Super Bowl XLIX thread.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Green Monstah
    Royal Rooter
    • Aug 2010
    • 13970

    #91
    Bandwagon arguments (and I've made plenty myself) are made out of spite and for no other reason. It bothers me when somone becomes a fan of a particular team during a successful run too, but should it? Probably not.

    I suppose I'm a bandwagon Sox fan because I started to follow them closely during the 1988 season, the second half of which they went on a tear and won the AL East (before being manhandled by the As in the ALCS). Or maybe it's because 1988 was my first year of little league and I lived in New England.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

    Comment

    • TripletDaddy
      sweet triple
      • Nov 2008
      • 58186

      #92
      I noticed that there was a random wolf that I guess precluded the dog from running and then horses unbelievably came to the puppy's rescue in classic deus ex machina fashion, something that really doesn't make a ton of sense at all. I also noticed that it had nothing to do with beer, drinking beer, or beer culture.

      Unsurprisingly, you missed the real issue with the Nissan commercial. The dad is a race car (palindrome!) driver that competes in and wins races that are important enough to be televised nationally (possibly internationally). He would be sponsored and would be making enough money to not be driving a crappy Nissan. That was my whole takeaway from that ad.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

      sigpic

      Comment

      • Uncle Ted
        The Big 12 money shot.
        • Apr 2010
        • 28853

        #93
        Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
        Frankly, I don't either. The post game thread on reddit is about 99% "WTF? Fire Bevell now goaddmmit!" (when I stopped reading it last night anyway). After a tough night's sleep, I'm fairly resigned now (not sure what stage that puts me in).

        I read last night that no team in Super Bowl history has come back from a double digit deficit in the 4th quarter. I can't find that now, but will continue to look. But if true and if Kearse doesn't make that crazy catch to setup the goal line play and it tumbles to the ground instead, what are we talking about this morning? We are talking about how magnificent Brady was in the 4th quarter and how the Seattle D couldn't protect a 10-point lead.


        EDIT: Not the one I read last night, but whatevs...

        Patriots had biggest second-half comeback in Super Bowl history











        Yeah, they should fire both Bevell and Caroll for letting Wilson throw the ball on the 1 yard line to that no-name, Pats rookie. If crap like that happened around here there would be rioting going on outside of Jerry's house until he came out with the coach's head on a platter.

        It kind of like when the Hawks came back and beat the Packers in the playoffs... except Greenbay pissed away a 12-point lead and couldn't even cover a simple onside kick.

        Other than that it was definitely the most entertaining SuperBowl I can remember in recent history.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69735

          #94
          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          I noticed that there was a random wolf that I guess precluded the dog from running and then horses unbelievably came to the puppy's rescue in classic deus ex machina fashion, something that really doesn't make a ton of sense at all. I also noticed that it had nothing to do with beer, drinking beer, or beer culture.
          I have been trying to think of ways they could have made that ad any more sappy or shamelessly manipulative, but I am coming up blank. Maybe use unicorns instead of horses?
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • Northwestcoug
            Cocked and Loaded
            • May 2011
            • 18033

            #95
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            I have been trying to think of ways they could have made that ad any more sappy or shamelessly manipulative, but I am coming up blank. Maybe use unicorns instead of horses?
            Maybe they were going for the teenage girl demographic. Because my daughter's friend had wet eyes after that commercial.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69735

              #96
              Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
              Bandwagon arguments (and I've made plenty myself) are made out of spite and for no other reason. It bothers me when somone becomes a fan of a particular team during a successful run too, but should it? Probably not.
              That's a bingo.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • Pelado
                Bald not naked
                • Sep 2010
                • 21148

                #97
                Originally posted by All-American View Post
                Hey, BYU features in the super bowl after all!
                Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                Frankly, I don't either. The post game thread on reddit is about 99% "WTF? Fire Bevell now goaddmmit!" (when I stopped reading it last night anyway). After a tough night's sleep, I'm fairly resigned now (not sure what stage that puts me in).

                I read last night that no team in Super Bowl history has come back from a double digit deficit in the 4th quarter. I can't find that now, but will continue to look. But if true and if Kearse doesn't make that crazy catch to setup the goal line play and it tumbles to the ground instead, what are we talking about this morning? We are talking about how magnificent Brady was in the 4th quarter and how the Seattle D couldn't protect a 10-point lead.


                EDIT: Not the one I read last night, but whatevs...

                Patriots had biggest second-half comeback in Super Bowl history
                They showed a graphic during the game, too. My recollection was that the largest deficit overcome had been 7 points, which surprised me.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69735

                  #98
                  Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                  Hey, I hope I'm not speaking out of place... but I am aware that you recently had a family member move up to the Seattle area. (Feel free to delete this post if you wish.) I would be curious to know a bit about that family member's experience moving from an area not in an NFL market to one where an NFL team at the current time is at its historical apex of interest and success.
                  That's an excellent question. He was not much of a sports fan growing up (casual at best). Since moving to Seattle he has become a Seahawks fan and has been sending us hats, shirts, etc. He is having fun with it, but he is still a fairly casual fan. Part of his motivation is to piss off one of his close friends who grew up in the Bay area and is a rabid Niners fan.

                  He loves Seattle, by the way. He is very happy there.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • Paperback Writer
                    Signature won a Pulitzer
                    • Nov 2010
                    • 5211

                    #99
                    Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                    I suppose I'm a bandwagon Sox fan because I started to follow them closely during the 1988 season, the second half of which they went on a tear and won the AL East (before being manhandled by the As in the ALCS). Or maybe it's because 1988 was my first year of little league and I lived in New England.
                    You are not a bandwagon Sox fan and that 1988 Red Sox team was awesome. My favorite player - Dwight Evans was still productive and playing RF, Greenwell was MVP runner-up, a young Ellis Burks was predicted to become the next Fred Lynn in CF, and Marty Barrett, who was friendly to the missionaries, had a very good season. And then there was our own Mormon guy in Bruce Hurst having a good year. Boggs was winning another batting crown and Rocket was once again excellent. I became a Red Sox fan while playing little league more than a decade before you and I didn't live in New England until I served a mission.
                    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

                    Comment

                    • TripletDaddy
                      sweet triple
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 58186

                      #100
                      wait you are a Red sox fan, too? lol.

                      we need to update that red sox discussion.

                      who was the guy that started liking the red sox because he claimed to see a fireworks show on TV?
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • Uncle Ted
                        The Big 12 money shot.
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 28853

                        #101
                        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        if they wanted to have at least one pass situation to kill the clock without burning a timeout, why not roll out (you have the most mobile QB in the league) or throw to the edge like Brady did earlier? Brady tried the same pass on the same route twice....once the ball was overthrown and the second time it was a TD, but both times it was a safe pass, very low probability of a turnover. Throwing on a slant route into a very crowded area like that...yikes.

                        Actually, from Wilson's perspective it may have looked like a safe bet...

                        grab-2015-02-01-22h01m34s214.jpg

                        Lockette was breaking into the open but Butler read it and made the game saving play... Not bad for the no-name, undrafted rookie.




                        Paul Allen summed it up best... WTF:

                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • Paperback Writer
                          Signature won a Pulitzer
                          • Nov 2010
                          • 5211

                          #102
                          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          wait you are a Red sox fan, too? lol.

                          we need to update that red sox discussion.

                          who was the guy that started liking the red sox because he claimed to see a fireworks show on TV?
                          If I remember correctly, I provided my update in that Red Sox discussion. You told me to enjoy my Red Sox championship gear after the 2013 season even though I'd been a fan for 40 years.
                          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

                          Comment

                          • TripletDaddy
                            sweet triple
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 58186

                            #103
                            that paul allen gif was after the catch, not that turnover.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • Donuthole
                              Official Outgayer
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 25271

                              #104
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              that paul allen gif was after the catch, not that turnover.
                              Correct.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                              There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                              Comment

                              • Applejack
                                Senior Member
                                • Aug 2012
                                • 3813

                                #105
                                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Bandwagon argument cracks me up. People tend to cheer for successful teams? Boohoo.
                                I can understand how the leader of a BYU board filled with Red Sox, Seahawks, USC, Oregon, and Spurs would not be surprised by bandwagoning.

                                Comment

                                Working...