Tour de CUF?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Borg
    Tour de CS 2013?
    • Dec 2008
    • 1501

    #1

    Tour de CUF?

    beelzebabette's post got me thinking...

    Could we do a virtual "Tour de CUF"? A four stage virtual bike race....

    Stage #1 - a 20 mile on flats and small rollers
    Stage #2 - a 30 mile with two significant climbs
    Stage #3 - a 40 mile with one significant climb
    Stage #4 - a 50 mile flat and small rollers
    (just examples...routes are open for discussion)

    Since we all don't live in the same areas...we'd have to post the route, and for the climbs, extrapolate the numbers a bit for those climbing higher/longer type routes.

    We could submit our routes in our respective areas, and try to match them up as closely as possible prior to the start.

    Each entry would have one week to complete the stage...or, be dropped from the "Tour".

    At the end of the month, the 2009 "Tour de CUF" winner would be named!

    Too complicated?....any takers? Thinking maybe mid August through mid September?
    "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

    Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.
  • BigPiney
    Huge Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 12365

    #2
    I like the idea. We would have to define what a significant climb is cause I got a freaking Alpe D'huez sitting out my front door:


    "John Summerson ranked this climb #30 in his authoritative The Complete Guide to Climbing (By Bike). With a profile similar to Alpe d’Huez (10 miles and 3,750 feet of climbing) it should do well as the weekend’s appetizer." http://www.adventuresonabike.com/200...er-climbs-iii/
    Last edited by BigPiney; 07-12-2009, 07:54 PM.

    Comment

    • BigPiney
      Huge Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 12365

      #3
      I am the only one who thinks this is a great idea?

      Should we hold off till the cyclist Vs. Runners thingy is done? I think this would be a great next challenge.

      Comment

      • creekster
        It is NOT a monkey!
        • Nov 2008
        • 22661

        #4
        I wouldnmt mind it, but Ithink it does need to wait a bit.

        Here is my freakin alpe d'huez that is onyl a couple miles form my house:





        Max. grade: 16%
        Main climb:
        Avg. grade: 5.4% (elev. gain/dist)
        Length: 11.28 miles (18.15 km)
        Elev. gain: 3220 feet (981 m)
        Entire profile:
        Avg. grade: 5.8%
        Length: 11.37 miles (18.29 km)
        Climb: 3365 feet (1026 m)
        Descent: 145 feet (44 m)
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

        Comment

        • Viking
          Banned
          • Jun 2009
          • 6470

          #5
          Originally posted by creekster View Post
          I wouldnmt mind it, but Ithink it does need to wait a bit.

          Here is my freakin alpe d'huez that is onyl a couple miles form my house:



          The 16% lasts about 60 yards but it's right at the end. Brutal. I love that ride...used to do it once a month.

          Comment

          • beelzebabette
            Golf & Cubs Disrespecter
            • Nov 2008
            • 2907

            #6
            Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
            I am the only one who thinks this is a great idea?

            Should we hold off till the cyclist Vs. Runners thingy is done? I think this would be a great next challenge.
            No. Great idea. I like the idea on holding off a month on it, though. Wanna take the reins for the next cycling challenge?

            Comment

            • bluegoose
              7th round draft pick
              • Nov 2008
              • 4121

              #7
              I like the idea, especially the part about spreading it out over a month. With marathon season upon me and my household, getting more than 1 quality ride in per week is going to be tough. As it is, the 50 miler may be tough, but I should be able to squeeze it in.

              Comment

              • ERCougar
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 10978

                #8
                I was searching around looking for the accounts of the first round of the Tahoe ride when I came across this. We should do this! Anyone else up for it, or should we just put it off until next years TdF?
                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                Comment

                • Borg
                  Tour de CS 2013?
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 1501

                  #9
                  Yeah...I was kind of partial to the idea myself!

                  It would probably have to be massaged to the point of only having mostly flat distances because the climbs could not be matched up very closely.

                  Could do incremental distances and a time trial of some sort...could do lots of things...but, I think it would be fun to try.
                  "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

                  Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

                  Comment

                  • ERCougar
                    Junior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10978

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Borg View Post
                    Yeah...I was kind of partial to the idea myself!

                    It would probably have to be massaged to the point of only having mostly flat distances because the climbs could not be matched up very closely.

                    Could do incremental distances and a time trial of some sort...could do lots of things...but, I think it would be fun to try.
                    We could even make it not a competition, per se. Just post some criteria for a ride (min miles and min elevation gain) for the week and have everyone post their rides. Maybe make a competition on the flats.
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                    Comment

                    • beelzebabette
                      Golf & Cubs Disrespecter
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 2907

                      #11
                      I'd forgotten about this, but still think it's a great idea. Borg, wanna make this happen? Your original criteria is fine with me. (I'd just suggest clarification of "significant climb," e.g., longer than 7K, average gradient at least 6%.)

                      Comment

                      • ERCougar
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 10978

                        #12
                        Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
                        I'd forgotten about this, but still think it's a great idea. Borg, wanna make this happen? Your original criteria is fine with me. (I'd just suggest clarification of "significant climb," e.g., longer than 7K, average gradient at least 6%.)
                        Mapmyride will grade climbs on your route. We could use their ratings as part of the criteria.
                        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                        Comment

                        • Borg
                          Tour de CS 2013?
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 1501

                          #13
                          BBB-

                          Well, I could, but it would have to be later. I'm in charge of keeping together and planning a 12 man relay team for the Epic Relay in mid August, and also helping to plan our relay team for Lotoja.

                          My "planning" chip is peaking in August/Sept.

                          Let me put some thought to it, and may bounce it off a couple of you, and then it might have to run itself as I'm fairly taxed with work, school, Lotoja, Relay...oh, and family! ....oh, and church! ......oh, and....
                          "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

                          Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

                          Comment

                          • Coach McGuirk
                            1
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 12109

                            #14
                            I am in.

                            Comment

                            • Pheidippides
                              Liberal Feminazi
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 14759

                              #15
                              I would love to do this if you won't hold lack of hills against me. I have to drive to Arkansas to get anything remotely approaching a climb.
                              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                              Comment

                              Working...