"You Gotta Love It Baby" Official Jazz thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UteStar View Post
    Don't quite understand his reasoning. Kanter is a 'great great value' at #3 basically means that he should be a 1 or a 2 pick but he is at #3. If that is the case, that is high praise.

We are hearing how weak this draft is...I will be very curious to look back at this draft in 3-4 years and see how weak it really was.
    Gottlieb thinks Kanter should definitely go #1 or #2...that is why he was saying the Jazz would essentially get a steal if they get him at #3.

He didn't say, at least in this interview, what he has to base that high opinion of Kanter on. I don't know if he was given access to some Kentucky practices or if he's just going on what his college sources (and maybe Calipari himself) have said.

Comment

• Calipari from last October, after Kanter was ruled unable to participate in further practices, FWIW:

But Calipari has repeatedly tried to dampen expectations that Kanter can be as good as Cousins, a freshman All-American for UK last season. "He's just not," the UK coach said. "That's crazy."
      "He played well in the (Nike Hoop) Summit Game, and everybody judged him by that one game," Calipari said. "He played well because everybody was 6-7, 6-8. So at his size, he could physically do that. But the reality of it is, he's got to get in better shape. He's got to get stronger. He's got to improve his skills, balance around the goal. He's got a lot of work (to do). He's not a finished product."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacob View Post
        Calipari from last October, after Kanter was ruled unable to participate in further practices, FWIW:
        I'll see if I can find other Cal quotes I've read. I think I saw them on a UNC board. But it seems that Cal was in lower expectation mode before the season and then pump-up Kanter after he was done at Kentucky.

Comment

• Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
          I'll see if I can find other Cal quotes I've read. I think I saw them on a UNC board. But it seems that Cal was in lower expectation mode before the season and then pump-up Kanter after he was done at Kentucky.
          Couple weeks ago Cal said he should be the #1 pick. Apparently he can't make up his mind.
          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
            Couple weeks ago Cal said he should be the #1 pick. Apparently he can't make up his mind.
            Now saying he could be the next Mailman.

Comment

• There are plenty of expectations for the BYU star, who was the college Player of the Year this past season. And one of them is that he won't be available for the Knicks , who have the 17th overall pick in the NBA draft. But according to a person with knowledge of the situation, the Knicks are looking for a deal that will help them move up in the draft to land the sharpshooter from upstate Glens Falls.

The issue, of course, is the team's lack of assets to offer in a trade, which, right now, would be to offer either Toney Douglas or Landry Fields along with their pick.
              Fields + #17 for the #12?
              Last edited by BGRTHNUMEGO; 06-04-2011, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Fields + #17 for the #12?
                I think I'd do that. I didn't realize Fields was shooting 39% from 3.

Comment

• Enes Kanter met and worked out with the Utah Jazz today in Chicago at ATTACK Athletics.

The Jazz and the Kanter camp are keeping everything tight-lipped for some reason. This leaves a lot of speculation out there as to why they want to keep things so quiet.

"No complaints," said Max Ergul, Kanter's agent, who didn't comment much more than that.
                  http://thehoopsreport.com/article.aspx?id=737

Comment

• Kanter video

http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/201...er-workout-vid

Every move looks like he is playing in slow motion to me. But, for some reason, it's not a bad thing as it seems to be fast, smooth slow motion.

I know that made no sense, but that's what it looks like to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                      Kanter video

Every move looks like he is playing in slow motion to me. But, for some reason, it's not a bad thing as it seems to be fast, smooth slow motion.

Exactly what I thought when I watched a previous video of him. Perfect description.
                      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• I've warmed up to the idea of picking Kanter at #3. I like Knight and I wouldn't be opposed to picking him at 3 either, but looking at those two as the most likely choices, I think Kanter can be a more physical, maybe a bit more scoring minded Andrew Bogut. Knight reminds me a little bit of Jason Terry. I don't think you're going to go wrong having either player on your team, but if you're picking between a healthy Bogut and a healthy Terry, I think you take Bogut. Now, I think Knight is a safer pick. He'll have a role in the league, whether it is as a combo guard like Terry, or a starting PG, he'll play. Kanter is more of an unknown, but his upside IMO is higher. There are potential injury issues with Kanter, though nobody really says what, there are questions about how good is Kanter really since he hasn't played competitive basketball in how long? But watching Kanter, I think he's got all the tools. The one question I have that may sway me back towards Knight, is if Kanter can play the 5. If he can, a big rotation including Favors, Kanter, Jefferson and Millsap could be as good as any in the league. If not, I actually think that Harris and Knight can play together in the backcourt immediately, and I'm fine with the pick. Not as fine as I would be if we were potentially landing Harrison Barnes, but...

Comment

My first thought was that makes no sense whatsoever. My second thought was that's pretty much how I'd describe Tim Duncan.

Comment

Kanter video

It just looks slow to me. I've never seen him play against live competition, but it looks like he takes a long time to get the ball off on his shot, plus he seems to have a habit of bringing the ball low -- down around his waist -- before bringing it back up to shoot. I don't think I risk a #3 pick on this guy.
                            "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• New HoopsReport blog says Jazz taking Kemba at 3 and Leonard at 12. He says he hears the Jazz like Kemba more than Walker so if they go PG at 3 it is Kemba. He moved Leonard down because he has Jimmer going 7 to Sacramento, saying he's heard the Kings really like Jimmer and think he's a good pairing next to Evans.

http://thehoopsreport.com/draft.aspx

Comment

New HoopsReport blog says Jazz taking Kemba at 3 and Leonard at 12. He says he hears the Jazz like Kemba more than Walker so if they go PG at 3 it is Kemba. He moved Leonard down because he has Jimmer going 7 to Sacramento, saying he's heard the Kings really like Jimmer and think he's a good pairing next to Evans.

http://thehoopsreport.com/draft.aspx
                                If it comes to pass, it will be bad for everyone. Kemba won't do well here, the Jazz fans will HATE this pick, and KOC will eventually be fired.
                                "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Working...
                                X