Official 49ers Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
    I just read a mock draft that was updated last week and had the 49ers picking Locker at #8.

Please no.

Second round draft pick + Alex Smith or Troy Smith + some later round pick for Kolb. Maybe that will get it done.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
      Please no.

Second round draft pick + Alex Smith or Troy Smith + some later round pick for Kolb. Maybe that will get it done.
      I don't want Locker in round 1, 2 or 3 and probably not even if he were available in 4. I probably feel more strongly about not wanting Flocker than I did Teblow last year.

Isn't AS a FA? Meaning SF can't really trade him? I would consider a 2 this year and a 2 next, or a first next and a 3 this year (preferred actually with the hoped improvement a QB like Kolb should provide. I would even consider our 1 this year if we win Sunday and drop to the middle of the first instead of top 8-10.

Comment

• Peter King just said that SF is not looking to hire a proven coach (reqd Gruden, Cowher, etc) but will turn their attention towards a younger coordinator or college type coach. At the top of the list apparently is Harbaugh, who King said also has interest in the gig.

Fingers crossed.

Comment

Peter King just said that SF is not looking to hire a proven coach (reqd Gruden, Cowher, etc) but will turn their attention towards a younger coordinator or college type coach. At the top of the list apparently is Harbaugh, who King said also has interest in the gig.

Fingers crossed.
          I think the San Francisco gig is a good one. The cupboard is not bare, the division is theirs for the taking and the fan expectations are low.
          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Tim Kawakami (SJ Mercury) is reporting that the 49ers are also looking at Gruden, but it sounds like Harbaugh is the frontrunner.

Comment

I think the San Francisco gig is a good one. The cupboard is not bare, the division is theirs for the taking and the fan expectations are low.
              I wouldn't say that expectations are low. This is a franchise that was a Super Bowl favorite nearly every year for almost 15 seasons from the early 80s until the late 90s. They were the favorites to win the division this year (and should have) and a team that should have beaten probably the top three teams in the NFC (New Orleans, Philly and Atlanta) but found ways to give the game away.

I think the gig is still a good one, as they play in a weak division and their is absolutely some talent in Gore, Crabtree, Davis, a solid O-Line on offense and a lot of talent on defense in Franklin, Justin Smith, and arguably the best ILB in football in Willis.

Comment

I don't want Locker in round 1, 2 or 3 and probably not even if he were available in 4. I probably feel more strongly about not wanting Flocker than I did Teblow last year.

Isn't AS a FA? Meaning SF can't really trade him? I would consider a 2 this year and a 2 next, or a first next and a 3 this year (preferred actually with the hoped improvement a QB like Kolb should provide. I would even consider our 1 this year if we win Sunday and drop to the middle of the first instead of top 8-10.
                Yes. Alex Smith's contract ends on Sunday.

I really can't see the 49ers going for a QB in the first round. If Baalke is running the draft (and I'm guessing he will be the next GM), I bet they go pass rusher and corner with their first couple of picks and a QB somewhere like the 3rd round.

As you mention in another post below, fan expectations are not low at this point. It's the opposite; they’re demanding the Yorks put a winner on the field.

Comment

I wouldn't say that expectations are low. This is a franchise that was a Super Bowl favorite nearly every year for almost 15 seasons from the early 80s until the late 90s. They were the favorites to win the division this year (and should have) and a team that should have beaten probably the top three teams in the NFC (New Orleans, Philly and Atlanta) but found ways to give the game away.

I think the gig is still a good one, as they play in a weak division and their is absolutely some talent in Gore, Crabtree, Davis, a solid O-Line on offense and a lot of talent on defense in Franklin, Justin Smith, and arguably the best ILB in football in Willis.
                  The Niners haven't been serious contenders since the late 90s. They haven't made the playoffs since 2002. While I do think the fans expect the Niners to win the division, that's really not asking that much since 8-8 apparently is enough to pull that off.

Comment

• Originally posted by 8BR View Post
                    Yes. Alex Smith's contract ends on Sunday.

I really can't see the 49ers going for a QB in the first round. If Baalke is running the draft (and I'm guessing he will be the next GM), I bet they go pass rusher and corner with their first couple of picks and a QB somewhere like the 3rd round.

As you mention in another post below, fan expectations are not low at this point. It's the opposite; they’re demanding the Yorks put a winner on the field.
                    By saying fan expectations are low, I'm not saying the fans expect some Detroit Lions-esque rebuilding project to take place. But compare the fan expectations in, say, New York, Dallas or Philly to San Francisco.

Comment

By saying fan expectations are low, I'm not saying the fans expect some Detroit Lions-esque rebuilding project to take place. But compare the fan expectations in, say, New York, Dallas or Philly to San Francisco.
                      I'm not sure how to quantify expectations across markets, but most 49ers fans believe with steady QB play and a pass rush (both of which they didn't get this season) the rest of the team has the talent not only to be division champs, but to make a deep playoff run.

As Sizzle said they should have beat Philly, ATL and NO this season, but found ways to give up the game - mostly through TOs from the QB.

Comment

I'm not sure how to quantify expectations across markets, but most 49ers fans believe with steady QB play and a pass rush (both of which they didn't get this season) the rest of the team has the talent not only to be division champs, but to make a deep playoff run.

As Sizzle said they should have beat Philly, ATL and NO this season, but found ways to give up the game - mostly through TOs from the QB.
                        Alex Smith hater!

Comment

Alex Smith hater!
                          If Smith can just get a good coach in there...
                          "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Alex Smith hater!
                            I wish it had worked out differently for him. I really do.

Comment

Jon Gruden and Jim Harbaugh will be the top two candidates for the head coaching position. I hope they get Harbaugh. The young up-and-coming guys have a little more fire. No Super Bowl winning coach has ever brought a title to a second team. There are only five coaches who have ever taken two different teams to the Super Bowl.

Whoever they get will be an offensive guy. They will not hire a former defensive coordinator or defense-focused head coach.

On the defense: I bet Manusky stays around. Tomsula will definitely still be there - the 49ers have one of the best run defenses in the league. Manusky's overall defense will look better if they draft a pass rusher. Their lack of a pass rush has exposed the corners more once this season (looking at you Clements). But in the end, it will be up to the new head coach to decide who stays from the defensive staff.

York says the new GM will be responsible for hiring the coach. Little York will talk to a bunch of GM candidates, but in the end I would not be surprise to see him hire Baalke. Baalke is the current director of personal and took over when Scot McCloughan left just prior to last year's draft. I can live with Baalke.

The 49ers will then look for a veteran QB to pick up and start next season. No matter who they get in the draft, they go get a veteran QB. I hope that's Kolb.

Oh my. That Jim Druckenmiller image is classic. And it haunts me. I honestly think he was a worse 1st round pick than either Alex Smith or even Ryan Leaf. With those guys you had reason to think that they could handle the NFL game. With Druckenmiller it was obvious from watching him at Va Tech that he was a meathead with a big arm.
                              Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

I just read a mock draft that was updated last week and had the 49ers picking Locker at #8.

Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

Working...
                                X