Do you like playing with this guy?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • FN Phat
    I ♥ gateway sex
    • Feb 2009
    • 8691

    #16
    Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    I don't take it too seriously. But I like to win. If I play, I play to win. If it's a team out there with no basketball skills, playing for fun and the experience, I abstain. If you think I am a dick at basketball, you should see me on a volleyball court.
    I can testify of the truthfulness of this statement. I have seen Surfah make both of his sisters, his mom*, his younger brother, and a lady that was a stranger cry on the volleyball court. All of which made me laugh.

    So who is the bigger dick? The guy that has the skills to back it up or the guy that is only one the team by default family membership?

    As far as pickup basketball goes, if you would be offended by some trash talk and some good spirited ribbing, stick to the hoop in your driveway. Part of the fun of playing is to let your hair down and talk some shiz to your buddies. Maybe that is just me, or most of my buddies, but that is the way that I like to play ball.

    *EDIT: Maybe his mom didn't cry, but she did threaten to move out of the state and move in with her sister.
    Last edited by FN Phat; 05-19-2009, 10:10 AM. Reason: Clarification
    I'm your huckleberry.


    "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

    Comment

    • JohnnyLingo
      La Naranja
      • Nov 2008
      • 3976

      #17
      Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that one of the major reasons Surfah and DDD "like" Kobe is that he happens to be the best player on their favorite team. And since he has been in LA, the Lakers have been pretty damn good.

      I know it's bold, but my guess is that it has nothing to do with they way they play pickup ball.
      Of course. But people who hate Assertive Guy are less likely to be huge supporters of The Black Mamba, even if they are Laker fans.

      I don't take it too seriously. But I like to win. If I play, I play to win. If it's a team out there with no basketball skills, playing for fun and the experience, I abstain. If you think I am a dick at basketball, you should see me on a volleyball court.
      Well, sure, I play to win, too. But if I make a shot I don't feel the need to draw attention to myself. When a teammate airballs his third 3-pointer of the night I don't attack him. It annoys me, but it's not worth killing someone. Playing to win doesn't mean you freak out at everything.

      Skill level really has nothing to do with it. I've played with guys who were the best player on the court every week but never said a word other than "switch" or "stay." I love playing with that kind of guy.

      Comment

      • FN Phat
        I ♥ gateway sex
        • Feb 2009
        • 8691

        #18
        Of 3 of the 5 people that answered "no" to the poll, one is a soccermom, the other two are IJR and JLingo. Speaks volumes.
        I'm your huckleberry.


        "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

        Comment

        • JohnnyLingo
          La Naranja
          • Nov 2008
          • 3976

          #19
          Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
          As far as pickup basketball goes, if you would be offended by some trash talk and some good spirited ribbing, stick to the hoop in your driveway. Part of the fun of playing is to let your hair down and talk some shiz to your buddies. Maybe that is just me, or most of my buddies, but that is the way that I like to play ball.
          There's a big difference between good-spirited ribbing and smack talk among friends and mouthing off at everyone, regardless of whether you're friends with them or not. I'm talking about the latter, and everyone can tell the difference.

          Comment

          • TripletDaddy
            sweet triple
            • Nov 2008
            • 58186

            #20
            Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
            I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that one of the major reasons Surfah and DDD "like" Kobe is that he happens to be the best player on their favorite team. And since he has been in LA, the Lakers have been pretty damn good.

            I know it's bold, but my guess is that it has nothing to do with they way they play pickup ball.
            quit your trolling!
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • TripletDaddy
              sweet triple
              • Nov 2008
              • 58186

              #21
              Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
              Skill level really has nothing to do with it. I've played with guys who were the best player on the court every week but never said a word other than "switch" or "stay." I love playing with that kind of guy.
              I think you misunderstood.

              These skilled players were telling you to switch sides and stay over there. You were likely hurting the team.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                Time to camp
                • Nov 2008
                • 26082

                #22
                I don't care about that guy. I play hard and try to win, but I don't care one way or another if "that guy" is on my team or playing against me.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

                Comment

                • il Padrino Ute
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19161

                  #23
                  Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                  The discussion Kobe and his mannerisms while playing got me thinking. His attitude bothers me (and others) a lot, while apparently people like Surfah and a friend of mine who also likes Kobe are fine with everything The Black Mamba does, in part at least because they act the same way on the court.

                  So here's the question:

                  We've all played with Aggressive Guy in pickup basketball. You know, the guy who is better than everyone else and needs to make sure you know it. He yells at teammates when they give up a layup and screams "you can't guard me!!!!" when he hits a contested shot. He glares at everyone, and is constantly talking smack to the other team. And heaven help us all if he makes a game-winning shot... this guy will strut around with his arm in follow-through position for a good five minutes afterwards and a look on his face like he can smell his own BO.

                  Do you like playing with this guy?
                  This is the guy that I like playing against, because while he may score a bunch on me, he's going to need a bunch of ice packs after I've physically kicked his ass the entire game.
                  "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                  "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                  Comment

                  • Sizzle
                    #ThisIsY
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 9004

                    #24
                    Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                    This is the guy that I like playing against, because while he may score a bunch on me, he's going to need a bunch of ice packs after I've physically kicked his ass the entire game.
                    That and nothing gives more satisfaction that beating him on the court.

                    Comment

                    • il Padrino Ute
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19161

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                      That and nothing gives more satisfaction that beating him on the court.
                      By beating him on the court, do you mean outscoring?

                      My favorite thing to do in basketball is play defense. Scoring a basket here and there is just gravy. I'd rather try to get in the mind of some loud-mouth who thinks he has an offensive game by getting in his face, commit a few hard fouls and generally dog him everywhere he goes.
                      "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                      "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                      Comment

                      • JohnnyLingo
                        La Naranja
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 3976

                        #26
                        Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                        This is the guy that I like playing against, because while he may score a bunch on me, he's going to need a bunch of ice packs after I've physically kicked his ass the entire game.
                        Okay, but what if the question is specifically, "Do you like playing with this guy when he's on your team?"

                        Comment

                        • il Padrino Ute
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 19161

                          #27
                          Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                          Okay, but what if the question is specifically, "Do you like playing with this guy when he's on your team?"
                          If he's on my team? No, I don't like it. But it does give me the chance to never pass him the ball when I get a rebound.
                          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                          Comment

                          • Sizzle
                            #ThisIsY
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 9004

                            #28
                            Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                            By beating him on the court, do you mean outscoring?

                            My favorite thing to do in basketball is play defense. Scoring a basket here and there is just gravy. I'd rather try to get in the mind of some loud-mouth who thinks he has an offensive game by getting in his face, commit a few hard fouls and generally dog him everywhere he goes.
                            I mean my team wins the game, and his team loses. In the end isn't that all that matters?

                            Comment

                            • il Padrino Ute
                              Junior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19161

                              #29
                              Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                              I mean my team wins the game, and his team loses. In the end isn't that all that matters?
                              Excellent point. The W is all that matters.
                              "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                              "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                              Comment

                              • Flystripper
                                Degenerate Gambler
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 14089

                                #30
                                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                                I don't take it too seriously. But I like to win. If I play, I play to win. If it's a team out there with no basketball skills, playing for fun and the experience, I abstain. If you think I am a dick at basketball, you should see me on a volleyball court.
                                I agree with this. I am a very good basketball player (if I do say so myself). Much like Kobe I don't talk trash unless the person guarding me is:

                                1. Annoying as crap and playing defense in a dangerous way...ie face guarding (battier) undercutting jump shots (bowen) etc etc

                                2. They talk trash first...ie (Artest)

                                3. They are my buddies.

                                If any of the above criteria are met, I can talk some serious crap and a full array of facial expressions are bound to accompany my words.
                                Dyslexics are teople poo...

                                Comment

                                Working...