No announcement yet.

The official triathlon thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outstanding race report, jp. I did a couple of tris back in grad school about 15 years ago, but have started to feel the itch again recently. Reading about your experience has got me wishing I had something on the calendar to look forward to.

Comment

That was a great write-up, and glad you did well. Thanks for sharing the experience.

Comment

I enjoyed the report as well. Congrats on a great effort. I'd be very interested in doing a tri (I've got the running and cycling parts down fairly well, I think), but as it also involves being cold and wet for extended periods, while being kicked and elbowed in the head, I've decided against this path.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
          Outstanding race report, jp. I did a couple of tris back in grad school about 15 years ago, but have started to feel the itch again recently. Reading about your experience has got me wishing I had something on the calendar to look forward to.
          I hear the weather will be nice in Oceanside in March 2014 . . .

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          I enjoyed the report as well. Congrats on a great effort. I'd be very interested in doing a tri (I've got the running and cycling parts down fairly well, I think), but as it also involves being cold and wet for extended periods, while being kicked and elbowed in the head, I've decided against this path.
          You have a good background for it. Regarding the kicking and elbowing, some sprint triathlons have the swim portion in a pool. You just swim your laps in a lane.
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

OK, so maybe a tri isn't a good idea for me. We did a very tough bike ride this morning and when we returned, we realized we had forgotten to put an outgoing letter in our mailbox, and the letter carrier had already driven by and was on to the next cul de sac. So I ran to give her the letter, and my legs started screaming WTF? (per KL, F means fetch). A couple hundred yards was all I could muster. If I sit in the spa for an hour, that will complete the aquatic portion of today's tri, possibly my last.

Comment

great report! I can't believe your first tri was a half im.

I'm doing a sprint tomorrow. I'll post a full report.
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                OK, so maybe a tri isn't a good idea for me. We did a very tough bike ride this morning and when we returned, we realized we had forgotten to put an outgoing letter in our mailbox, and the letter carrier had already driven by and was on to the next cul de sac. So I ran to give her the letter, and my legs started screaming WTF? (per KL, F means fetch). A couple hundred yards was all I could muster. If I sit in the spa for an hour, that will complete the aquatic portion of today's tri, possibly my last.
                Your legs get used to it after you do a few bricks. Also, I kinda enjoy the energy of the swim, despite the fact I suck at it.
                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

This weekend was insane. Swim 3 miles on Sat am, ride 100 miles Sat pm, ride 36 more miles Sunday mid-day, run 11 Sat pm. Two days, 150 miles. I have two more weeks of this, and then taper.

My body is starting to adjust, finally. On the run last night I felt awesome and turned in some 8:00 miles before I backed off (I walked the last mile as a cool down, but not before stopping at a store to get some chocolate milk and an ice cream sandwich).

I also can't eat enough to keep up with my training, so I'm probably going to line up for this thing at 175, a full ten pounds lighter than my lightest race (and ten pounds more than I want to be for my next one, fwiw). This training has taken a lot of time but it has also been really fun. I think I have my nutrition plan down and have my three goals set. This is going to be super tough but I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                    This weekend was insane. Swim 3 miles on Sat am, ride 100 miles Sat pm, ride 36 more miles Sunday mid-day, run 11 Sat pm. Two days, 150 miles. I have two more weeks of this, and then taper.

My body is starting to adjust, finally. On the run last night I felt awesome and turned in some 8:00 miles before I backed off (I walked the last mile as a cool down, but not before stopping at a store to get some chocolate milk and an ice cream sandwich).

I also can't eat enough to keep up with my training, so I'm probably going to line up for this thing at 175, a full ten pounds lighter than my lightest race (and ten pounds more than I want to be for my next one, fwiw). This training has taken a lot of time but it has also been really fun. I think I have my nutrition plan down and have my three goals set. This is going to be super tough but I'm looking forward to it.
                    Wow; quite the weekend. It sounds like you'll be ready to go. I'd like to get lighter, too - especially for the running. I've stayed a shade under 200 lbs. since St. George, but I'm going to adjust my diet to eliminate some junk calories.

I looked at your international-distance times again now that I have a better feel for triathlon. You were pretty damn fast in that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                      Wow; quite the weekend. It sounds like you'll be ready to go. I'd like to get lighter, too - especially for the running. I've stayed a shade under 200 lbs. since St. George, but I'm going to adjust my diet to eliminate some junk calories.

I looked at your international-distance times again now that I have a better feel for triathlon. You were pretty damn fast in that one.
                      I had a sucky swim in that one - got way off course. The bike was decent, but the run was pretty good (and tough!)

I'm doing that same race this year and I think I'll be faster due to equipment alone - my tri bike gives me 1-2 mph and I have better transition stuff. Would like to work up the leaderboards a bit but the 35-39 age group is intense!

Comment

• Former Steeler receiver Hines Ward competed at St. Anthony's over the weekend:

http://edge.raceresults360.com/satri...13671751265040

He averaged 20.7 mph on the bike and 8:18 min/mile for the run. I wonder if he's dropped much weight compared to his playing days.

Comment

Former Steeler receiver Hines Ward competed at St. Anthony's over the weekend:

He averaged 20.7 mph on the bike and 8:18 min/mile for the run. I wonder if he's dropped much weight compared to his playing days.
                          I think there are several folks here who would beat him. And even I could make a run at him.

Comment

Former Steeler receiver Hines Ward competed at St. Anthony's over the weekend:

I'm impressed. Weird triathlon--olympic distance with a sprint swim? All three legs are decent (for a non-swimmer) and that T1 is smoking fast.
                            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• You're joking about the T1, right? Otherwise, I agree - very respectable times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                                You're joking about the T1, right? Otherwise, I agree - very respectable times.
                                Ha...I read it wrong. I thought it was 21 seconds (next column). So yeah--not so fast. What the heck was he doing?
                                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Working...
                                X