Rugby World Cup 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wally View Post
    On a final note, I watched the Final as broadcast on NBC and while I know that they went with american announcers and play-by-play because of their lack of an accent and for the purpose of educating viewers on the rules of the game, the broadcast really sucked. They should have cut down the 45 minutes of pregame to 35 and included a brief rugby tutorial and then expanded the play time 10 minutes (it was tape delayed) cutting into the game on occasion to explain and reiterate rules. The play-by-play was comical at best, with commentary like "France really needs to play hard right now" and "that french guy with the sideburns looks like wolverine from x-men." They were also announcing action that had happened like 5 seconds earlier (this isn't radio guys). Personally, I would've rather heard the New Zealand voices.
    Yeah, the announcers were horrible. Get the local guys who had been calling the games throughout the tournament. I don't think the play by play guy had ever watched rugby before. I would have loved to hear Justin Marshall or Grant Fox doing the color commentary.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
      Yeah, the announcers were horrible. Get the local guys who had been calling the games throughout the tournament. I don't think the play by play guy had ever watched rugby before. I would have loved to hear Justin Marshall or Grant Fox doing the color commentary.
      Agreed.

Originally posted by hostile
      Good on ya, Kiwis. Next WC is in London. I am going to try and make that trip.
      Hmmmmm....... you have the wheels in my head turning now.........4 years to save up.....hmmmmm...

Comment

Hmmmmm....... you have the wheels in my head turning now.........4 years to save up.....hmmmmm...
        When they announced that the next WC would be in London my wife said we should try and go. London is a relatively easy flight. Our kids will be old enough to appreciate the travel and four years should be long enough to save some money. I am going to try and make it work.
        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Watched it last night. This one was close but I loved every minute of it.. NZ did not look like the NZ I watched earlier.. They seemed nervous and it showed in their play. France looked more energized..

That hit on #10 for France was brutal. It looked like he could of easily broke his cheekbone.. And the knee never connected. It was just the guys hand..

As I have said before. I wished I had this in my HS. I would of LOVED to have played...

Comment

Pics from the championship match:

Comment

Good for Stephen Donald. When the tournament started he fishing and drinking beer on the back of a boat. Now he's drinking champagne out of the Webb Ellis cup after slotting the game winning kick.

EDIT:On closer inspection that looks like Andrew Hore
              Last edited by hostile; 10-24-2011, 04:02 PM.

Comment

It was pretty interesting to watch France's reaction to the Haka. They obviously were trying to make a statement and advanced across the 50m line. Look's like it will cost them.
                http://www.espnscrum.com/2011-rugby-...ry/153095.html

Comment

World Cup ‘19 has started in Japan. Former BYU and NFL RB, Paul Lasike, starts at 12 for USA. Eagles had their first match against one of the tournament favorites, England, earlier this am. I’ll watch later and see if they can keep it under a 30 point defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
                    World Cup ‘19 has started in Japan. Former BYU and NFL RB, Paul Lasike, starts at 12 for USA. Eagles had their first match against one of the tournament favorites, England, earlier this am. I’ll watch later and see if they can keep it under a 30 point defeat.
                    England demolishes the US. Was that call against the US legit? The Red?
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                      England demolishes the US. Was that call against the US legit? The Red?
                      Shoulder charge to the chin with no attempt to wrap up. Definitely a red card.

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
                        Shoulder charge to the chin with no attempt to wrap up. Definitely a red card.
                        And now sent home, banned for 3 weeks

Comment

• Rugby World Cup 2023 is into the semifinals next weekend in Paris. The quarterfinals this past weekend were amazing. Absolute nail biters. All of the games are on Peacock (I think that the quarterfinals will still be up for replay). All games are over within ~2 hours, and super action-packed!

Comment

• Originally posted by wally View Post
                            Rugby World Cup 2023 is into the semifinals next weekend in Paris. The quarterfinals this past weekend were amazing. Absolute nail biters. All of the games are on Peacock (I think that the quarterfinals will still be up for replay). All games are over within ~2 hours, and super action-packed!
                            How does it compare to women's volleyball?
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                            X