anyway I scouted out the PG team the week before we played them and figured that we could probably have success against them with a middle screen. I installed the play in that weeks practice and the kids worked on it like crazy. I'll bet we ran that the thing fifty times that week. This is the first time we ran it in a game:

    [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ah3RvFt3krE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ah3RvFt3krE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

    I was extremely proud of these kids and how hard they worked. This play took away a lot of the season's frustration because the players got to see how hard work pays off. Yes, I know it was a simple screen but trust me when I say that running it didn't come easy for a lot of these kids. The line timed their release perfectly and the QB threw the ball at the last possible moment. Everyone ran down the field to block after the catch. It was magical to see and that was why everyone was freaking out.

    I think it's cool that in spite of the rough season every single kid wants to come back and play next year. I was as close as I get to becoming emotional when all of them expressed to me they want me back as their coach.

    Anyway I just wanted to share this with all of you.
    Last edited by Shaka; 10-20-2009, 10:52 PM.
  • il Padrino Ute
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 19161

    #2
    This is a great post.

    Shaka, you've experienced why coaching little league sports is one of the greatest times you can ever have in your life, because you did it the right way - for the kids, not the wins. And they appreciated the fact that you did it for them.

    You rock.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

    Comment

    • Shaka
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2008
      • 10450

      #3
      Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
      This is a great post.

      Shaka, you've experienced why coaching little league sports is one of the greatest times you can ever have in your life, because you did it the right way - for the kids, not the wins. And they appreciated the fact that you did it for them.

      You rock.
      I coached football, basketball, baseball, and hockey in my twenties and early thirties. I slowed up because I was progressing as a baseball an football official. Also I'm a nevermarried and some parents are uncomfortable with a single guy coaching their kids. (Stupid because I was usually asked by the leagues to step in when none of the dads would step in and coach.) The previous teams I've coached usually won more than they lost but I found this particular team the most rewarding.

      Comment

      • I.J. Reilly
        Nobody's Fool
        • Apr 2009
        • 2949

        #4
        That video cracks me up when you can hear the kid saying, "What the??" and imagining the kid being utterly confused at watching a middle screen play out.

        Comment

        • TripletDaddy
          sweet triple
          • Nov 2008
          • 58186

          #5
          shaka, nice story. very fun.

          We focus on the impact a coach can have on the playing career of the elite athlete. we often lose focus on the fact that the vast majority of participants are not elite athletes....they are kids looking for fun and direction. Sounds like you have made a nice impact on all of them. In other words, you had a winning season. congratulations.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

          sigpic

          Comment

          • Surfah
            Where's Wallace?
            • Nov 2008
            • 33726

            #6
            Awesome Shaka. Are you going to keep coaching? In that area, in a few years you could have a good team. There's no shortage of kids in that area it seems.

            I began my football career on a new pop warner team that got demolished every game. We only scored one touchdown all season. But that was the sweetest feeling ever. The program after a few years became pretty strong and successful and they ended up having to add multiple teams in different age divisions.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

            Comment

            • Hot Lunch
              Out of Office
              • Nov 2008
              • 7842

              #7
              I have to echo what Il Pad said on how you approached the season with your kids.

              Every single little league coaches needs to approach it the same way you have.
              "Take it to the Bank"

              Comment

              • Shaka
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 10450

                #8
                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                Awesome Shaka. Are you going to keep coaching? In that area, in a few years you could have a good team. There's no shortage of kids in that area it seems.

                I began my football career on a new pop warner team that got demolished every game. We only scored one touchdown all season. But that was the sweetest feeling ever. The program after a few years became pretty strong and successful and they ended up having to add multiple teams in different age divisions.
                '

                I will keep coaching while my nephew is in the program and maybe then switch to a league that's closer to Murray. To be honest give me two or three legit linemen to round out the roster and I'd love to take that same team. A few of the players, including my nephew, have developed into A-team prospects and will probably move up. The problem is there are already coaches who have a stranglehold on the A-team and there might not be room for me.

                Comment

                • Coach McGuirk
                  1
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 12109

                  #9
                  just awesome Shaka.

                  Comment

                  Working...