Are the Olympics Still a Thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Olympics Still a Thing?

There was a time when the Olympic Games was the sporting event I most looked forward to. My earliest Olympic memories were of Olga Korbut, Mark Spitz and Bruce Jenner. Those were the days. This time around I don't anticipate watching much more than Taylor Sander. Is there anything else worth queuing up in the DVR?
    Last edited by Non Sequitur; 07-24-2021, 12:37 PM.
    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Yes
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I love watching gymnastics and swimming. But only in the olympics for some reason. If it's on tv some random Saturday I'd never sit and watch.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

For me it's about seeing the nations of the world come together.

Comment

I struggle with it being on the other side of the world, especially in the Twitter age. But I still watch.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Im looking forward to the speed climbing, featuring that amazing guy from Iran. Honnold will be the color commentator, even though he is not a speed climber. But he is entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
              Im looking forward to the speed climbing, featuring that amazing guy from Iran. Honnold will be the color commentator, even though he is not a speed climber. But he is entertaining.
              Is speed climbing a new sport this year? I'd tune in to that. Also skateboards. Otherwise, I've been a solid 'meh' this year. Just really not excited to see much.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

Is speed climbing a new sport this year? I'd tune in to that. Also skateboards. Otherwise, I've been a solid 'meh' this year. Just really not excited to see much.
                You truly are a commie.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

You truly are a commie.
                  Maybe it's because I'm not excited to see politically active athletes trash the US of A, have you ever thought of that?!?
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

Maybe it's because I'm not excited to see politically active athletes trash the US of A, have you ever thought of that?!?
                    haha I'm sure your comment was tic, but I really like it when they 'trash the US of A' because that shows us that we belong to a country whose government is capable of absorbing criticism without punishing free speech. You don't see Chinese athletes making a peep, do you? Lots of Americans making it known that they would prefer the Chinese/Cuban/Iranian approach.

I am cheering for the US athletes, but I do get a kick out of the basketball team taking lumps from teams like France, Nigeria, and, coming to a tv near you, Australia.

Also, a kid from Mesa just took the bronze medal in skateboarding street style. Very cool. I have to say skateboarding is long overdue in the olympics- it's a perfect event for the Olympic format imo.
                    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                      There was a time when the Olympic Games was the sporting event I most looked forward to. My earliest Olympic memories were of Olga Korbut, Mark Spitz and Bruce Jenner. Those were the days. This time around I don't anticipate watching much more than Taylor Sander. Is there anything else worth queuing up in the DVR?
                      I miss the days of the Dan and Dave hype.

Comment

Originally posted by LVAllen View Post

I miss the days of the Dan and Dave hype.
                        That was awesome. Dave missed the olympics and Reebok had to pull one of the greatest advertising pivots of all-time.

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post

That was awesome. Dave missed the olympics and Reebok had to pull one of the greatest advertising pivots of all-time.
                          I thought Dan missed the olympics and I remember Dave limped home to a bronze. Funny enough, Dan went in to win gold in Atlanta. But then again, I could have the two mixed up.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Mu looked great last night in the first roundof the 800. All 3 US ladies moved on to the Semi- finals. She is amazing, just turned 19 and runs a 2 flat like it is nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

I thought Dan missed the olympics and I remember Dave limped home to a bronze. Funny enough, Dan went in to win gold in Atlanta. But then again, I could have the two mixed up.
                              You know either way it doesn't matter-- the decathlete that missed the olympics was the friends we made along the way...

Comment

Working...
                              X