Utah NHL Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Commando View Post

I thought that's when they were going full speed ahead with the new arena. I guess this is the best kind of levy they could approve, since if you don't want that tax you just... don't go out to games.
    I thought it was for the "entertainment district" including a possible new arena. I fully assume a big time renovation of the DC would count

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Terrible idea.
      Rest assured they aren't putting anything in that top 8 that isn't a viable name. Seattle did something similar w Kraken, which, once they had that name (I'll say it again) they ran with it and made it some of the best branding in professional sports. Of course, Seattle had a lot of good names to pick from that made sense. The Thunderbirds (with the NW indigenous thunderbird totem carvings) the Sasquatch, etc. I hear nothing but terrible names coming from Utah -- Blizzard, Yeti, etc. I think it has to be bee-related. I think everyone's already seen the news that there have already been trademarks filed for Utah Hockey Club, Utah HC, Utah Venom, Utah Blizzard, Utah Yeti, and Utah Fury. I think Venom would work provided it is referring to the venom that honeybees carry in their stingers.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
        Ryan smith is saying he'll leave the naming of the team up to the fans. They'll come up with a top 8 or something and then have fans vote, bracket style. Could be a disaster unless he is actually able to limit votes to utah NHL fans...
        Reminds me of a case in England a few years ago where some organization said that they were going to use a public poll to pick a name for a brand new ship that was going into service. The overwhelming winner of the poll was "Boaty McBoatface". Sadly, they went back on their word and chose a different name.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I think the tax increase goes to pay for whatever improvements are made to the entertainment district outside of the arena. I think the plan is for the area to become the medals plaza for the upcoming Olympics. I hope the place doubles as an outdoor concert venue in the summer.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post

I thought it was for the "entertainment district" including a possible new arena. I fully assume a big time renovation of the DC would count
            Well I'm already hearing Ryan Smith talking about converting the Delta Center into a big family destination where they can take in a game and kick it until midnight in the area, so that tracks. That's going to be an undertaking. My pressing concern is where does this leave Crown Burger parking?
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

My pressing concern is where does this leave Crown Burger parking?

Comment

• Here are the betting odds for a name as of Monday morning:
                Utah Blizzard +275
                Utah Venom +300
                Utah Fury +500
                Utah Yetis +700
                Utah Black Diamonds +1500
                Utah Shredders +2000
                Utah Stingers +2500
                Utah HC +3000
                Utah Hockey Club +3000
                Utah Golden Eagles +3000
                The Field +600

I feel like we can do better than any of these (although I'm on record as preferring Golden Eagles above everything else).

I prefer animal mascots. Bees and bee related rings aren't active when it's cold. Neither is anything with venom. Hell, I like Grizzlies or Badgers over most of these.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                  Here are the betting odds for a name as of Monday morning:
                  Utah Blizzard +275
                  Utah Venom +300
                  Utah Fury +500
                  Utah Yetis +700
                  Utah Shredders +2000
                  Utah Stingers +2500
                  Utah HC +3000
                  Utah Hockey Club +3000
                  Utah Golden Eagles +3000
                  The Field +600

I feel like we can do better than any of these (although I'm on record as preferring Golden Eagles above everything else).

I prefer animal mascots. Bees and bee related rings aren't active when it's cold. Neither is anything with venom. Hell, I like Grizzlies or Badgers over most of these.
                  No odds for Utah Outlaws?
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• It's too bad the Blues is already taken

Comment

• I don't know if the rest of the country is experiencing the dramatic irony of letting people in Utah name something...

Comment

I don't know if the rest of the country is experiencing the dramatic irony of letting people in Utah name something...
                        Ryan Smith was on Pat Mcafee and told the guys that the plan was for a fan voting bracket and the PM guys all started booing. They realize it's a terrible idea. Ryan was surprised they reacted that way and claims qualtrics will be able to keep out the AI and bots from taking over.. We'll see. lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                          It's too bad the Blues is already taken
                          Utah Rocks?

I guess Red Rocks is already taken.

Comment

• Pucky Mcpuckface

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                              Here are the betting odds for a name as of Monday morning:
                              Utah Blizzard +275
                              Utah Venom +300
                              Utah Fury +500
                              Utah Yetis +700
                              Utah Shredders +2000
                              Utah Stingers +2500
                              Utah HC +3000
                              Utah Hockey Club +3000
                              Utah Golden Eagles +3000
                              The Field +600

Oh yeah? What about ICE BEES??

Comment

• Here's a little brief history of how Seattle picked its name. Someone can forward this to Ryan Smith if you have his email. It could also be forwarded to Las Vegas' owner, because it might not be too late to change that awful mascot before the concrete settles any more.

https://medium.com/@seattlekrakenhoc...ve%20finalists.

Comment

Working...
                                X