No announcement yet.

Utah NHL Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocking that Alex Mereulo couldn't keep the team in Arizona. He seems very connected to reality:

https://theathletic.com/5439189/2024...uelo-utah-nhl/

On the “Burns and Gambo” radio show, he corrected one of the show’s hosts, insisting he was still the owner of the team, which was now simply “inactive.” He said he merely sent “players and hockey operations to Utah.” In the meeting with staff the next day, he told employees, who were worried about their jobs, that he refused to go down as the guy who lost the Coyotes. In a news conference with Bettman on Friday, the commissioner interjected on multiple occasions, jumping in to “translate” when Meruelo blurted out “I don’t like the media.” At one point, Bettman grabbed Meruelo’s arm to stop him from talking.
    At a company draft party in the summer of 2021, he unexpectedly took the microphone, telling the crowd the team would leave Glendale and build a new facility in Tempe. Executives in attendance, including Gutierrez, grew visibly uncomfortable at his bombastic speech given the team’s fragile relationship with Glendale and the corporate partners in the audience.

“That was one of the first signs I had that we were really in trouble,” said a former employee. “He had no self-awareness whatsoever.”
    As part of the sale, Meruelo will be given the exclusive right to bring a team back to the market, an effort that begins with the state land auction on June 27. Bettman said the league needs 18 months notice prior to reactivation and PHNX Sports reported that any arena must be 50 percent complete in order to trigger reactivation notice. According to Sportsnet, the “revival rights are non-transferable” and the $1 billion price tag to bring the Coyotes back is locked in. It is a path back into the NHL for Meruelo, but few people believe the league would allow that to happen.

“I have not witnessed a group more committed to doing things the wrong way and failing to develop any sort of meaningful support in the political community, business community and with the influential stakeholders they need to make this happen,” said David Leibowitz, a former communications consultant for the Coyotes who worked with three different owners, including Meruelo.

Said Keating: “I have zero faith they will be able to pull that off. The fact that he couldn’t build an arena when he had a team. Who’s going to build it now?” He added: “No one wants to do business with this guy. Why would you?”
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

Eff the Red Wings and everything associated with them. The logo, the name, the players, the city. EVERYTHING.
      I know nothing about hockey so I'm fine with effing the players. But I will not eff the logo and name because they're great. Also I will not eff Detroit since that's a storied American City that gave us a legacy of auto manufacturing, manufacturing innovation, Kid Rock, Ted Nuggent, Eminem, along with many other contributions.

Comment

• Nice article on the current state of the roster for the Utah NHL Team.
        https://theathletic.com/5432755/2024...nder-timeline/
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post

I know nothing about hockey so I'm fine with effing the players. But I will not eff the logo and name because they're great. Also I will not eff Detroit since that's a storied American City that gave us a legacy of auto manufacturing, manufacturing innovation, Kid Rock, Ted Nuggent, Eminem, along with many other contributions.
          Well, then eff you too. You are basically a Red Wing with that attitude.
          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• I'm not a Redwings fan, and while I haven't really enjoyed their team in the past few decades, I too love their logo. I also have family members who have lived there. I've only been to 2 NHL games and one of them was in Detroit.

I do enjoy MF's passionate hatred and think it is great. I encourage it! There's a reason I wore a Redwings hat the one time I've met MF in person a long time ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
              I'm not a Redwings fan, and while I haven't really enjoyed their team in the past few decades, I too love their logo. I also have family members who have lived there. I've only been to 2 NHL games and one of them was in Detroit.

I do enjoy MF's passionate hatred and think it is great. I encourage it! There's a reason I wore a Redwings hat the one time I've met MF in person a long time ago.
              I remember. I think I showed great restraint by not punching you in the face
              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

Sorry you lost your shitty hockey team. Keep lashing out, though. Maybe move to Seattle and you can fellate that arena 41 times every year. Meanwhile, the VGK owner has spent the past year collecting his bad mascot tears in the Stanley Cup.
                I like the Vegas mascot and most of the gear, though if I were going to buy a jersey I would opt for the white or charcoal and not the gold variant. I believe the owner went to West Point. T

To me the Kraken name and colors are kind of shitty. After all the teal nonsense that went on for 15 solid years from the late 80s through the early 2000s, I would stay the hell away from any color even close to that. Seattle should have gone with something like the Sasquatch or Bigfoot or something. The logo could have been a silhouette from that Bigfoot video from the 70s. I kind of like the Yetis but it may not work very well in Utah.
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• A rendering of a family cheering on the Utah Yetis next year.

GL9pt8YXwAA6S_3.jpg
                  Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Locals showed out for the meet the team event tonight. DC is packed and they are turning away fans

Comment

• Maybe in a nod towards our own dearly departed Hopfrog they could name it the Utah Cthulhu.

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                        A rendering of a family cheering on the Utah Yetis next year.

GL9pt8YXwAA6S_3.jpg
                        Why so much denim? Maybe a tribute to the canadien tuxedo?

Comment

• That looks like a SoCal family.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            That looks like a SoCal family.
                            That's a hipster megachurch pastor and his family.

Comment

• I was thinking that since we've already stolen Jazz from New Orleans we could keep up the irony Utah co-opting black music and go with Utah Soul. Change the note to a puck and stick. Boom. The best.

Utah Soul.png

Comment

• Love it.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X