The Blazers offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Blazers offseason

Should be a fun offseason for the Blazers this year. It will be the last time in the next 5-6 years that the Blazers will have any cap space.

Blazers need to get a veteran PG to provide leadership or help at the SF position. Not sure that anyone at the SF position that is in the Blazers price range is worth it.

2 options that the Blazers are looking at are Kirk Hinrich and Andre Miller. Selfishly, I wanted Dre on the team, but Heinrich is obviously the better player. Word is the Bulls want to dump Heinrich and just want cap relief, which the Blazers can provide. I doubt that there is much turnover on the roster and mainly it will just involve adding one more player to the roster.

Another long shot guy is making a run at Ramon Sessions. This is a longshot because the salary structure of the NBA makes it highly unlikely that the Bucks won't match an offer for him.

Starting lineup next year:

PG - Andre Miller or Kirk Hinrich
    SG - Brandon Roy
    SF - Nic Batum
    PF - LaMarcus Aldridge
    C - Greg Oden

Top bench players: Joel Pryzbilla, Rudy Fernandez, and Travis Outlaw.

Both Dre and Hinrich are improvements over Steve Blake at the PG. It is also time for the team to move on to Jerryd Bayless as the primary backup at PG, which means Steve Blake needs to go.

Also, with the depressed economy of the NBA and teams wanting to fill the 10-12 spots on the rosters with cheap players, the Blazers 3 2nd round picks have more value than usual. Also, Blake and Outlaw have non-guaranteed contracts right now. Blazers can trade them and the team taking them on can outright renounce them for cap space. Draft day will again be very interesting for the Blazers.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

but Heinrich is obviously the better player.
    You really think so? Hinrich has really fallen off the last couple of seasons, and Andre has had something of a revival in Philly. 21 points and 6 assists in the playoffs isn't too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
      You really think so? Hinrich has really fallen off the last couple of seasons, and Andre has had something of a revival in Philly. 21 points and 6 assists in the playoffs isn't too bad.
      Hinrich is probably a better fit with Portland than Miller. Hinrich is 5 years younger, a better defender, and probably a better shooter. Miller is a better PG, but with Portland having Brandon Roy who is almost like a PG anyways, you don't need a guy like Miller to dominate the ball.

Comment

The Columbian reports today that Jerryd Bayless is going to be the Blazer's PG and that he and Oden are working out together this summer in AZ to develop better chemistry.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
          Hinrich is probably a better fit with Portland than Miller. Hinrich is 5 years younger, a better defender, and probably a better shooter. Miller is a better PG, but with Portland having Brandon Roy who is almost like a PG anyways, you don't need a guy like Miller to dominate the ball.
          Exactly, as much as I love Dre he dribbles the ball a little too much to be a great fit for the Blazers. Hinrich will do a better job bringing the ball up, setting the offense, and getting the ball to Roy. He also is a better shooter and will open up more space for Roy. On the other hand, with Miller and Roy the Blazers would have one of the best PGs at posting up and one of the best SGs at posting up. Since the Blazers don't have an interior presence at the PF or C, that could help some. Post up Dre of Roy and let LA float around the perimeters for jumpers. It isn't ideal, but when you a SG in a PF body you work with what you can.
          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
            Hinrich has never had more than 6.8 assists per game in five years, and never shot better than 44% from the field. His career FG% is 41.5%. I thought he had a lot of promise early on, but by now, I'm convinced he is what he is. It's possible he might pick it up on a new team like Portland, but I doubt it.

Comment

What's the plan with Oden? I thought I read somewhere that he is going to undergo some rigorous training this summer?

I think the Western Conference is going to be brutal again next season. Even with the alleged "demise" of the Spurs, you have a lot of teams that will make noise at the top: Lakers, Denver, Houston, Portland, Utah and to a lesser extent, New Orleans (still not sold on them) San Antonio and Dallas.

Sacto, OKC, Minnesota, Golden State, Memphis and Clippers will be awful.

I have no idea what the Suns will look like in October.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                I have no idea what the Suns will look like in October.
                Aside from getting sued for sexual harrassment, Steve Kerr has done his best GM imitation of Isaiah Thomas than any GM in the league....he has destroyed that franchise.

Comment

Sheridan on the Blazers use of cap space.

"Because Darius Miles went back on the Blazers' books for $9 million midway through the 2009-10 season, their cap space for the upcoming season has shrunk to somewhere around $7-9 million, depending on whether they renounce their rights to overseas players Petteri Koponen and Joel Freeland.

Some sources, while cautioning against Portland's proclivity for subterfuge, are saying the Blazers covet a point guard upgrade from Steve Blake more than they covet a small forward upgrade from Nicolas Batum. If that's the case, they might decide to swing an uneven trade, salary-wise, in which they use their cap space to bring in a top-tier point guard rather than Turkoglu or another small forward. "
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                    Sheridan on the Blazers use of cap space.

"Because Darius Miles went back on the Blazers' books for $9 million midway through the 2009-10 season, their cap space for the upcoming season has shrunk to somewhere around $7-9 million, depending on whether they renounce their rights to overseas players Petteri Koponen and Joel Freeland.

Some sources, while cautioning against Portland's proclivity for subterfuge, are saying the Blazers covet a point guard upgrade from Steve Blake more than they covet a small forward upgrade from Nicolas Batum. If that's the case, they might decide to swing an uneven trade, salary-wise, in which they use their cap space to bring in a top-tier point guard rather than Turkoglu or another small forward. "
                    Which "top-tier" PGs are on the block? Paul? No. Williams? No. Parker? No. Rose? No. Looks like they'll have to settle for a second-tier guy, and probably have to overpay to get him.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      Which "top-tier" PGs are on the block? Paul? No. Williams? No. Parker? No. Rose? No. Looks like they'll have to settle for a second-tier guy, and probably have to overpay to get him.
                      Why would the Blazers have to overpay to get a second tier PG? Blazers could easily get Andre Miller for the MLE.
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Why would the Blazers have to overpay to get a second tier PG? Blazers could easily get Andre Miller for the MLE.
                        Based on the "top tier" language in the quote, I didn't know they would be willing to tip into the third tier. That said, third tier is at least a 2-tier upgrade from Steve Blake, so that's a good thing.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Based on the "top tier" language in the quote, I didn't know they would be willing to tip into the third tier. That said, third tier is at least a 2-tier upgrade from Steve Blake, so that's a good thing.
                          Andre Miller is not 3rd tier. His rank among PGs
                          2nd in points
                          4th FG percentage
                          12th in assists
                          5th in rebounds
                          8th in steals

I think that pretty firmly establishes him in the 2nd tier.

I've never quite understood your hatred of Steve Blake. He isn't a great player, but he isn't nearly as bad as you claim. I found it hilarious when you said that he is worse than Fisher, despite the fact, that he is better across the board in pretty much every stat.
                          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Andre Miller is not 3rd tier. His rank among PGs
                            2nd in points
                            4th FG percentage
                            12th in assists
                            5th in rebounds
                            8th in steals

I think that pretty firmly establishes him in the 2nd tier.

I've never quite understood your hatred of Steve Blake. He isn't a great player, but he isn't nearly as bad as you claim. I found it hilarious when you said that he is worse than Fisher, despite the fact, that he is better across the board in pretty much every stat.
                            Where are you getting your numbers? There were 11 guys who averaged more ppg than Miller at the PG position last year.

Comment

Where are you getting your numbers? There were 11 guys who averaged more ppg than Miller at the PG position last year.
                              Sorry, it was his playoff stats for 2nd in ppg last year. He was actually 9th in the league in ppg last year and 7th in FG%. The rest of the numbers are correct.
                              http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statis...ntype=2&pos=pg
                              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                              X