"You Gotta Love It Baby" Official Jazz thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
    I don't know what ford means by saying the hype for the next draft is dying. I think with how some rookies are playing so far it does look like last year's draft was pretty deep. And while this 2012 draft was supposed to be both deep and star heavy, it still seems to me that at the very least this draft is easily more top heavy than last year.

But again I'm not sure what he's hearing or seeing that would equate to a drop off in positive outlook for the '12 draft. Coming into the year the guys that were sure bets to be at the top were Davis, Drummond, Barnes, Sullinger, and Jones. Davis has actually exceeded the huge expectations for him. Sullinger isn't a guy that is going to move up or way down, he is what he is. Barnes has drastically improved his shooting numbers, including a 10% increase from 3pt range, and his scoring is up even though his mpg is down 3. Drummond was considered a massive talent with a questionable motor; no change. Jones was considered a massive talent with a questionable motor; no change, though his numbers are up across the board and his team looks great.

But beyond those 5, Thomas Robinson has gone from a guy scouts looked at as Paul Millsap to being considered a top 5 pick. Jeremy Lamb looked great with Teams USA and he's excelling with Walker gone from UConn. Cody Zeller wasn't even on the radar but he's in everyone's top 20. Kidd-Gilchrist at Kentucky as exceeded expectations so far. John Henson has shown a better jumper and post moves and put on a bit more weight, two big question marks for him last year. Tyler Zeller, Mason Plumlee, and Terrence Jones should be considered to have similar value as they would have before this season started, if not a bit higher for Plumlee.

And then on top of that you've still got those high potential guys that may or may not come out like Quincy Miller, Terrence Ross, Bradley Beal, and Wroten, jr. I'm not sure what the international prospects are rated at right now, and there have been some disappointments in college so far, with Austin Rivers, James McAdoo, and Adonis Thomas.

But to me this draft still seems like a dream to have two lottery picks. The big downside is the lack of PG prospects, a huge need for Utah. But that's why I was hoping for one of those picks and Harris to get moved for a better point.
    Good points. I think this draft lacks a lock at the #1, perhaps that is the weakness Ford sees, but there is essentially 2 years of college talent in this draft. As for a PG, I still think the Jazz should package Harris and the GS pick for Calderon.

Comment

• Originally posted by SloanHater View Post
      That's almost word for word what I said and the reason he has transitioned to the 3.

He is the perfect compliment to Howard. Howard can create his own shot, but is a less than stellar defender.

I'm not shocked that you and Jacob are in agreement based on your understanding of the game.

http://bgdnwkublog.wordpress.com/201...ft-experience/
      You question EVERYONE'S understanding of the game and cite an article quoting Jeremy saying he HOPES to make the transition to 3? I hope to win the lottery but it doesn't make it so.

You're not very good at this.
      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• Of course, all this somewhat misses the point. The biggest reason to be excited about Utah's start isn't because of what it portends for this season, but because of what it means for their future. With quality young players like Hayward, Kanter, Favors and Alec Burks already making contributions, and two frontcourt linchpins -- both of whom are just hitting their prime as players -- Utah is set up to be a force for years to come. They may also be getting a lottery pick form Golden State to augment the roster next year; it's top-seven-protected and the Warriors own the league's ninth-worst record at the moment.

So be excited about Utah's start, yes … especially if, as seems possible, it can get back into the playoffs. But be even more excited about what comes next. With several talented young players, lots of depth and virtually no bad contracts, the Jazz are as well-positioned for the coming years as any franchise in basketball. Their hot start only cements the idea that the post-Williams Jazz are in far better shape than many realized.
        http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...azz-good-shape
        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
          You question EVERYONE'S understanding of the game and cite an article quoting Jeremy saying he HOPES to make the transition to 3? I hope to win the lottery but it doesn't make it so.

You're not very good at this.
          He also says the ESPN review is almost word-for-word what he said when one (he needs to gain weight!) of the eight things actually agrees with something he said. He's just playing the SeattleUte game now.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
            He also says the ESPN review is almost word-for-word what he said when one (he needs to gain weight!) of the eight things actually agrees with something he said. He's just playing the SeattleUte game now.
            So why does Hollinger list him as a SF on your quoted scouting report you fucking hack?

Originally posted by SloanHater View Post
            Evans is a good defender, not quite great, but has the potential to be named to the All-Defensive Team.

He needs to add 20 lbs to handle most 3s in the post, but most 3s in the NBA lack any kind of post game. (See Lebron)
            Originally posted by Hollinger
            • Mobility makes him defensive plus but lacks strength to guard post.
            Originally posted by SloanHater View Post
            Evans is the perfect fit for the 3 in the flex offense. He's a good passer, he rebounds (and throws down) exceptionally well from the high post, and his post moves are decent.
            Originally posted by Hollinger
            • Rail-thin, pogo-leaping forward who excels on alley-oop plays.
            As for Hollinger's assertion that Evans is a bad rebounder, well, the stats disagree. His defensive rebounding rate last year was on par with Millsap and Jefferson. His offensive rebounding rate was better than either.

By Hollinger's own stupid PER rating, Evans was the fourth best Jazz player last year.

Comment

That's almost word for word what I said and the reason he has transitioned to the 3.
              When did Evans transition to the 3? I've watched every minute of Jazz games this season and I haven't noticed it. Did he get 2 maybe 3 minutes?

Comment

• According to cbs sports dunk-o-meter, Evans has 10 dunks this year. How many total FGs does he have? Unless I read it wrong, he has 10.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  According to cbs sports dunk-o-meter, Evans has 10 dunks this year. How many total FGs does he have? Unless I read it wrong, he has 10.
                  Just more proof that we should put him on the wing. He'd probably be good at lobbing the ball to someone who can make a nice back cut from the high post and finish above the rim. Someone like....wait...no, that won't work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                    When did Evans transition to the 3? I've watched every minute of Jazz games this season and I haven't noticed it. Did he get 2 maybe 3 minutes?
                    You've watched every minute are really this stupid?

Evans played with Kanter/Favors.

Comment

Evans has played 1% of the team's minutes at SF this year, and 7% of the team's minutes at PF.

Evans' PER as a SF = 0.9. As a PF = 26.9.

Opponent PER with Evans at SF = 38. As PF = 9.6

Evans' eFG% as SF = 0. As PF = 90%

Blk/48 as SF = 0. Blk/48 as PF = 5.2

per 82games

Comment

Oh yeah. Remember that one time when the game was over and the Jazz got blown out by 24 and Corbin put in all the young guys for the last couple of minutes? I guess Evans is a 3 after all.

Comment

• So why does Hollinger list him as a SF on your quoted scouting report you fucking hack?
                          Hollinger doesn't list the positions, ESPN does, and you'll frequently see listings that don't reflect actual position. Hayward's right now says SG, and he's obviously not starting or playing many minutes there (though I agree that he should). Hollinger just provides the scouting report. And you did getting the dunking part right.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            According to cbs sports dunk-o-meter, Evans has 10 dunks this year. How many total FGs does he have? Unless I read it wrong, he has 10.
                            All of them were from the high-post, too. Dude has hops!

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post

Comment

So why does Hollinger list him as a SF on your quoted scouting report you fucking hack?
                                You are seeing a whole team of pyschologists. Admit it.

I think that might be the first time in MG's history he's been called a "fucking hack". Guy knows his shit.
                                "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Working...
                                X