Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by scottie View Post
    Yes, he's terrible.
    He is definitely consistent, I will give him that. Just like the tiger of old, everyone again knows what he is going to do on Sundays.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      He is definitely consistent, I will give him that. Just like the tiger of old, everyone again knows what he is going to do on Sundays.
      Clever, 3D... Obviously he's not what he used to be (getting older is a bitch), but being the FedEx points leader going into playoffs and being the only 3-time PGA winner in 2012 ain't bad, at all. Ya, he stinks (oh, brother).

Comment

• Has anybody ever had a worse three win year than Tiger this year?

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
          Has anybody ever had a worse three win year than Tiger this year?
          NBA comparison would be LBJ the last 5-6 years. Best player in the league, won a bunch of comparatively meaningless games but choked or didn't do enough when it mattered most.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
            NBA comparison would be LBJ the last 5-6 years. Best player in the league, won a bunch of comparatively meaningless games but choked or didn't do enough when it mattered most.
            Except he hasn't been the best player in the league. He may have the most tournament wins, but Dufner, IMO, has been the most consistent player this year. He has 2 wins, and was pretty close to a third before falling apart (after playing three tournaments in a row). Also, he has 8 top-10 finishes to Tiger's 6.

I'm interested to see how Tiger does in his head-to-head matches in the Ryder cup. For being the best golfer of the past decade, he's very average in the Ryder cup.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              Except he hasn't been the best player in the league. He may have the most tournament wins, but Dufner, IMO, has been the most consistent player this year. He has 2 wins, and was pretty close to a third before falling apart (after playing three tournaments in a row). Also, he has 8 top-10 finishes to Tiger's 6.

I'm interested to see how Tiger does in his head-to-head matches in the Ryder cup. For being the best golfer of the past decade, he's very average in the Ryder cup.
              You follow the PGA much closer than I do, but wasn't Woods the points and/or money leader for 2012 until very recently?
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                You follow the PGA much closer than I do, but wasn't Woods the points and/or money leader for 2012 until very recently?
                He is the 2012 money leader (Dufner is 3rd with 3 more events played than Woods) and was the FedEx points leader going into week 1 of the playoffs last week.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottie View Post
                  He is the 2012 money leader (Dufner is 3rd with 3 more events played than Woods) and was the FedEx points leader going into week 1 of the playoffs last week.
                  To discount Tiger's Sunday afternoon struggles this year by pointing to his dollar or points standings seems a little disingenuous. As we all know, he only measures his career by one metric at this point, and it's not dollars or points. He's already passed Jack total wins.

Tiger is tied for 73rd in final round scoring average (70.83), with tour power players Roland Thatcher and Matt Bettencourt. Clearly he's having problems closing the deal on Sunday.

Yes, he is getting older, which means there are only so many big Sunday afternoons left in his career.

Comment

• Originally posted by 8BR View Post
                    To discount Tiger's Sunday afternoon struggles this year by pointing to his dollar or points standings seems a little disingenuous. As we all know, he only measures his career by one metric at this point, and it's not dollars or points. He's already passed Jack total wins.

Tiger is tied for 73rd in final round scoring average (70.83), with tour power players Roland Thatcher and Matt Bettencourt. Clearly he's having problems closing the deal on Sunday.

Yes, he is getting older, which means there are only so many big Sunday afternoons left in his career.
                    In short, his level of choking would make Karl Malone blush.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• Tiger used to go with his stinger, when he needed to hit a pressure shot and just make a fairway on a Sunday afternoon. Early in his career it was with a 2 iron and then later a 3 wood. He doesn't even have that shot in his bag anymore with his new swing. His stinger was a draw; his new swing is power fades only.

I don't think he's hit that shot this year. Correct me if I'm wrong. Does anyone recall Tiger hitting a stinger this year?

Comment

• Originally posted by 8BR View Post
                        Tiger used to go with his stinger, when he needed to hit a pressure shot and just make a fairway on a Sunday afternoon. Early in his career it was with a 2 iron and then later a 3 wood. He doesn't even have that shot in his bag anymore with his new swing. His stinger was a draw; his new swing is power fades only.

I don't think he's hit that shot this year. Correct me if I'm wrong. Does anyone recall Tiger hitting a stinger this year?
                        He still hits a stinger with his 3 wood. But it's definitely not as reliable as it once was, likely due to his recent swing changes.

That said, I think his putting has been a bigger factor. In 2009 he was 2nd in strokes gained putting. In 2007 he was 3rd. In 2005 he was 9th. In 2004 he was 2nd. This year, he's 41st.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          He still hits a stinger with his 3 wood. But it's definitely not as reliable as it once was, likely due to his recent swing changes.

That said, I think his putting has been a bigger factor. In 2009 he was 2nd in strokes gained putting. In 2007 he was 3rd. In 2005 he was 9th. In 2004 he was 2nd. This year, he's 41st.
                          His putting has sucked. Watching him putt the back 9 on Sunday made me cringe.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

• I'm a Tiger hater as much as anyone. His wins this year were in minor events, and on marginal courses. However, they did have full fields, and major stars.

Tiger will never be Tiger again, but I'd be willing to bet $1,000 that counting his three wins this year, and through the year 2022, Tiger will have more wins than anybody else. He'll figure it out, get a belly putter at some point, and not be dominant, but be the most prolific player in the coming decade. That said, I think he's only got 2 majors in him in the next decade. Not enough to pass Jack.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                              I'm a Tiger hater as much as anyone. His wins this year were in minor events, and on marginal courses. However, they did have full fields, and major stars.
                              Arnold's tournament at Bayhill

Jack's tournament at Muirfield

and the At&t at Congressional are not minor tournaments played on marginal courses.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                                Arnold's tournament at Bayhill

Jack's tournament at Muirfield

and the At&t at Congressional are not minor tournaments played on marginal courses.
                                Bayhill is.... I'll concede Muirfield and Congressional. But you could argue that any club Fluff Cowan belongs too has to be a little marginal...

So.... who do you think will be a bigger winner than Tiger in the next ten years?

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Working...
                                X