• Rodney Hood = prime Rashard Lewis

Dante Exum = only real skill is running

Trey Burke = still can't shoot or finish in lane

Comment

• Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
      Rodney Hood = prime Rashard Lewis

Dante Exum = only real skill is running

Trey Burke = still can't shoot or finish in lane
      You must have been there tonight. My brother was there - he likes Exum and said he was about as bad as he could have possibly been. He loved Hood's shooting stroke and said Gobert was the best player on the floor. Dominant defensively and on the boards.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
        You must have been there tonight. My brother was there - he likes Exum and said he was about as bad as he could have possibly been. He loved Hood's shooting stroke and said Gobert was the best player on the floor. Dominant defensively and on the boards.
        Been where? Did they open up practice?
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          Yes, it was an open scrimmage/practice. They played 3, 8 minute quarters. Apparently the entire lower bowl was filled.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
            Yeah. Lower bowl was almost full. Q&A with Snyder to start, then a few drills with Snyder explaining what each drill was, and then three 8 minute quarters of scrimmage.

Biggest change already from previous regime? The white team was Burke, Exum, Hood, Thomas, and Gobert. Snyder said he'd use summer league to get the young guys on the team most familiar with his system. KOC must be hating it. He wants Jason Washburn to get a good audition for those Asian league teams he will be playing for.

Exum really was bad. He took a year off to "prepare for the draft". Apparently working on the shot wasn't part of that program. Snyder did say the team has been doing two-a-days for the past 3 days, so to expect tired legs and inconsistent play. I'm surprised that he said they were going to practice again tomorrow before heading to Vegas. No wonder these guys often look gassed and disinterested during summer league games. Exum got his dribble swiped like a 6th grader the 3rd or 4th time he touched the ball. He was dribbling so high that the junior varsity PG swiped it cleanly. He air balled a shot from about 15 feet, barely caught rim on another, and bricked the only 3's he took. Bad, bad shot. But he said the altitude has been tough for him. I bet his legs had nothing left in them tonight.

More disappointing to me was Trey missing everything. Looked totally disinterested. Whereas Gobert came out really early to warm up, his FT stroke looked fantastic (I think he made 17-20 that I was counting), and then during the scrimmage he worked really hard. Snyder would give a recap after each 8 minutes and seems like he praised Gobert each time. Before the scrimmage Snyder mentioned him as well, that he runs the court really hard, and that is something they'll require of their bigs this year.

Hood is more explosive than I think he gets credit for, but he also has great body control. Looked very fluid with the pump fake at the 3, two dribbles, then pull up jumper at the junction in great rhythm.

Snyder talked about a few philosophies on offense. He wants the ball to get pushed at every change of possession, and the strong side block will be unoccupied. He wants the initial action to almost always be the lead guard on that wing with a pick, and that low block open to see what look they can get out of that. He wants the bigs to run hard and the guards to look to them to finish early. He thinks the team should play fast, but that doesn't mean shoot early in the shot clock. He wants a lot of ball movement and player movement, looking for the best shot. In other words, Snyder can clearly explain his strategy 167% better than Corbin ever could. Also said he expects his assistant coaches to be able to "actually coach", not just run drills in practice. He knows the young players need to all improve and thinks he has the staff in place to make it happen. Again talked about habits and how one of the best aspects of this job was being able to get a young team that could learn good habits together and establish an expectation of how they should play. Praised Favors for being in town and working with the young guys, and for being at the scrimmage tonight. Said Favors was the first call he made after being hired. Mentioned Burke, Exum, and Burks as guards that should push the ball quickly, no matter who gets it...then threw in Hayward. Some of the crowd moaned, some cheered.

Comment

• Was watching videos of Exum shooting at practice the other day. His shot is not pretty.
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
                Yeah. Lower bowl was almost full. Q&A with Snyder to start, then a few drills with Snyder explaining what each drill was, and then three 8 minute quarters of scrimmage.

Biggest change already from previous regime? The white team was Burke, Exum, Hood, Thomas, and Gobert. Snyder said he'd use summer league to get the young guys on the team most familiar with his system. KOC must be hating it. He wants Jason Washburn to get a good audition for those Asian league teams he will be playing for.

Exum really was bad. He took a year off to "prepare for the draft". Apparently working on the shot wasn't part of that program. Snyder did say the team has been doing two-a-days for the past 3 days, so to expect tired legs and inconsistent play. I'm surprised that he said they were going to practice again tomorrow before heading to Vegas. No wonder these guys often look gassed and disinterested during summer league games. Exum got his dribble swiped like a 6th grader the 3rd or 4th time he touched the ball. He was dribbling so high that the junior varsity PG swiped it cleanly. He air balled a shot from about 15 feet, barely caught rim on another, and bricked the only 3's he took. Bad, bad shot. But he said the altitude has been tough for him. I bet his legs had nothing left in them tonight.

More disappointing to me was Trey missing everything. Looked totally disinterested. Whereas Gobert came out really early to warm up, his FT stroke looked fantastic (I think he made 17-20 that I was counting), and then during the scrimmage he worked really hard. Snyder would give a recap after each 8 minutes and seems like he praised Gobert each time. Before the scrimmage Snyder mentioned him as well, that he runs the court really hard, and that is something they'll require of their bigs this year.

Hood is more explosive than I think he gets credit for, but he also has great body control. Looked very fluid with the pump fake at the 3, two dribbles, then pull up jumper at the junction in great rhythm.

Snyder talked about a few philosophies on offense. He wants the ball to get pushed at every change of possession, and the strong side block will be unoccupied. He wants the initial action to almost always be the lead guard on that wing with a pick, and that low block open to see what look they can get out of that. He wants the bigs to run hard and the guards to look to them to finish early. He thinks the team should play fast, but that doesn't mean shoot early in the shot clock. He wants a lot of ball movement and player movement, looking for the best shot. In other words, Snyder can clearly explain his strategy 167% better than Corbin ever could. Also said he expects his assistant coaches to be able to "actually coach", not just run drills in practice. He knows the young players need to all improve and thinks he has the staff in place to make it happen. Again talked about habits and how one of the best aspects of this job was being able to get a young team that could learn good habits together and establish an expectation of how they should play. Praised Favors for being in town and working with the young guys, and for being at the scrimmage tonight. Said Favors was the first call he made after being hired. Mentioned Burke, Exum, and Burks as guards that should push the ball quickly, no matter who gets it...then threw in Hayward. Some of the crowd moaned, some cheered.
                Thanks for the summary. It's refreshing to hear Snyder was talking X's and O's with the fans and media and actually gave the fans credit for being knowledgeable about the game. After Sloan and Corbin that's a nice change, IMO. I have no idea if Snyder can coach worth a shit, but I've been impressed whenever I've heard him in interviews.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

• The Jazz really need to get a scrimmage arranged against some high school players so that Exum can show his skills.
                  As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• So we drafted a poor man's Devin Harris!?
                    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                      The Jazz really need to get a scrimmage arranged against some high school players so that Exum can show his skills.
                      I remember the summer either after DeShawn Stevenson's rookie year or the summer he was drafted, the Jazz put on a charity game where they had DeShawn and other pros with utah connections (Andre Miller played) play against the top returning High School players in the state. DeShawn dominated and toyed with them. But then, unlike Exum, he dominated and toyed with HS players when he was actually in High School.

If they were to do something similar with Exum, I bet he could put up 18 points on 40% FGs. Might be good for his confidence.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                        I remember the summer either after DeShawn Stevenson's rookie year or the summer he was drafted, the Jazz put on a charity game where they had DeShawn and other pros with utah connections (Andre Miller played) play against the top returning High School players in the state. DeShawn dominated and toyed with them. But then, unlike Exum, he dominated and toyed with HS players when he was actually in High School.

If they were to do something similar with Exum, I bet he could put up 18 points on 40% FGs. Might be good for his confidence.
                        I wonder if Andre Miller is available to teach Dante Exum how to play PG when you can't shoot.
                        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                          I'm feeling increasingly good about the Hood pick and increasingly meh about the Exum pick. :/ Oh well.
                          I repeat!
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Let's try not to panic just yet. Summer league will not give us any real indication as to whether Hood or Exum will be good pros. I just hope Exum doesn't show as poorly as Aaron Gordon with one of the all-time worst PERs of summer league history. Wait...what?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                              Let's try not to panic just yet. Summer league will not give us any real indication as to whether Hood or Exum will be good pros. I just hope Exum doesn't show as poorly as Aaron Gordon with one of the all-time worst PERs of summer league history. Wait...what?
                              Gordon had one game where he played 25 minutes and didn't get a rebound or a blocked shot. I think he scored 2 points on 2-2 FTs in that game, so there's that.

With Exum, I think we're going to learn a lot this summer about where he's at in terms of his ability to play minutes in the NBA. Besides summer league, he'll be playing in that FIBA World Championship, which should get him some good exposure.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                                Let's try not to panic just yet. Summer league will not give us any real indication as to whether Hood or Exum will be good pros. I just hope Exum doesn't show as poorly as Aaron Gordon with one of the all-time worst PERs of summer league history. Wait...what?
                                You only have to worry about SMR. He'll be calling the kid a bust after his first turnover in summer league.
                                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X