US Soccer

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jay santos
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 13652

    #286
    My unpopular opinion: soccer coaching is the most overrated aspect of all professional sports. Especially a national team coach. It just doesn't matter that much.

    Comment

    • SteelBlue
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 8189

      #287
      Originally posted by jay santos View Post
      My unpopular opinion: soccer coaching is the most overrated aspect of all professional sports. Especially a national team coach. It just doesn't matter that much.
      My gut feeling is that you're mostly correct. I base this on the number of former players who succeed immediately even at the highest levels. You don't see that in any other sport in the same kind of numbers. I do think guys off the Cruyff coaching tree are exceptional though.

      Comment

      • BigFatMeanie
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 7117

        #288
        So, if chanting anti-gay things is enough to end a match, what’s to stop fans from a team with the lead from chanting and ending the game instead of risking a late-tying goal?

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69719

          #289
          Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
          So, if chanting anti-gay things is enough to end a match, what’s to stop fans from a team with the lead from chanting and ending the game instead of risking a late-tying goal?
          That’s not how it works.

          Mexico has been doing this for years. They have gotten fines, threats, and have been forced to play without fans. Mexican futbol federation runs ads on Mexican tv begging people to stop. And they keep doing it.
          Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 06-17-2023, 10:55 PM.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • Pelado
            Bald not naked
            • Sep 2010
            • 21143

            #290
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

            That’s not how it works.

            Mexico has been doing this for years. They have gotten fines, threats, and have been forced to play without fans. Mexican futbol federation runs ads on Mexican tv begging people to stop. And they keep doing it.
            Like DeSantis, they refuse to be silenced by the woke mob.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

            Comment

            • Non Sequitur
              Where did I put my bodkin
              • Nov 2008
              • 5773

              #291
              Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
              So, if chanting anti-gay things is enough to end a match, what’s to stop fans from a team with the lead from chanting and ending the game instead of risking a late-tying goal?
              I'm not convinced that your concerns are rooted in late game crowd strategy as much as they are in the legitimacy of the group being targeted by the chants. Color me skeptical.
              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69719

                #292
                Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

                I'm not convinced that your concerns are rooted in late game crowd strategy as much as they are in the legitimacy of the group being targeted by the chants. Color me skeptical.
                Lol. Stop.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • Omaha 680
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2011
                  • 11182

                  #293
                  The excitement about Copa America is palpable, particularly on this fair message board! What a disaster last night. Breaks did not go our way. The collision with Turner should have been a red card. that would have flipped the game because we would have been playing a man up and Weah probably doesn't lose his mind a few minutes later and get sent off making us play down a man most of the game. but it was freaking Panama so no excuses. With a team this good we should beat them down a man even. But an absolutely boneheaded red card by Weah which probably cost us qualification which should cost Berhalter his job. So maybe it's a good thing in the end. I am generally a homer for my coaches and I wanted Berhalter to succeed but after barely meeting expectations at the WC, he has seemed to continue to do less with more.

                  I texted my brother last night that maybe we could make this soap opera go full circle and hire Claudio Reyna.

                  Comment

                  • falafel
                    loves to talk on things
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 37988

                    #294
                    Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                    The excitement about Copa America is palpable, particularly on this fair message board! What a disaster last night. Breaks did not go our way. The collision with Turner should have been a red card. that would have flipped the game because we would have been playing a man up and Weah probably doesn't lose his mind a few minutes later and get sent off making us play down a man most of the game. but it was freaking Panama so no excuses. With a team this good we should beat them down a man even. But an absolutely boneheaded red card by Weah which probably cost us qualification which should cost Berhalter his job. So maybe it's a good thing in the end. I am generally a homer for my coaches and I wanted Berhalter to succeed but after barely meeting expectations at the WC, he has seemed to continue to do less with more.

                    I texted my brother last night that maybe we could make this soap opera go full circle and hire Claudio Reyna.
                    It was brutal. The non-call on the Turner collision was mind-bottling. No chance at a play on the ball, exposed and defenseless goalie. That is not a close call. Unforgiveable.

                    But not as unforgiveable as Weah's sucker punch. There is absolutely no excuse for that on an AYSO team, let alone the pinnacle of American soccer. I don't know enough about Weah's history to know if the weight of his dumbass move should fall on Berhalter or Weah, but I'd fine or suspend or kick Weah in the nuts or something.

                    And the game started out so well.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                    Dig your own grave, and save!

                    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • SteelBlue
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 8189

                      #295
                      Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                      The excitement about Copa America is palpable, particularly on this fair message board!
                      I mean, historically the USMNT haven't exactly rewarded palpable excitement. My son was telling me that rooting for the US feels eerily similar to rooting for independence era BYU. I feel that. They can pull off some big wins but they can also lose to the soccer equivalent of UMASS.

                      Losing to Panama in the way it was done just took all the air out for me. No excuse for the boneheaded red and not getting out of this weak ass group is going to be embarrassing and such a waste of a loaded squad. Maybe we find a way to beat Uruguay?

                      Comment

                      • Moliere
                        One man.....one pie
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 27886

                        #296
                        Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post

                        I mean, historically the USMNT haven't exactly rewarded palpable excitement. My son was telling me that rooting for the US feels eerily similar to rooting for independence era BYU. I feel that. They can pull off some big wins but they can also lose to the soccer equivalent of UMASS.

                        Losing to Panama in the way it was done just took all the air out for me. No excuse for the boneheaded red and not getting out of this weak ass group is going to be embarrassing and such a waste of a loaded squad. Maybe we find a way to beat Uruguay?
                        Ha! The comparison to independence BYU is spot on.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                        Comment

                        • falafel
                          loves to talk on things
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 37988

                          #297
                          Bolivia has tied it up with Panama. U.S. and Uruguay at a tie currently. If it remains this way in both games, U.S. advances.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                          Dig your own grave, and save!

                          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • falafel
                            loves to talk on things
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 37988

                            #298
                            And just like that, Uruguay scores to go up 1-0.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                            Dig your own grave, and save!

                            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • Omaha 680
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2011
                              • 11182

                              #299
                              Well, it was fun Gregg. Let's see if we can get someone else to not completely waste this generation of talent.

                              Comment

                              • BlueK
                                Senior Member
                                • May 2011
                                • 7193

                                #300
                                An awful lot of complaining by the announcers about the ref which wasn't completely off base, however the most salient point was when they said they were 83 minutes into it and the US had only taken 3 shots. That wasn't the ref. You can't win that way and Uruguay is good, right now definitely one of the favorites to win the tournament. The US threw this away by playing badly vs Panama, a team they know well and should beat at home.

                                Comment

                                Working...