Anyone watching WWC Soccer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    Could be. I don't know. I know a lot of about the US men's team, know most of their starting players, have watched maybe 6-8 matches over the past four years (none in World Cup, obviously). I don't know any of the women's players and have only watched parts of a couple games during that period.
    I don't follow soccer at all. I don't know that I could name any player on either team. I can't think of any men's player past or present. Hope Solo is the only name that comes to mind for either team.

Anyways, I'm sure there are lots of girls with a similar experience to yours but in reverse.

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
      I don't follow soccer at all. I don't know that I could name any player on either team. I can't think of any men's player past or present. Hope Solo is the only name that comes to mind for either team.

Anyways, I'm sure there are lots of girls with a similar experience to yours but in reverse.
      Could be.

Comment

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-wom...es-11560765600
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

I'm totally fine paying the women more than the men if the revenues produced dictate that. Pay them 10X more if that's what the numbers suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            I'm totally fine paying the women more than the men if the revenues produced dictate that. Pay them 10X more if that's what the numbers suggest.
            I agree with that. Right now I am not sure the numbers justify the amount of the current gap. Obviously I am not 100% sure because I have not seen the numbers or done the analysis.

Comment

Thoughts on WWC this year:

1. The US team is by far the most talented. But they could flame out at any time now. I'm starting to think Hope Solo's criticism of Ellis is valid. She showed no imagination against Spain and kept three subs in her pocket until the last minutes even though we were stagnant and needed a spark. If you really have the most talented bench in the world you should know how to use them when you are in a tight battle. If we dont get that questionable second penalty, who knows how the game ends.

2. There is nothing more boring to me than a feud between an self-important athlete and our moron president. Please shut up, both of you.

3. Like the overall gender pay "gap" in America, the pay discrepancy in US soccer is much more complex than activists will acknowledge. They might be justified in making more, and issues like the womens team previously flying commercial while the men flew charter were ridiculous (I believe a lot of those more minor comfort issues have been addressed and equalized to a certain degree). However, the women making the more than the men is not justifiable at this point.

4. VAR is a complete cluster f***. It is a good idea in principle to have it available to correct obvious and egregious errors like incorrectly awarded penalties. However, they are worse than college football replay with how they overuse it. If they cant come up with some better guidelines on when it should be used the whole system should be scrapped. Just use goal line technology to verify all goals. It's non-subjective and rules out major errors on scoring plays. I can live with the ambiguity of referee penalty decisions if the current VAR is the only alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                Thoughts on WWC this year:

1. The US team is by far the most talented. But they could flame out at any time now. I'm starting to think Hope Solo's criticism of Ellis is valid. She showed no imagination against Spain and kept three subs in her pocket until the last minutes even though we were stagnant and needed a spark. If you really have the most talented bench in the world you should know how to use them when you are in a tight battle. If we dont get that questionable second penalty, who knows how the game ends.

2. There is nothing more boring to me than a feud between an self-important athlete and our moron president. Please shut up, both of you.

3. Like the overall gender pay "gap" in America, the pay discrepancy in US soccer is much more complex than activists will acknowledge. They might be justified in making more, and issues like the womens team previously flying commercial while the men flew charter were ridiculous (I believe a lot of those more minor comfort issues have been addressed and equalized to a certain degree). However, the women making the more than the men is not justifiable at this point.

4. VAR is a complete cluster f***. It is a good idea in principle to have it available to correct obvious and egregious errors like incorrectly awarded penalties. However, they are worse than college football replay with how they overuse it. If they cant come up with some better guidelines on when it should be used the whole system should be scrapped. Just use goal line technology to verify all goals. It's non-subjective and rules out major errors on scoring plays. I can live with the ambiguity of referee penalty decisions if the current VAR is the only alternative.
                Most frustrating thing about VAR for me watching it in Champions League, not so much yet in the WWC, is the offsides. I think the same concept was played out at WWC with goalie encroachment, but I didn't see enough to know if it's the same issue. But with offsides, I think there's leniency built in to the system, but with VAR, you have to be totally literal and black and white with no leniency. If there's a leaning shoulder or it's so close you have to measure with a ruler, and it's not called live, don't overturn it.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  She was saved by US soccer requiring players to stand during the anthem. Prior to that, she knelt, which offended many black leaders as she was appropriating a black focused protest for her own benefit.
                  I'm pretty sure she was kneeling in support of the Black Lives Matter movement.

Comment

Great game by the ladies this afternoon. Tons of pressure by the French in the second half, with a number of good looks on goal. Incredible pass by Alex Morgan for the game winner.

Megan Rapinoe is from my hometown. She is a hero among the soccer community here, as she is always so kind and gracious with her time when she comes home to visit family. She has come to my kid's school a couple of times in the past to give speeches and run clinics, and has always been really good with the kids.

However, this is one of the reddest (redneck-est???) counties in all of California, so among the majority of the rest of the community she is persona non grata for her politics.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                      Great game by the ladies this afternoon. Tons of pressure by the French in the second half, with a number of good looks on goal. Incredible pass by Alex Morgan for the game winner.

Megan Rapinoe is from my hometown. She is a hero among the soccer community here, as she is always so kind and gracious with her time when she comes home to visit family. She has come to my kid's school a couple of times in the past to give speeches and run clinics, and has always been really good with the kids.

However, this is one of the reddest (redneck-est???) counties in all of California, so among the majority of the rest of the community she is persona non grata for her politics.
                      Rapino is awesome. Haters can SAD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                        Rapino is awesome. Haters can SAD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Seriously. Or l a v if that's your pref.

Comment

Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
                          Seriously. Or l a v if that's your pref.
                          definitely my personal preference

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                            definitely my personal preference
                            And Rapinoe's.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              And Rapinoe's.
                              And Sue Bird's.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

They played better against France, but not good enough. They dodged a bullet again with a no call on Rose's hand ball in the box (but that is probably offset by wiping off Heath's goal on an offside call that was close enough it should have stood). But England will knock them off if someone besides Rapinoe doesnt start getting some shots.
                                Last edited by Omaha 680; 06-30-2019, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X