Remember when Michael Beasley was a cant-miss

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MarkGrace
    Grooveshark dick tease
    • Dec 2008
    • 31546

    #1

    Remember when Michael Beasley was a cant-miss

    stud and was going to set the NBA on fire?

    The Nets have rejected a trade offer from the Heat that would have sent forward Michael Beasley to New Jersey for guard Keyon Dooling, according to ESPN's Ryen Russillo.

    Miami doesn't consider Beasley a part of their future anymore and is even looking at lopsided trades in an effort to clear additional cap space.
    Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...#ixzz0ppKT4aS8

    Uh, wow.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.
  • Jacob
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 6801

    #2
    Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
    stud and was going to set the NBA on fire?



    Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...#ixzz0ppKT4aS8

    Uh, wow.
    You don't even have to go back to the draft. Word was that Miami wouldn't include Beasley in any trade last year, including for Boozer.

    But, I'm not sure if he was ever a can't miss. There were questions about his character prior to the draft, no? Still, he was the consensus 1 or 2 draft pick.

    Comment

    • LiveCoug
      LA Ute loves me
      • Nov 2008
      • 18488

      #3
      Wow, they wouldn't take a 10/6 guy for a 7/1/2.5 guy???

      Comment

      • Flystripper
        Degenerate Gambler
        • Nov 2008
        • 14089

        #4
        He is not worth his money but I think he still has a chance to develop into a good NBA player. He will probably never develop to an all star level (which is what you want from an overall number 1 or number 2 pick) but he may still be serviceable. He is just too expensive right now.
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

        Comment

        • smokymountainrain
          Impressive Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 22593

          #5
          Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
          Wow, they wouldn't take a 10/6 guy for a 7/1/2.5 guy???
          ???
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

          Comment

          • smokymountainrain
            Impressive Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 22593

            #6
            Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
            He is not worth his money but I think he still has a chance to develop into a good NBA player. He will probably never develop to an all star level (which is what you want from an overall number 1 or number 2 pick) but he may still be serviceable. He is just too expensive right now.
            I agree with your post, but how expensive is he, really? He's still on his rookie scale contract - that's less than the MLE, isn't it?

            He gave the Heat 15 and 6 as a 21 year old in this his second year, after 13 and 5 as a 20 year old rookie. That seems like pretty good production for guy making less than the MLE.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

            Comment

            • Jacob
              Junior Member
              • Oct 2009
              • 6801

              #7
              Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
              I agree with your post, but how expensive is he, really? He's still on his rookie scale contract - that's less than the MLE, isn't it?

              He gave the Heat 15 and 6 as a 21 year old in this his second year, after 13 and 5 as a 20 year old rookie. That seems like pretty good production for guy making less than the MLE.
              This is all easily explainable, I think. Beasley is set to make just under 5m for next year with a team option at 6.2m the following year. Dooling is set to make 3.9, but it is a team option for next year.

              The Heat would likely be able to refuse the option on Dooling, then save 5m more under the cap. They would only have 19m in salaries next year, putting them on par with NY and NJ for cap space.

              They's be able to sign Bosh/Amare/Booz/Dirk and re-sign DWade and add a 3rd top tier FA.

              It is for that same reason that NJ probably didn't want to do the deal, plus the fact that they can draft Beasley or better at No 3.

              Comment

              • Flystripper
                Degenerate Gambler
                • Nov 2008
                • 14089

                #8
                Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                I agree with your post, but how expensive is he, really? He's still on his rookie scale contract - that's less than the MLE, isn't it?

                He gave the Heat 15 and 6 as a 21 year old in this his second year, after 13 and 5 as a 20 year old rookie. That seems like pretty good production for guy making less than the MLE.
                Good point
                Dyslexics are teople poo...

                Comment

                • Indy Coug
                  Heartless Bastard
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 18747

                  #9
                  The "can't miss" was an evaluation of his talent, not his character. He still has can't miss talent.
                  Everything in life is an approximation.

                  http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                  Comment

                  • FN Phat
                    I ♥ gateway sex
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 8691

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                    The "can't miss" was an evaluation of his talent, not his character. He still has can't miss talent.
                    If anyone has been around SE DC or PG County in Maryland, you can understand why he behaves and acts the way he does.
                    I'm your huckleberry.


                    "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                    Comment

                    • smokymountainrain
                      Impressive Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 22593

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                      Good point
                      Sounds like he makes about the MLE or a little more - maybe not as good a value as I thought, but probably still not terrible.

                      The more I read about this, however - if true - it does sound like a salary move as Jacob explained above.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

                      Comment

                      Working...